Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

I left the USN in '72 ...bought my stereo system (sight unseen) from a PX catalog . Pioneer receiver & speakers and a Garrard TT. ()

It wasn't till '76 that I was able to upgrade anything. Walked into a thrift store and saw a pristine TT across the room. Went over and it was a Dual 701 with owners manual and nary a scratch anywhere , and had a V-15T3 mounted. No price on it.
    I had grown up with nice German Leica's & Rollei's. .... and could see the quality aura around it.
    Took it up to the register and in my best redneck voice asked "Whadda want for the RECORD PLAYER" ?? In an equal voice the clerk replied "TWO DOLLARS AND 99 CENTS" . I hurriedly ripped out my $3 and got started on the upgrade path.

The 701 was Duals TOTL TT at the time. I think their first DD. It was big and heavy and beautiful. Built in leveling bubble, adjustable angle strobe , fully auto and quiet as can be.
    I used it up till about 10 years ago until the PS died. parts NA. sold it for a couple hundred to a Dual rebuilding house , they even paid boxing and shipping. I gave them the sled, but kept the V-15
    That cart is still playing in the PL-530. For all my time , it has been running through the MM inputs on receivers/preamps.
    Just recently I acquired a ROTEL phono EQ. Am not going to do the "veil is lifted" routine , but the result in surely better. The setup sounded nicer than it ever has.
    If you don't already have one, when you do get that dream TT , an outboard preamp/eq may be a worthy addition.
    I looked up the model ...RQ-9708X . You can get a nice one for not too much, but there are many other choices available.
    A good location for finding V-15/T3's is defunct Philips TT's. It was the OEM cart. Just add stylus and away you go.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Denon RP 53

My current turntable is a Denon RP53 idler drive made in 1962. Refurbished & mounted in a plinth.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's my Denon

unfortunately it doesn't get used enough . It and the 250Ti's are in the living-room and I'm just not out there often.

OBTW ..the record weight is an old TT counter weight with a 45 adapter glued to the bottom , works great.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    unfortunately it doesn't get used enough . It and the 250Ti's are in the living-room and I'm just not out there often.

OBTW ..the record weight is an old TT counter weight with a 45 adapter glued to the bottom , works great.
    Looking at the record, it has Impulse label, major jazz brand.
    Do jazz LPs sound good on your turntable in terms of details and bass?

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Looking at the record, it has Impulse label, major jazz brand.
    Do jazz LPs sound good on your turntable in terms of details and bass?
    That's Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz

I wouldn't really call it Jazz tho , more like BIG BAND . but...with RC doin' his thang on a B3, and YES ...it sounds wonderful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius_%2B_Soul_%3D_Jazz

Beeman-Beautiful Deck!, Had no idea that Denon .......

was even making turntables way back then. And a Fi X to power it with, that is one sweet system! Don Garber is the Man! . Ps. - What are you using for a phono preamp ?, I'm always looking for suggestions in that regard. Paul, Providence, RI
    Last edited by wpod; 06-30-2014 at 06:34 AM. Reason: forgot something
    JBL 4343, JBL L300 Summit, UREI 811, JBL 4311, JBL 4301, JBL L5, JBL L50, JBL L100 , to name a few

I got my V-15 VXLM here (thx Mr.W) ....it has an interesting setup helper.

it includes a template (for lack of better term) ... that doubles as a secure holder when in the box and a great guide.
    You mount the cartridge in the headshell , but don't tighten down the securing bolts. Remove stylus and snap cart into the guide/template. The other end has holes that go over the spindle.
    One for inner tracks and one for outer.
    You place the guide over the spindle and it rotates and sets overhang for the cart. Then tighten down the bolts/screws , remove guide and reinstall stylus.

it set mine just a little non-parallel with the side of the shell , and sounds perfect.

I found a pic on ebay:

yes, I have a V-15/T3 on my everyday TT , and a V-15/VXLM on my best one. I too, really like the V-15 (from 3 on up) family sound. There is an ex-Shure employee making pretty good replacement styli and sells on eBay. http://www.ewsaunders.com/

In 20/20 hindsight, it seems you should have kept the old Linn and have the arm of your choice fitted and only sell the then replaced arm ?

I drove to Canada for my 250Ti's and many here have driven further for their chosen gear.
    I have a v15 t4 on my empire 598. I too like how it sounds. Im using an sas stylus but will look at your link.
    4410A's, K-120's in the Fender Twin, E-140 Hemp Cone in Bass Cab, UREI 6260, 2 loose LE8T's, Lancer 33's

Quote Originally Posted by chris21 View Post
    I have a v15 t4 on my empire 598. I too like how it sounds. Im using an sas stylus but will look at your link.
    I had an extra T4 that needed a stylus and a friend in OZ who needed one.
    Checked with Ed (you do get personal replies from him) .... looks like there wasn't
    a separate T4 specific one ... it uses the T3 , and sounds great too.

Keep thinking about getting a new whizbang cart, but the old V-15 sounds too good to replace.

Santa Cruz ? Beautiful place. I went to school in Monterey and got up to SC whenever possible. My kids loved a day at the boardwalk and UCSC ? Oh, WOW.

I had an extra T4 that needed a stylus and a friend in OZ who needed one.
    Checked with Ed (you do get personal replies from him) .... looks like there wasn't
    a separate T4 specific one ... it uses the T3 , and sounds great too.

Keep thinking about getting a new whizbang cart, but the old V-15 sounds too good to replace.

Santa Cruz ? Beautiful place. I went to school in Monterey and got up to SC whenever possible. My kids loved a day at the boardwalk and UCSC ? Oh, WOW.
    I was just looking at eds ebay stuff and he has a t4 for 99 usd. The sas I bought was more like 130.
    4410A's, K-120's in the Fender Twin, E-140 Hemp Cone in Bass Cab, UREI 6260, 2 loose LE8T's, Lancer 33's

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    And rightly so. Rega is no more than a slab of particle board with a plastic hub and a glass platter. No suspension worth talking of. It's about the least , sparest design you could come up with to get a record spinning.
    Rega does at last have some new decks with some sensible desin ideas in them , twenty years late.
    Me no a fan !!
    Hi Mac,

Your mailbox is full, so I can't send you a PM with the Linn pics...
    So, check my email with the pics:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?hl...81ea3f4f53a063

Somebody has taken a 530 like mine , added a V15T3 (like I did) and added a very nice wood base (like I'd like to) and made a rather nice auto TT ..

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/4643875096.html

Absolutely - What a gorgeous looking TT.
    Beautiful wood ... thanks for sharing!

Name:  Pioneer-TT.jpg
Views: 3464
Size:  40.8 KB

Somebody has taken a 530 like mine , added a V15T3 (like I did)
    and added a very nice wood base (like I'd like to) and made a rather nice auto TT ..

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/4643875096.html
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    And rightly so. Rega is no more than a slab of particle board with a plastic hub and a glass platter. No suspension worth talking of. It's about the least , sparest design you could come up with to get a record spinning.
    Rega does at last have some new decks with some sensible desin ideas in them , twenty years late.
    Me no a fan !!

Sometimes that's all it takes and to each his own

The LP12 is nothing more than an outdated mediocre design at best, by today's standards

During the days of the 1200 series Duals and the like it was a definite upgrade to the standard fare and one of the better decks available to the masses, but today? And that mainly thanks to simply being a belt drive in a rim drive world and using a better than typical arm which Linn did not even manufacture.

Finicky, aggravating antiquated sprung deck that is a real money maker for good old Ivor with the ENDLESS stream of mods and upgrades not to mention the parts that wear out.

LP12 reminds me of the 1990s Frank Sinatra. No one had the balls to tell him it was time to hang it up. Thing is though, the LP12 has never sounded as good as Frank did, in either one of their heydays.

Funny too that today even Linn sells a REGA clone!

I'll take a properly set up REGA with a nice cartridge over a Linn LP12 any day of the week

Except if someone gave it to me and I could sell it

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Absolutely - What a gorgeous looking TT.
    Beautiful wood ... thanks for sharing!

Name:  Pioneer-TT.jpg
Views: 3464
Size:  40.8 KB
    I emailed the seller with my complements and asked about his methods.
    Kind reply was:

"Tom, Hi and thanks for the interest. I am always happy to help.

In my ad the plinth was the original for the turntable. I did the wood veneer myself. The turntable has to be stripped down first and the 530 can look a little intimidating but it’s pretty straight forward. (be careful of the tonearm wires and the tone arm mounting. The plastic tone arm base is a little delicate.) After the turntable has been stripped down you just need to remove (peel off) the original veneer(a hair dryer can help to loosen the glue), sand the particle board base (repair any damaged edges or corners) and then cut out and apply the new veneer. Prior to applying the new veneer you need to make a template for all the cutouts and mounting holes because you have to drill the holes and cutout the mounting areas after the new veneer is applied. After cutting out the holes and mounting areas the veneer can then be finished. I usually use tung oil or Danish oil. The type of finish is entirely up to you. There are some on ebay that sell this service but it’s much cheaper to do it yourself.

For the covers I use the Novus plastic polish system.
    How scratched and/or scuffed up the cover is determines where/how I start. Either steel wool (0000, or 000) and/or wet/dry sanding (start with 1500 grit and finish with 2500 grit). If you must start with the steel wool do not skip the wet sanding sequence.
    After sanding I use the Novus #3, then move on to #2 and finish with #1. Occasionally I will use McGuire’s plastics polish (sold as a headlight polish). It tends to give the cover somewhat of a “wet look”.

If you have any questions just let me know.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Thread Information