Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Large studio monitor clone take two

Ian, that little x/o looks very simple yet exactly what I need. Might go ahead and try it.

Bstleve, LME49860 is dual, I need single opamp. Funny thing is I bought 10pcs of LME dual opamp by mistake... I must get the proper chips after all. Either way I'm so happy with where these clones have gotten me. Great experience.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    If you care to upgrate discrete might be the way to go.

The problem with the chips is they can generally not be biased sufficiently into class A without overheating.

You can try class A biasing with a pull down resister on the output from the negative rail just for grins just be careful of overall power dissipation.

Some of the best big hi end names used this trick to up the hifi Uber of their solid state offerings

Here is a ready made discrete pcb kit from a guy who previously worked for Mark Levisnon.

The actual circuit you buy with the kit. It is not unlike the buffers used in the Bryston and the DX1

Scroll down and there is a xover kit. I have bought the kit but not had time to put it into service on my diy 4345

http://www.ska-audio.com/
    Have you tried any of their other items?

I have built 2 amps with GB150D. They sound good.

Only real issue was that they were allergic to 2245's (output's fried at just a little pressure). Did work flawlessly with the Sovereign's.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    Bstleve, LME49860 is dual, I need single opamp. Funny thing is I bought 10pcs of LME dual opamp by mistake... I must get the proper chips after all. Either way I'm so happy with where these clones have gotten me. Great experience.
    Single version is LME49870.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Can't find dip8.
    LME49710 looks good too tho.

Cool

Can't find dip8.
    LME49710 looks good too tho.
    You can get adapter boards, ebay has them, one is called a browndog adapter.

I just solder them into DIP sockets. Solder some wire wrap wire into the sockets of the machined pins. Then carefully solder to the tiny little legs.

I just ordered up some samples of the dual and single.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Been some time.

I've recently acquired the minidsp digital crossover thingy with a umik-1 calibrated measurement microphone. Apart from that I treated myself with a macbook pro and an echo audiofire4 firewire soundcard. These tools enabled me to make the first speaker measurements in my life. Other than that I managed to make use of REW in order to compensate for room modes.

The results were astonishing for me.

I started out by butchering up a new filter for in between the 2235h (LR 24db HPF @340Hz) and 2123h (LR 12db LPF @340Hz). Also I put a 48Hz HPF @10Hz because it felt like a good idea.

Being ignorant and all it seemed to work better than the analog 24db@340Hz previously employed on both the HP and LP. The minidsp also benefitted in my system with an absolute lack of ground loop - more soothing silence from all of the drivers. Low level buzz be gone!

From there I did a 10-20000Hz sweep in REW and made my first big discovery. The room modes were so damn big, that I was running way low on the average bass level to compensate for those mind blowing resonances mudding up the rest of the frequency range. In order to get the average level on par with the upper 3-way i had to crank it up quite a bit. 1/3 smoothed plot now started looking flat apart from the huge bumps at room modes. I then had REW calculate the filters to tame the bass, imported them to the minidsp and made some listening tests.

Was I in for a treat.

Finally the bloated with room modes bass was not interfering with the remaining sound spectrum. I don't care if you've heard it a thousand times before, even from me in this thread. The speakers now reproduce music, and they do it properly. Listening has become relaxing, non annoying. The soundstage has grown heaps. Clarity is spot on. No harshness. All of that from a box lighter than the interconnects connected to it. It looks funny, but I don't care. Any other minidsp fans out there? I'm getting me a tattoo... well maybe not.

Please bear in mind I'm not the overly analytical kind of dude, I like to jump on things, and get them going. 2 hrs of stumbling over the software to get this magnitude of a result? Awesome.

I bet I can further enhance the results by calculating different eq filters for the left and right bass channels since one speaker is in a corner and the other has only a wall behind it.

I shall now proceed to return to the couch.

Obsolete
    Any other minidsp fans out there?
    I use one with my collection of Everest II components.
    Please bear in mind I'm not the overly analytical kind of dude, I like to jump on things, and get them going. 2 hrs of stumbling over the software to get this magnitude of a result? Awesome.
    That's been my experience so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    That's been my experience so far.
    I don't know if I understood that^ part properly, but if so...

Anyway I managed to record and edit a vid of my setup in action. I think posting it here will be a great way to sum up the project. Bombs away:

Goal

Hey Amnes,
    You are one of the examples who helped me to take the jump ....... to do a DIY.

Very nice result!

I'd like mine to be as nice, but still far away from it.
    I bombed it away.

Thread Information