Thread: Ti 5000 Low frequency driver LE120H

Ti 5000 Low frequency driver LE120H

Hy guys.
    At first sorry for my bad English. Iām from Austria
    There is a question , and never in Austria know it.
    I have a JBL TI5000 and Iām very loved in this speaker. So in the 80ties I buy a JBL 4412 Studio Monitor, a very good Speaker to, but after about 15 Years I have a problem with the Low frequency trancduser. I don`t know the korrekt word in English, but the Sikken, on this Speaker was damaged.
    So my Question, is enyone in this Forum who has a TI 5000, and has the same Problem than I with the Low frequency dryver of my 4412?
    The dryver of my TI 5000 is at the momment good in condition. But my TI 5000 is now 13 Years Old, and I like to hear the speakers about the next 10 Years. All older Monitors from JBL have with about 15 Years this problem so i know.
    Has the TI 5000 this Problem to?
    The low frequency dryver in the TI 5000 means LE120H.It`s about the same Driver than in the L 90.
    Can anyone help me with my Question Please?

Peter

Please answer in simple words because I told over there my English is bad...

Thanks
    Deep clear loud transparent and accurat.

Welcome!

Sikken does not translate for me.

Do you mean the foam surround?

Foam surround's are available for most drivers for do it yourself.

Other members will give reference to someone local to you that can help if you are unable to perform the refoam yourself.

The 4412 has a 128H Low frequency driver.

e-bay user looneytunes2001 has the best kits for these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-Speaker-Foa...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers!

try Guido

Hi,
    the man you want lives in Germany. Goes the name of Guido and is a longstanding and trusted member of this forum. Send a PM.

good luck, Rich

Talking

sers!
    yo!

wenns dringende anliegen gibt kann ich gerne übersetzen (so gut es geht).
    if urgent i can translate as good as i can.

sicken(sikken?) = foam surrounds

bis dann,
    cheers,

mikey

ps:
    dictionary:
    http://dict.leo.org/

Thanks for your Answers

@demon
    Danke Tir fürs übersetzen.
    Are The Foams original from JBL avaliable For the TI 5000?
    Because I found nothing in the Internet about the TI 5000 and defect foams.

Mfg Peter

I searched in the Internet, and I can`t found a post or picture who tells me that the le 120h has that problem. From all other drivers of JBL(built in the 70ties up to the end of the 90ties) I find lot of posts with the problems about the surround foams of the Dryvers.
    So I think maybie the foams of the LE120H are better in consistanc.
    If there is anyone in this Forum who use a TI 5000 or a L90 with the same Dryver, he can told me about he knows about my Question....

And sorry again my english is horryble i know...

RIP 2009
    I can tell you that the LE120H does use foam, and not the "rubber" that many newer drivers use. It may be that there aren't many reports of deterioration because it's a newer driver, or that the foam may in fact be a different composition.

Since JBL does not sell replacement surrounds, replacing them would mean finding some that have been designed to fit/perform correctly, which may be hard for that driver, since it's used in so few systems... It may be that replacement surrounds for other JBL speakers are the same, but you're likely in experimental territory here...

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ti 5000 View Post
    I searched in the Internet, and I can`t found a post or picture who tells me that the le 120h has that problem. From all other drivers of JBL(built in the 70ties up to the end of the 90ties) I find lot of posts with the problems about the surround foams of the Dryvers.
    So I think maybie the foams of the LE120H are better in consistanc.
    If there is anyone in this Forum who use a TI 5000 or a L90 with the same Dryver, he can told me about he knows about my Question....

And sorry again my english is horryble i know...
    The LE120H is basically the same driver that's in the Century Gold. I've got a few of them for a project of my own.

The foam seems to be of a better UV resistant formula, but it will rot at some point.

I haven't seen any correct radius surrounds for it....it seems to be more like the LE14 style tight radius dimension...hence the "LE" designation. I have no inside info on this, just observation from having them on hand.

As john said....JBL doesn't supply surrounds...only recone kits.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

@Edgewound
    You told me the LE120H is basicly the same Dryver than in the Century Gold. My vather listen on a Century Gold, because I think the Dryver in the Century is only 30cm big and the TI Dryver is a 33cm Low freyuency transduser? What you mean I think is, that this both Dryvers has the same technologie? Because I read about the Centurc Dryver C1200 that is a special offer for the Century Gold Speakers. And I can say, the sound of the Century Gold is great.
    So when i read your posts I can say I have to recoon my LE120H. How is the normal Livetime of the surrounds on a Dryver then the LE120 H? My TI is now 13 Years old. And at the moment the condition of the surrounds is good, but Iām affraid about the problem that I can`t buy the recoon kit in the future of 5 Years.... What do you think is it avaliable in 5 Years to?

Thanks for your Informations.

Peter

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    The LE120H is basically the same driver that's in the Century Gold.
    Do you mean they use the same recone kit? The LE120H is completely differenct physically, with a "square" frame, ('looks like a smaller LE14H), and the basket casting, (spokes, etc.), is also completely different.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Do you mean they use the same recone kit? The LE120H is completely differenct physically, with a "square" frame, ('looks like a smaller LE14H), and the basket casting, (spokes, etc.), is also completely different.

John
    I guess I should clarify my answer.

The Century Gold woofer and LE120H share the same voice coil and motor(magnet assy), and I believe the cone is the same with the Century having black Aquaplas. I'm not sure of the spider. Yes, the frames are different with the Century woofer has venting at the base of the frame and is different with gold plating. The foam surround is the same.

As far as knowing how long this driver will last and if recone kits will be available from JBL in the future...My crystal ball is in the shop for a tune-up. They're not sure if OEM parts are still in production for it....might have to go with inferior imported aftermarket parts.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

paragon

Le 120H

Still working after more than 12 years !!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL L100 (New model)

JBL L100 has LE120H :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information