Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jbl diy m2

Looks like a solid build, very nicely done. Are you running phantom center or are you keeping the Dynaudio's for HT?

This is a speaker that should be built by JBL, add a passive XO to eliminate the need for DSP and reach a whole new clientele. I keep thinking JBL Pro will be coming out with something similar in the installation series (well, not the nice cabinet).

Quote Originally Posted by johanwholst View Post
    Congratulations on a great build!
    I have cutted most pieces for my d2 clone and will start glueing this week. Will do extensive bracing similar to yours and the original.

What kind of amplification and dsp do you use? Did you drop the passive network? I'll probably pass on the network as I am quite happy with a Diy Pass labs aleph for the D2. absolutely quiet on this tweeter, enough power for home use and to my ears pleasing sonics. Crown cts on the 2216

Another question: What dimension did you use on the baffle plate? 16mm seems to be right for the waveguide, but a little bit too deep for the 2216nd
    Thanks!

I use the standard solution with Crown I-Tech 4x3500HD and the JBL original passive network. I was a bit lazy for that part!

16 mm is probably the best for the baffle plate: the original is 15 mm, but this thickness creates a 2 - 3 mm gap with the bottom side of the waveguide. With 16 mm, you can reduce this gap a bit and for the woofer it's not much difference - and you can easily add a small chamfer that will give a nicer look. I personnaly used a 18 mm baffle plate and added 2 mm cork wedges behind both woofer and waveguide. For the waveguide, there is an additional rubber seaming in the original version (around 0.5 mm?); I guess you're aware of this.

Regards, Stéphane.

Quote Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
    Looks like a solid build, very nicely done. Are you running phantom center or are you keeping the Dynaudio's for HT?

This is a speaker that should be built by JBL, add a passive XO to eliminate the need for DSP and reach a whole new clientele. I keep thinking JBL Pro will be coming out with something similar in the installation series (well, not the nice cabinet).
    For the center, I keep using a 3rd Dynaudio (hidden behind the screen) but in the future I may replace it by a 3rd M2 clone (maybe only with the horn & waveguide + a simpler medium woofer - there are also 2 other 18" behind the screen, for LFE).

I have no idea about the next steps at JBL with these speakers, but I agree they could probably be the base for many other developments!

Classy!

Salut Steph!
    Very classy!
    tres joli interieur...
    As a former Belgian and having had a very famous architect in my family, I still love the Belgium style...
    Very nice!
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    Salut Steph!
    Very classy!
    tres joli interieur...
    As a former Belgian and having had a very famous architect in my family, I still love the Belgium style...
    Very nice!
    C
    Aha, merci très cher Challenger

RTBF bvd Reyers!

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Aha, merci très cher Challenger
    Avec plaisir!
    c'est mon Oncle qui a fait les batiments de la RTBF et tant d'autres choses.

http://pierrelamby.be

Bien a vous!
    Christophe

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    tres joli interieur...
    After Google translation I also agree, it looks very relaxing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I have no idea about the next steps at JBL with these speakers, but I agree they could probably be the base for many other developments!
    Maybe they released the necessary parts specifically for us here at LHF knowing the members here would produce beautiful looking home models only "borrow" some ideas .

Very nice

They do look a little naked without the JBL Pro emblem.

A very nice rendition of the M2 for sure!!

Congratulations on a fine job!
    Always fun learning more.......

sanpablo

thickness ?

Are the dimensions on the pic correct ?

Name:  question1.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  113.6 KB?

A+

I used 15mm for the outer baffle plate, and it came out perfect aligned with the lower waveguide lip

sanpablo
    Thank you Johanwholst
    And how long is this outer baffle plate ?

Question to Steph :
    During the building, we can see a "step" below, to the right & to the left.
    In the end, the step disappear.

You have cut off the surplus or you have "fais une rainure" around the 4 faces ? (my apologies, i don't know if its "slot" or "groove")

Name:  question2bx.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  21.7 KBName:  question2ax.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  17.7 KB

Yes, i know, i'm a little pain in the ass, but i'm trying to modelize this LS in 3D software. Not for me (i haven't money for the amps), but for the LH community.

Thank you in advance.

Here is how i did it

Name:  FB_IMG_1505336034431.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  39.4 KB

Dont remember the lenght, but as long as everything add up...

Thread Information