Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: AV Component Front-ends

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    8-ch direct (p34)

set the volume control and off you go.
    If you mean the Harman, right now it has a volume control error - after its been running a while it auto-raises the volume levels to full ... +9 or so ...
    Scared the hell out of us twice, before I pulled it out of the system and tossed it to the basement!
    Anyway wide freaking open is way too loud for my speakers!
    So, I put the yamaha back in for a bit, until the Integra DTC-9.8 arrived late Thursday.

So,
    if I could just cut past the digital junk in the HK AVR-7300, PHYSICALLY bypass the preamp stage and wire directly to the power amp stages
    ... THAT would be a nice thing!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Oh yeah... forgot about that.

Direct 8-ch mode is -supposed- to bypass the A/D/A process, but if the volume
    control is wonky that's no good... being stuck on max isn't that bad a thing, but
    if the built-in pre is adding gain to the input signal before amp, that's mode would
    probably be too hot to just use as a general purpose amp.

sigh.

I'm guessing you have more than enough skills to 'fix' this (essentially gut it except
    for the amps and wire the inputs directly to the amps), but like most of us, have
    better things to do. Project for a high school electronics wiz who'd love to 'recycle' it.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Integra DTC-9.8 arrived today.

Currently running with the Biamped mains on a pair of Adcom GFA-555s, and an Adcom GFA-2535 in 3 ch mode - sides (2x60w/ch) and center channel (1x120w/ch), and the HK Citation 22 for the B380 Sub (1x500w/ch) ... I'm hoping to get another Adcom 2 ch amp for the L100T3s - but I can run in 5.1 mode for a while at least.
    I did some shuffling around - nearly forgot I had a Yamaha M-50 amp laying around - so I swung RCA cables and speaker wires around and now have it running the Sides for the L100T3s ... and put the 60w/ch pair in the Adcom 2535 on the L20Ts in the rear of the room ...
    'Course I don't have many 7. sources, but it does work nice in 5.1 mode.

I did try the Audyssey auto setup, but for some reason it fails on the B380 sub and HK Citation 22.
    On a hunch, I tried flipping polarity on the Sub speaker leads but it failed again ...
    I'll fuss with it another day, but it does sound nice on the movies we've tried it with!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Been too busy working configs to actually post an updated picture. Still need to gt the HK AVR out of here - but just ignore it for now!

Got a second Adcom ACE-515 from eBay.
    Got an Adcom GFA-545 on the way, and rack mount ears from Adcom coming too.
    That'll go in the rack on my left speaker to run the high split, and I'll pull one of the GFA-555's down to replace the Yamaha M-50 for the L100T3s.
    frankly, there's nothing wrong with the Yamaha - but having all Adcoms of that early era will keep the tonality the same.

I have a short extension cord on the switched outlet of the Integra - and the "Sense" cables for the the two ACE switch units look at that. Power on the Integra and all the amps come in in timed progression (Except the Citation 22 for the Sub - manual is fine for that monster!). The units on the right "table" are an Adcom GFA-2535 in 3 ch mode for the center and rear speakers, and the (temp) Yamaha M-50 for the L100T(3)s ...

Seems to be working well, tho I do want to build a better space to spread out the amps ...

Oh - I did move the IKEA Bonde cabinet full of DVDs out of the room -
    that gave me some room to move the 4341s a bit rotate them out of the corners ...
    Even more room once the tall Teak audio rack from SCAN goes away -
    after I build the Altar of Audiophilia to spread all the amp and electronics swag upon ...

Hoping to get rid of the leather sofa on the left by the window that blocks that monitor - these things take time!

Name:  DTC_4446.jpg
Views: 7585
Size:  60.4 KB

Basic Image of amp switching functions using a pair of Adcom ACE-515 Power Conditioners.

The units also have controlled power up/Power down cycles when they see power "change state" through the sensing cables. because the "Sense cables" don't actually draw any current, they just see if power is on or off, I tried and discovered I could plug 2 of them into an extension cord plugged into the Switched Outlet on the back of the Integra Preamp/Processor.

That makes the whole system very user friendly for my spouse, Emma.

Using the Integra remote to power on the pre-pro and the ACE units hold the power amps off for 20 seconds while all the accessory gear powers up, so no annoying power amp THUMPS on start-up, or on power down.

I do not have the Citation 22 used as a Subwoofer amp connected to all of this - it gets powered on by hand and is only use for movies and such - not music or daytime TV/News shows.
    Name:  Integra-Adcom-ACE switching 040211.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  96.7 KB

Setting up spouse friendly is a problem I have too. I have used it to my advantage, she stays away from my stuff, lol.

She does have her own

What is protecting the Integra?

Mark

PS I am looking for 1 ace-515 for 1 of my setups
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

So, the Niles AC-3 is superfluous after all? Where did I get the idea that the Integra had no switched outlet?

Also, do the two ACE-515s draw the amp power from two separate circuits, or does all of this happily live on a single 15 amp circuit?

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    So, the Niles AC-3 is superfluous after all? Where did I get the idea that the Integra had no switched outlet?

Also, do the two ACE-515s draw the amp power from two separate circuits, or does all of this happily live on a single 15 amp circuit?

je
    I was originally convinced that the Integra had no switched outlet - but when it arrived I was surprised to see one.
    So I didn't need a 12v wallywart to run the Niles, and when I tried without it - everything just worked.

The Citation 22 is running on a separate breaker/circuit, the rest are on a common 20Amp line ...
    but, of course, its drawing less than when we had the HDTV CRT on that circuit (instead of the frugal Vizio)!

I was originally convinced that the Integra had no switched outlet - but when it arrived I was surprised to see one.
    So I didn't need a 12v wallywart to run the Niles, and when I tried without it - everything just worked.

The Citation 22 is running on a separate breaker/circuit, the rest are on a common 20Amp line ...
    but, of course, its drawing less than when we had the HDTV CRT on that circuit (instead of the frugal Vizio)!
    Hmmm...now we need to think up something clever to use the AC-3 for...

Glad it's all working out, can't wait to hear it some day.

je

I am feeling ignored
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Setting up spouse friendly is a problem I have too. I have used it to my advantage, she stays away from my stuff, lol.

She does have her own

What is protecting the Integra?

Mark

PS I am looking for 1 ace-515 for 1 of my setups
    I don't have a UPS on the Integra, if that's what you mean.
    maybe it should go into the Always-On outlet of the ACE-515 ...

but for the immediate future, the idea is to build a shelf like Steve
    and get stuff OUT of the fancy SCAN Teak rack, not put more INTO it ...

Once the Altar of Audiophilia™ is built, I can pull the Integra from the tall rack
    and have it on the top shelf under the TV, next to the ACE and do that, just not right now ...

I am feeling ignored
    Oh, I bid my way through a number of ACE-515s on ebay until I got one for about $75 ...
    they should go cheaper, but I wanted one now and not next month ...

But Emma loves the friendliness of the system now, especially with HDMI switching built right into the preamp!

Power up the TV, then power up the Integra and everything else comes on in 20 seconds with it!

But my work isn't done - I haven't hooked up the WII to the new system yet ...!

thank you I was concerned for the Integra

Mark

Oh, I bid my way through a number of ACE-515s on ebay until I got one for about $75 ...
    they should go cheaper, but I wanted one now and not next month ...

But Emma loves the friendliness of the system now, especially with HDMI switching built right into the preamp!

Power up the TV, then power up the Integra and everything else comes on in 20 seconds with it.
    I took your lead and picked up an ACE-515 tonight. I'd been watching them for a couple of weeks. My buddy with the local SR company has two of them in his Adcom home system, has had them for years and speaks highly of them. Going price on The Bay this weekend appears to be $51-56. Everyone must have been watching the finish of the Masters or something.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was going to swap-in the Crown PS amps for the two D-series in my bi-amp 4345 setup to gain their turn-on delay but I think I'll just use the Adcom power sequencer instead. The DC300A-II and the D150A-II with the Ashly XR1001 sound just super to me as they are.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

you must have outr bid me while I was traveling!!! congrats!

Mark

you must have out-bid me while I was traveling!!! congrats!
    I actually was aiming for the more expensive of the two. The original-owner's-manual description appealed to me and made be believe it must have been well-cared-for. And its shipping was cheaper!

I set my bid service at $75 and took my wife and a nice bottle of local wine over to my brother-in-law's front porch to share the evening with him and his new fiancé. We came home a couple of hours later to the pleasant $56 surprise.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information