Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp Recommendation For 2245H Subs

Amp Recommendation For 2245H Subs

Hello All,

I've been using a Crown Powerbase III amplifier to run my subs for years, but am looking to make a little change because of some new ancillary equipment. I've been very pleased with the PBIII, but it only accepts unbalanced inputs. I've always had a mild ground hum in my subs and I know it's from the long run of cable from my rack to the amp. I have a new preamp/crossover with balanced outputs for the main and sub channels. I'd like to get a new, but not too expensive, amplifier for the subs.

The current setup is 4 of the 2245H subs (2 for left channel, 2 for right channel) paralleled to 4 ohms per channel. My wish list for the new amp is:

Balanced XLR inputs
    High damping factor
    Decent power (>400 WPC at 4 Ohms)

I do not need any form of processing or crossover, etc. Just a good high-powered, high damping factor, stereo amp with balanced inputs. Something similar to the good old Crown K2 would be perfect!

Thanks!

There really are a lot of choices. I think the best bang for the dollar would be a used Crown Macro-Tech amp w/ bal input card or even the Micro-tech. If you got the Micro tech series, don't think the inputs aren't balanced. My 2 Crown MT1200 have TRS inputs and are very quiet in my rack. I have only used them in commercial use. I think they'd be ideal to keep cost down. I may test them in the house now that I have a Denon surround receiver with preamp outs. I have balanced input jacks mounted on drilled out blank rack channels to convert the inputs. I used to use the Crown PSAIIs exclusively. Those were work horses that never let me down. Just way too heavy now days. Maybe good here?
    There have been posts about fan noise as concerns on certain pro amps. I would house them accordingly.
    I now have QSC amps too but haven't really tested them yet. I've heard good things.

Thanks very much; I'll take a look at the specs on those. I did some searching on specs and found the Crown K1 and K2 have a DF of >3,000. My Powerbase III is >1,000. The Crown Studio Reference is >20,000! Holy Cow!

I also looked at some home amps. Adcom GFA-555 II is >800. The GFA-565 monoblocks (I have a few on the shelf) are >1,000. But, the Adcoms do not have balanced inputs.

Still open to more suggestions. :-) Or, maybe someone has a K2 for sale?

A bridged-mono Crown PS-400 is rated at 660-WPC at 8-ohms. Don't see a 4-ohm spec in bridged mode, for some reason. Doubt it would be unstable at 4-ohms. Their damping factor is >400. I mention them because you can buy a Crown adapter for them to run balanced inputs, they don't have a fan, and they're quite economical to purchase and incredibly sturdy. I used one in stereo for the LF section of the 4345s.

I also have a Studio Reference-II acquired from Subwoof in a trade for a pair of JBL subs quite some time ago that I've never even powered up. Happy to supply it for you to try before you spend the coin they bring these days. 555-WPC stereo into 4-ohms. Damping factor listed as >20,000, as you have noted. Takes a standard 120v plug but I feared for the wiring in my old house and never tried it. Figured I'd use it with the 250ti pair I've never listened to, either!

Not quite sure how critical the high damping factor really is given the huge disparity among different quality high-powered amps.

Maybe another DC-area listening party at your place? Bring your own amps?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks Phil! You're always welcome over. Heather and a couple others are coming on the 27th. If you want to stop by, PM me.

Thanks for the advice on amps. The PS-400s sound promising!n

Well, I did a little research late yesterday and learned something new (and a little embarrassing ). The PowerBase series can be run balanced with a 1/4" TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) plug! I didn't even think about the possibility until last night. I checked the old manual online and confirmed it. So, I ordered a couple Neutrik NP3X 3-Conductor 1/4-Inch Phone Plugs which should arrive tonight. I'll put those on the amp end of the cables replacing my unbalanced TS plugs and then XLR plugs on the preamp end. Should work just fine, and for a whopping $8.00!

Crown did make an adapter for that series too (MT-XLR)so one could change from phono input to XLR. The manual implies that it should only be installed by a dealer. Have you installed one?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    Crown did make an adapter for that series too (MT-XLR)so one could change from phono input to XLR. The manual implies that it should only be installed by a dealer. Have you installed one?
    No, the MOD-X or whatever they call the D and PS series adapter just plugs into the multi-pin jack at the back of those amps. I have several adapters I've acquired but haven't had a need for them over the past 20-years!

Thanks for the invite but we'll have all three daughters together in the new house, one who hasn't been here since before construction started and will now see the house I first promised her 31-years ago when she was two and we had just purchased the lot!

Happy Holidays to you all.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

just for a test, try ground lifting the amp if it's in a grounded outlet. That may cure the hum.

Oh and use a meter to test for any voltage between your neutral and ground on the outlets.
    Many houses have bad wiring. Sometimes a good earth ground can be lost as well. Sometimes it stems from a poor wiring job anywhere in the building!

Happy Holidays Phil; I'm sure it will be great having the whole family together in the new house!

Joe: I lifted the ground years ago and even have the amp plugged into a HumX to no avail. If I unplug the interconnects from the preamp, the hum stops. If I disconnect them from the power amp, the hum stops. So, I assume I'm picking up the hum along the way, which is only about 12 feet and near no power wires or other sources. Weird....

But, I'll definitely try the test with the meter. Maybe it will provide some insight. Thanks!

Been using a Yorkville ap4040 for a pair of 4645's very happy with it.

Thanks dezmond. I'll keep that in mind if my new connections don't work out.

Not to muddy the waters, but if hum is your problem and you want to keep using an unbalanced amp, you can use an isolation transformer. These stereo units from Jensen will not affect your signal in anyway, but will break the ground loop and you will have silence.

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/ci-2rr/

A lower cost option that will be fine for a subwoofer and probably good enough for any system that isn't using uber high end equipment is this solution from RDL. It is a single channel unit, so two are required for stereo.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nbalanced.html

Both of these solutions are professional broadcast grade pieces that will provide decades of trouble free service... and they do work!

Widget

Hi Svollmer,

Another less costly option to get rid of hum is the following from Rolls. Also more flexible connection wise. Regards,

Richard

Name:  IMG_0951.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  81.2 KBName:  IMG_0949.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  98.8 KB

W

Widget/RMC:

Thank you for the great suggestions; they're very helpful.

I received the Neutrik balanced phono plugs in the mail today (I already have the XLR plugs for the preamp side). I'll try to get them on this weekend and let everyone know if running balanced does the trick. If not, I've got some great options for not having to replace my amp.

Thanks very much much to everyone!

Thread Information