Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: EVEREST DD66000

Everest Notes

Somebody estimated 277 Liters. You get an A. We figure the active volume is around 270 l. As with all Japan intended systems, the low end is deliberately lean. The published curve is an anechoic curve which is very hard to interpret with regard to real in-room response. The system has 3 dB more output at 30 Hz than a S9800. It has the tightest and best defined bass reproduction of any JBL, ever. It is not as fast as the 100 dB woofers, but goes much deeper. In multi-channel, the use of a sub is normal and will take care of the issue. In 2-channel, some EQ could easily be used as the woofers have tremendous headroom. We have already sold 4 sets of 3 Everest for front (RCL) channel use in a multi-channel setup. 2 sets in Japan and 2 sets in Europe. We have over 300 systems on order for delivery by the end of this year. It will be a world wide product, but the majority of the sales will be in Japan. The US will be the least as the general clientele here want cheap and small. We would love to build real product for the US, but there aren't enough people who would actually buy high end product to make it a money making venture. We do, however, offer really fine product through our Systhesis dealers. The Everest is no exception. We have a package system of 3 Everest, 4 18" subs and 8 SK2-1000's plus some really nice electronics for a cool $250k.

A note to Mr. "I hate electrolytics". The ones used in the Everest are there for a reason and you can replace them with "gold plated audiophile parts of the day" and the sound won't improve one bit.

A comment regarding the 2441, 375 or any other JBL compression driver. The 476Be is better in every way! It measures better in response, harmonic distortion and decay properties - period. More importantly, it just plain sounds better by a huge margin, unless you like hash, grit and false dynamics due to diaphragm breakup. We will be glad to sell you one for a cool $3500. Unfortunately, the extremely low volume and high labor content make the driver really expensive. The fact that we pay $530 for each raw Be diaphragm doesn't help much either.

One last thing, JBL will be at the CES in January playing the Everest. We will be in a Hilton suite. You are welcome to look us up. We tried to get in the Venetian with the other high end companies, but we were unable to get a room with decent size parameters. So come to thhe Hilton and I will personally show you the difference between Hi-Fi and real music. (The Gods permitting and the room not being too weird)

BillEpstein

The Chinese had already done it and no electrolytics

The XLH 1812's:

All JBL:
    2441 to 2-6" 2012's at 250Hz then a 2446 at 1200 and a 2405

350 Lb. cabinet with separate ported enclosures for 2441 and 2012's. Nothin' but film and oil caps and 12ga. coils.

The only thing louder than these in a domestic room might be somebody's wife screaming, "Get those ugly things out of here!".

If you need a sound system for a stadium concert in Beijing you go to XLH.

Greg,

You are up late, I'll bet you just arrived back.

Thankyou for yet another informative post.

Much appreciated to get to straight from The Man.

The crossovers appear to be in the main enclosure cavity.

Does this dispel another audiophile myth? Perhap there were some practical reasons for the above.

Its just that I find the various marketing techniques rather intriguing particularly when there is an apparent lack of continuity historically.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Greg,

You are up late, I'll bet you just arrived back.

Thankyou for yet another informative post.

Much appreciated to get to straight from The Man.

Ian
    I agree and thank you for time you spent doing the post. I really enjoyed it. I noticed the time you wrote it and it looks very early your time. Either you're an early person or you're doing something like Ian say.

Well, thank you again for the "Straight Talk", it's always a pleasure to read your post.

I do have two questions tho, if you have time...( you can answer any time should you choose)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers
    A note to Mr. "I hate electrolytics". The ones used in the Everest are there for a reason and you can replace them with "gold plated audiophile parts of the day" and the sound won't improve one bit.
    In general : as many of us are working on or planning to work to new crossovers I find your reply most interesting. What are the reasons you say this and what caps have you tested this with.. I'll really like to know more as I'm brain-dead on caps.

In particular : would CC'ing a PT800 prove useful and what you suggest for that and the crossover between the 800 and 1400??( answer to this might be better in PS thread should you choose to answer)

anyway, thank you again and hope you enjoyed your trip.

rick

Thanks Greg!

You cleared up some of the questions asked here in the forum.

Regarding the cap issues I believe that different types of caps will make a difference in a crossover circuit, but that does not always mean a improvement.

A lot has to do with what the engineer is doing with the crossover design. In that regard I understand what you are saying.

I hope that sometime in the future I might have a chance to see and hear the D66000's!

Great work from the JBL engineering staff on these!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Talking imagine That!

Multi-channel sound through DD66000s.

It's like I'm a prophet:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=721370

I kind of mention this in post #28 from three days ago.

Yes, John (HD4D) and I (filecat13) have been over there stirring up the JBL doubters.
    Out.

Hello Don

Would you have any pictures of the components?? Looking at what you have posted they had the compression driver in pieces including the phase plug, diaphram, the whole magilla. Also with the networks you can see the two LF networks and they appear to be running a mix of NPE and PP. Do you have any close ups on the networks?? I would like to get a closer look if you have them.

Thanks Greg for the post!!

Rob

As honest as your statements are, I feel you just told me, and everybody else, that JBL doesnt care about us, here, in your own country, the place that MADE JBL the coveted speakers they were. Although I respect your words, and definitely your knowledge, I dont like what you have said.
    Hi Scott,

You feel what you feel. I feel I was told the US doesn't care about nicer JBL (new consumer products), not the other way 'round. (not that I enjoy hearing that either...)

GT:
    We would love to build real product for the US
    ... and options were given, opportunities provided.

Not sure what more you would ask

-grumpy

As with all Japan intended systems, the low end is deliberately lean.
    I cannot understand how people can assume JBL has not designed things quite intentionally. JBL know this business, top to bottom (no pun intended) and you know your market.

...some EQ could easily be used as the woofers have tremendous headroom.
    Exactly. And, nice to see JBL are not "afraid" of appropriately applied EQ. We do not live in an anechoic world...

We have already sold 4 sets of 3 Everest for front (RCL) channel use in a multi-channel setup. 2 sets in Japan and 2 sets in Europe. We have over 300 systems on order for delivery by the end of this year. It will be a world wide product...
    My personal favorite part of this post. Fantastic news. Really.

The US will be the least as the general clientele here want cheap and small. We would love to build real product for the US, but there aren't enough people who would actually buy high end product to make it a money making venture.
    The culture of small and not seen deserves lousy audio. Those who get it, incorporate proper box volumes for proper sound reproduction into their decor plans. Pity there are so few, and that listening is secondary to decor...

ibid, part one, above...

One last thing, JBL will be at the CES in January playing the Everest. We will be in a Hilton suite. You are welcome to look us up. We tried to get in the Venetian with the other high end companies, but we were unable to get a room with decent size parameters.
    Acoustic discipline, above the quest for social status. Nice...

So come to the Hilton and I will personally show you the difference between Hi-Fi and real music. (The Gods permitting and the room not being too weird)
    I think I've got a new entry in my bookings! And maybe this time, what happens in Las Vegas won't stay in Las Vegas!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

... and options were given, opportunities provided.

Not sure what more you would ask

-grumpy
    Yes I would have to agree I don't see any of us running down to dealer and actually dropping the cash. We talk a lot but I don't see any buyers including me. At least not for big ticket items like a pair of 9800's. And that after all is what we are talking about.

Rob

scottyj

Hello Scott

I am not saying none of us spend any money on this stuff. You like the vintage sound the older drivers deliver. Nothing wrong with that!! I would love to be able to drop into a Synthesis dealer and set-up an audition for whatever he has but I would be wasting his time. I don't have that kind of money as you don't for 6 drivers. The funny thing though is if I look at what I have spent in drivers and recones for my next clones I would be well on the way for one of the smaller Array Systems. Once I do the networks and cabinets I would be even closer. So in my case maybe I could swing it but it wouldn't be anywhere near the TOTL Array cost wise and I think that's really the point. Wow are we getting off topic. This is a thread to cellebrate a new statement speaker not to question their marketing stategy.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    As honest as your statements are, I feel you just told me, and everybody else, that JBL doesnt care about us, here, in your own country, the place that MADE JBL the coveted speakers they were. Although I respect your words, and definitely your knowledge, I dont like what you have said.

I have a feeling Mr. Timbers doesn't like some of what he's read on this forum. JBL has, in a way, stuck their corporate neck out by allowing us such access to this Tokyo trip. I have to hand it to them for having the guts to give it a try...they've risked either further alienation of the domestic hardcore enthusiast by designing a product primarily for non US consumption , or completely wowed us with such fine technical engineering and design prowess that the brand image will be polished back to a fine luster.

Maybe a little of both has happened. I don't see too many sales of new units happening to forum members that actively post....me included. The DD66000's are way too expensive for me. I'll reserve my opinion on how they sound until I actually hear them though...maybe at CES Jan '07.

I'd like the opportunity to meet Mr. Timbers in person to get a feel for what his energies are like on the whole scenario. He seems like a genuinely nice, generous, talented, professional design engineer that had followed his passion with great success at an iconic American audio company that has been turned into a global brand of a multinational conglomerate. I imagine he feels a degree of frustration with what he's read here, and he's just returned from a whirlwind trip to the other side of the globe and is understandibly fatigued. Hard to keep the friendly face on 24/7 under those grueling conditions.

I bet he's had to endure some difficult financial management decisions with this project. The US market for anything, it seems anymore, is "I want it now and I want it cheap", therefore that's what we get...use it for a little while and throw it away. But look what happens in this forum. Recycling of the great vintage stuff that lasts and lasts as long as parts are available. When or if they dont' supply replacement parts for vintage, a huge revenue stream would go away...this is Harman's middle ground. Harman has been part of that culture-building, via the "bottom-line, shareholders-are-the-ones-that-matter-mentality" of Wallstreet. Meanwhile the middle ground...the high value oriented market is getting killed. Things are either really cheap, or really expensive.

All of Harman's market research probably points to the fact that well made, high value products like the late "L-Series" will probably never see the light of day again. The investment in inventory, marketing, dealers...the whole chain would probably be seen as too high of a risk for the bottom line to get a go-ahead from the accounting departments and selling this stuff on-line, unauditioned, unheard, and really...unseen... is out of the question. You can't survive on decades-past reputation alone.

Greg Timbers' mission on the Everest DD66000 project was to build the finest, cost is no object, statement speaker system that would be profitable... and introduce, unveil, and sell into their most lucrative market that is willing to pay huge sums of money. It looks like a bargain compared to those Avantegards.

If Greg had the authority to do it... and the market made it worthwhile to produce in large enough numbers to keep a value oriented price target...he would love for us to have it.

I hope Greg continues to post...he's a very respected and respectable guy, in a difficult corporate environment. I'd hate to see him alienated by a hostile forum that would second guess him. I'd like to see JBL Consumer treat the US market with respect too.

You think Gina Harman or Paul Bente would like to give us their view?

Ok...sorry for the long dissertation.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Something to consider....

If JBL/Harmon is willing to share details with us on their statement system we should be grateful and try and limit the negative thoughts.

We were granted some liberties by JBL/Harmon and hope it will continue.

It might not with too much negative attitudes.

Not trying to slight anyone, just don't want to lose this wonderful sharing that has been bestowed upon us!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

The void of affordability and Hi End audio has always been filled by the diy audio guru. Hi End sound does not mean Hi End prices but you do have to spend money and be prepared to work at it.

Japan and Asia in general is a massive diy area. There are numerous jp sites where members show off their horn systems.

Greg has offered to sell the new compression driver and I assume the 1500 AL woofers are available.

Thread Information