Page 89 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2133

Thread: JBL Performance Series

Have you looked into having the 1400 amps repaired? Running the PT800/PS1400 in a stacked setup, using the built-in 130 htz xo will provide the best "full range" speaker.
    Alternately, using other plate amps for the 1400s, or using completely different subs, with the 800s sitting on top, with the AVR's xo @ 80 htz is almost as good, depending on the musical quality of the sub. Or sending a full range signal to the plate amp speaker line inputs and using the speaker line outs to the 800.
    I've done this using a pair of diy subs, using JBL SUB1500 drivers and BASH plate amps. Similar to Mike's sub1500 setup
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    From what I can tell the PS1400 plate amp is a sort of goofy amp with independently adjustable high level & LFE inputs. Then the high level out is just jumped into a 130Hz passive crossover before going to the PT800 dock outputs, with no other electronic high pass figured into the amplifier itself. Is this right?
    Near as I can tell, ALL output to the driver is via the amp, there's no passive throughput. At least with mine, turning off or unplugging the amp results in no output either from the LFE input or the speaker input. No output at all, or so little as to be inaudible. The PT800 still functions normally when the PS1400 is off so that high-pass is passive.

The amp is the only failure I've read about with the PS1400. IMHO, the PS1400 has little use other than for stacking with PT800. As a sub it's not up to par for LFE, although I do use them for LFE along with my other sub(s). One PS1400 is almost as useless as none.

If you think it's heavy now, try bolting a PT800 on top and then move it.

I do think it's worth trying for a stack for the PT800s, whether it be with PS1400s or some similar DIY. Unfortunately the PS1400 is rare as can be alone, and usually stripped with no hardware and beat up too.

Mike Ronesia
    Here is what I did and the 8400's seem to work for my room. Easy to find and most likely cheaper. It's not the perfect answer but I think the look is close and they cover the LFE better. I also think the amp might be a little better then the 1400's amp.

I updated my Avatar for you guys. I hope that it will make Dome chuckle as he warned me about what I was getting into.

I might consider going the semi DIY route. PE recently started carrying these guys, which I've been eyeballing to replace my current (ugly) enclosures that I have my ED 15" subs in. There are 1/2/3 cuft versions with different finishes. Maybe if they go on sale I'll buy four. I suspect the finished 3cuft boxes would sale around $150 or so.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-844

I must admit, don't have tools or the skill to finish a box. Though I can definitely assemble and add braces to a prefab. I really like the replaceable baffle to allow updating drivers and trying ported/sealed tunings.

I figure two of these, two of the 500w BASH or PE plate amps (PE has para eq), and two drivers would cost out pretty competitively vs another PS1400. Not to mention I could then offload the 1400 I have.

I know you guys love the Sub 1500's, but those are gone. What's the current equivalent? Balanced for music and LFE...
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Scratch all my previous babble. I hooked the PS1400 up tonight (amp is the problem) to another plate amplifier and do not feel it is worth all the struggle to fix and locate another PS1400. The plate amp I used was an Dayton 500 model providing around 250rms / 500 peak and I was getting audible distortion before clipping. I think the PS1400 could really shine with maybe a 40Hz filter, but for the money I feel there are better matches to my tastes and will deal with running LFE+main into a conventional sub or pair of subs.

However, I did listen to the PT800's paired with my current ED subs and quite like them. They and the PC600 will be staying in my family. So my mission is now to sell the PS1400 off and eventually locate two more PT800's.

However, I did listen to the PT800's paired with my current ED subs and quite like them. They and the PC600 will be staying in my family. So my mission is now to sell the PS1400 off and eventually locate two more PT800's.
    You might find that with minor EQ, the PT800/PC600 play very nice with your 250ti as mains in a surround setup.

PM me if you want to talk about parting out the PS1400, or at least the docking hardware.

Obsolete
    Scratch all my previous babble. I hooked the PS1400 up tonight (amp is the problem) to another plate amplifier and do not feel it is worth all the struggle to fix and locate another PS1400. The plate amp I used was an Dayton 500 model providing around 250rms / 500 peak and I was getting audible distortion before clipping. I think the PS1400 could really shine with maybe a 40Hz filter, but for the money I feel there are better matches to my tastes and will deal with running LFE+main into a conventional sub or pair of subs.

The PS1400 is the weakest link thanks to Marketing. Think of the Performance Series as a modern extension of the L250/250Ti but without the superlative bottom end due to the too small LE14 enclosure. The LE14H-3 is an excellent evolution of the LE14H-1. The 908Ti and 904Ti are arguably excellent evolutions of the 108H and 104H. The little Audax tweeter offers genuinely smooth high frequency response that is very easy to live with, although it lacks the sheer power and dynamics of the old 044Ti (which some prefer with a coat of aquaplas to take the "zing" out).

The LE14H-3 is a really nice driver in 3.5 to 4.0 cubic foot boxes tuned around 28 to 30 Hz (Citation 7.4, 240Ti, 250Ti). They like a nice amp with a decent current dump when necessary.

The LE14H-3 you have is particularly attractive since the terminals face down. Too bad you don't have two of them.

The LE14H-3 is easily eclipsed by a real, dedicated subwoofer transducer such as the 1500SUB, W1500H or W1500H-1.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The PS1400 is the weakest link thanks to Marketing. Think of the Performance Series as a modern extension of the L250/250Ti but without the superlative bottom end due to the too small LE14 enclosure.
    Yeah, leave it to marketing to screw up the engineering/design of a system.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Yeah, leave it to marketing to screw up the engineering/design of a system.
    I don't see how it could look "right" though built any other way than the way it was built. It all looks reasonably well scaled. Compromises...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I don't see how it could look "right" though built any other way than the way it was built. It all looks reasonably well scaled. Compromises...
    There is always a compromise, somewhere. But they could have made the 1400 box deeper to provide a less of a compromise.
    3 Everests set up in an amphitheatre, might be considered as no compromise.

Got the replacement PT800 tweeters and grilles today - bought a set of tweeters and swapped them out as a pair. I was disappointed to see the 800/1400 grilles have no logos. So when stacked with the grilles on there is no visible logo? Seems odd to me. I guess the 600 has to carry that torch for the system? Maybe that was why Harman was nice enough to send me two PC600 grilles?

Finally got them properly hooked up, re-flatted the Denon and dialed in the subs. I've had them up on top of the L7's using the L7's eq/level settings before tonight...

I gotta tell ya, I am really liking these sats. First speakers I've had in a long time that I am happy with set completely flat. I've always preferred the 035 tweeter to this one but I'm liking this mid enough that it pushes the PT800's ahead. Enough that I am considering getting some stands for them and storing the L7's. The ED subs blend well with them, I must have some room modes getting stirred up when the L7's are making bass too. The really sound wonderful. Totally worth the drive to Chicago.

The only thing stopping me is having to rebuild the dang console again to try and fit the giant PC600 in. I just did this because of a new TV and as luck would have it I'm about an inch short in height. If it's not one thing it's another. Well anyways here's the cousins fighting it out for survival. The camera flash is pretty flattering to the L7's lower baffle...

PS to both Mikes - those non PS1400 stack setups look quite fine to me. I'm jealous.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with that 85lb PS1400. I REALLY do not want to be lugging that thing up and down from the basement. But I think it is wearing divots into my hardwood floors...

I've been lurking around this thread for a long time... I have:

6 - PT800
    1 - PC600
    2 - PS1400 w/ all hardware (1 has damaged cabinet)
    1 - McIntosh MC207
    1 - Marantz AV8003

I'm considering getting rid of all the system because I can't complete what I wanted. I was hoping to find another PS1400 to replace the one with the bad cabinet. Then add dual HTPS400 to compensate for ultra low end. Which everyone here knows finding either of those in excellent shape and affordable is completely impossible. If someone has a PS1400 cabinet or is parting one out I am interested. Other wise I will probably be taking offers on the system. I can say that PT800-PS1400 combo musically is absolutely awesome...

Anyone Help??

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by natelabo View Post
    I've been lurking around this thread for a long time... I have:

6 - PT800
    1 - PC600
    2 - PS1400 w/ all hardware (1 has damaged cabinet)
    1 - McIntosh MC207
    1 - Marantz AV8003

I'm considering getting rid of all the system because I can't complete what I wanted. I was hoping to find another PS1400 to replace the one with the bad cabinet. Then add dual HTPS400 to compensate for ultra low end. Which everyone here knows finding either of those in excellent shape and affordable is completely impossible. If someone has a PS1400 cabinet or is parting one out I am interested. Other wise I will probably be taking offers on the system. I can say that PT800-PS1400 combo musically is absolutely awesome...

Anyone Help??
    Did you PM Slare?

Mike Ronesia
    Got the replacement PT800 tweeters and grilles today - bought a set of tweeters and swapped them out as a pair. I was disappointed to see the 800/1400 grilles have no logos. So when stacked with the grilles on there is no visible logo? Seems odd to me. I guess the 600 has to carry that torch for the system? Maybe that was why Harman was nice enough to send me two PC600 grilles?

Finally got them properly hooked up, re-flatted the Denon and dialed in the subs. I've had them up on top of the L7's using the L7's eq/level settings before tonight...

I gotta tell ya, I am really liking these sats. First speakers I've had in a long time that I am happy with set completely flat. I've always preferred the 035 tweeter to this one but I'm liking this mid enough that it pushes the PT800's ahead. Enough that I am considering getting some stands for them and storing the L7's. The ED subs blend well with them, I must have some room modes getting stirred up when the L7's are making bass too. The really sound wonderful. Totally worth the drive to Chicago.

The only thing stopping me is having to rebuild the dang console again to try and fit the giant PC600 in. I just did this because of a new TV and as luck would have it I'm about an inch short in height. If it's not one thing it's another. Well anyways here's the cousins fighting it out for survival. The camera flash is pretty flattering to the L7's lower baffle...

PS to both Mikes - those non PS1400 stack setups look quite fine to me. I'm jealous.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with that 85lb PS1400. I REALLY do not want to be lugging that thing up and down from the basement. But I think it is wearing divots into my hardwood floors...

I just redesigned my cab as well. The 600 is sitting on top right now and not at the right hight so I needed to do something. I plan on doing the build in a couple of weeks when I have some vacation. I've been mulling over ideas for a long time and last weekend it finely popped into my head and now I can get it done.

I've been trying to find a standalone post type mount able to support the 54" Plasma... so the Plasma will be elevated high enough above the lower console to fit the PC600 in place. Then I can get rid of the upper shelf which I know is out of place.

Circuit city used to have post mounts like I'm looking for with their displays. I thought about buying one when they were going out of business... oh well.

I may end up just making one out of 4x4s.

Thread Information