Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T.E.F. Time Energy Frequency

JBL 4645

T.E.F. Time Energy Frequency

I’ve been reading a white paper on HPS-4000 and came across T.E.F. Time Energy Frequency. Now this, one is definitely new to me.

I looked around and came across this. It looks like an early prototype for laptop.

http://www.mcsquared.com/tef.htm

Just to get you started, TEF is the invention of Richard C Heyser, TEF was brought out of Richard's lab and into the world by Don Davis of Altec and our friends at Crown Audio.

Richards brilliance was brought into the audio world in 1967? when a paper submitted by him on a new (his) audio measurement method was discovered in a trash can of the AES by none other than Harry F Olsen.

I use the latest incarnation of TEF and there are a couple of other guy's here that have TEF or have used it. Richards original setup now resides in the Acoustics Department of Columbia University Chicago. It fills three whole equipment racks! Mine fits in my hand and connects to a PC via USB, amazing.

One of the unique qualities of TEF is its incredible immunity to noise, it is capable of gathering good time and frequency data from a sound system even while that system is simultainiously playing music.

TEF may be new to you, but it is really the system that started it all.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Just to get you started, TEF is the invention of Richard C Heyser, TEF was brought out of Richard's lab and into the world by Don Davis of Altec and our friends at Crown Audio.

Richards brilliance was brought into the audio world in 1967? when a paper submitted by him on a new (his) audio measurement method was discovered in a trash can of the AES by none other than Harry F Olsen.

I use the latest incarnation of TEF and there are a couple of other guy's here that have TEF or have used it. Richards original setup now resides in the Acoustics Department of Columbia University Chicago. It fills three whole equipment racks! Mine fits in my hand and connects to a PC via USB, amazing.

One of the unique qualities of TEF is its incredible immunity to noise, it is capable of gathering good time and frequency data from a sound system even while that system is simultainiously playing music.

TEF may be new to you, but it is really the system that started it all.
    1audiohack

WOW! WOW! WOW! I liked one! Please tell me its something I can afford. A pc version, now that would be nice.

Does it show a stable easy to read signal something that doesn’t dance around on the screen too much, I find TrueRTA lousy to read the scale is dancing up and down when playing steady like pink noise when traffic noise (background has faded down).

I have to use the Technics SH-8055 as it shows stable signal that I can read a bit easier, only downside its ½ octave.

Anyway interesting story circulating around its bingeing, I’d like one.

JBL 4645

Wow I don’t believe it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TecronTEF-Time...#ht_640wt_1059

That doesn’t seem much. Do they take secured deposits? That looks like the old B drive floppy discs system. Who uses that anymore its just A drive floppy discs and even that is now rare on some pc.

I didn’t expect to see this, on ebay £416.46.

What's This unit is sold As-Is, but comes with our NO-DOA Guarantee! suppose to mean Dead On Arrival?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks like the original TEF 10

In 1979 Gerrald Stanley of Crown International led team of engineers and technical people which produced the first dedicated TDS instrument. The TEF 10 was exceptionally advanced for it's time boasting three Z80 microprocessors, math coprocessors, two 5 1/4" disc drives, video display, CP/M operating system and all the necessary filters, oscillators, pre-amplifiers and support systems. The system is housed in one "portable" (by 1979 standards, about 50 pounds) self contained unit.

Crown international received the exclusive rights to the TDS technology from JPL and became the sole licensee permitted to commercially produce a TDS analyzer.

The TEF 10 was released for sale to the public by the Techron Division of Crown International at a cost of about $15,000.00 USD.

I don't know what the value of a TEF 10 is today. I could find out if you are really interested in it. I would caution you one thing, TEF, like any powerful measurement tool will dutifully give you bad information if you ask it to by not knowing how to really use it. This platform requires much from an educated and knowledgable user. I'm not saying your not, but it requires
    much more than casual interest.

My next purchase in this field will be EASERA SYS-TUNE. It uses TDS (Dr Wolfgang Ahnert is an old Syn-Aud-Con / TEF guy) and by utilizing the processing power now availability of today's computers actual uses the music (even live) as the stimulus, how cool is that?!?

JBL 4645
    What you’re saying is the hands-on–experience with this particular device (which I most certainty don’t have) I doubt it even comes with a users manual guide.

JPL sounds like the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

$15grand, whew!

No need to look into the real cost.

Would you say a pc version is easier and how much do they go for?

JBL 4645
    I’ve been looking around on this, device and some nice written articles come up. There’s plenty more out there on this device. I can’t find one youtube video on it.

http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_years_ago_sound_6/

http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_years_ago_svc/

http://svconline.com/mag/avinstall_equalize_let_count/
    It gets more and more interesting as I read. IVIE IE-30A

There was video on the IVIE IE-30A, but not one single video on the TEF 10.

http://www.ivie.com/pdf/ie-30a.pdf

http://mixonline.com/ms/aes2007/crown-2007-anniversary/

Richard Heyser was a senior staff scientist at the Jet Propulsion Lab at Cal-Tecb, that was just his day job. Audio was his hobby.

If I was purchasing a TEF system, this would be it;

http://www.gold-line.com/tef/t-tefpre.htm

That is exactly what I have.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    That is exactly what I have.
    Well there’s just one thing on my mind, papa mike sent.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that, aside from the cost, 1audiohack travelled to Dallas for a seminar on how to implement this tool correctly...and he's a pretty sharp cookie.

I recall you having quite a bit of trouble just enabling a port on your computer to run the Behringer software. I think that using TEF correctly will be quite a bit more technically challenging than that was. 1audiohack can correct me on that if it's not entirely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that, aside from the cost, 1audiohack travelled to Dallas for a seminar on how to implement this tool correctly...
    That's true and I am still learning!

..and he's a pretty sharp cookie..

I would say thats highly debatable so don't rush to judgement until all the facts are in, and only my Mama gets to call me Cookie!

JBL 4645
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that, aside from the cost, 1audiohack travelled to Dallas for a seminar on how to implement this tool correctly...and he's a pretty sharp cookie.

I recall you having quite a bit of trouble just enabling a port on your computer to run the Behringer software. I think that using TEF correctly will be quite a bit more technically challenging than that was. 1audiohack can correct me on that if it's not entirely accurate.
    Well the lead works now that I’m using USB connection. It was down to flipping serial lead not mating with the device. I’d sooner forget about that now.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Well the lead works now that I’m using USB connection. It was down to flipping serial lead not mating with the device. I’d sooner forget about that now.
    Not exactly my point, but glad you got it working.

Thread Information