Thread: L46 Crossover Help Needed.

L46 Crossover Help Needed.

Well, I'm fortunate enough to have "inherited" a nice pair of 46's. The woofer surrounds are shot but I'm good with replacing these. I cut my teeth on a set of L112's that turned out well. What I want to do while I'm in the cabs is replace the caps. First, let me apologize for not having the schematic as an attachement.
    Now I'm a much better "mechanic" than a "tech" so the function of x-over is a bit beyond my pay grade for sure. Anyway, my question is this -- what caps are the most important to the HF sound quality? Coming in on the pos. terminal the signal goes to a 7uF cap (C3 on the N46 Schematic) with a bypass and passes a 5.1 ohm R1, and on to the HF pos. tweeter connection. The other cap on the HF side is a 14uF unbypassed capthat is in line with the L3 inductor and bridges between the pos. and neg. HF paths to the tweeter........I know, very awkward expanation. My uneducated guess is that the 7uF cap is more critical to the sound quality but I'm really not sure. Any help is greatfully appreciated!!

Why not replace all caps as they are relatively inexpensive, and be done with it.
    Check out Solen.ca for an idea as to what is available.
    Also, a search of these forums ought to provide a fair amount of info relevant to your needs.
    Hope this helps.

I'll likely replace them all but I am trying in a very basic way to figure out what the L3 inductor and the the C5 14uF cap do in the curcuit. Is that "leg" in parallel with the tweeter and therefore a notch filter that funnels certain freq. to ground so they don't get to the tweeter??? Or, something else (in series). I can't be certain. Here's the N46 schematic www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...9&d=1163091639. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sorry about the link, it doesn't seem to open to the schematic although it's correct. The schematic is able to be googled though. Could anyone confirm that the "leg" in question is a notch filter? Makes sense but I'm out of my league here.

Quote Originally Posted by Desull View Post
    Sorry about the link, it doesn't seem to open to the schematic although it's correct. The schematic is able to be googled though. Could anyone confirm that the "leg" in question is a notch filter? Makes sense but I'm out of my league here.
    That would be my guess as well, perhaps someone can edjumacate us

Thread Information