Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: WHY SO MUCH BS BANDWIDTH?

It was interesting to me that Kingjames's list of BS found it everywhere except Project May and DIY. That's why I posted the snippet about DIY.

There was a time when DIY was considered "noise," especially DIY as I practice it. Still is, by some. We had a long discussion about it on the forum, and I participated in the role of devil's advocate. There were several calls for that thread to be shut down as it progressed.

Point being that the site evolves to meet the needs and desires of the participants. DIY, I believe, is now seen as one of the most valuable and interesting forums here.

I've got my peeves, too, though I accept that I'm certainly no one to talk. Two that come to mind are "What's playing now," which was originally for "special" finds. I have no interest in knowing every disc that some member or members slip into their player, and the "specials" are now buried in the daily routine "playlist."

The second is similar, now that I think about it. Is there some value in diligently posting every flea market non-JBL acquisition here? I certainly get as excited by vintage JBL bargain finds as anybody else, but who gives a whit about the rest of it?

I guess if others do, I'm perfectly capable of ignoring these and others. As was already suggested, the noise ebbs and swells, and, ultimately, an appropriate balance prevails. I'd just like to see this site's balance skewed more to the serious than the frivolous in general content. There's plenty of other sites already specializing in blather and pap out there....

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I posted the thread on the meaningless Infinity speakers. The purpose of this thread was to show the high prices all speakers are bringing on Ebay. It was not posted for your approval nor do I seek it.

All I can say is that if it's so meaningless then why in the hell did you read it?

I think the problem here is that the world is changing and yet some member's here think they can live in the 19th century. Wake up and smell the coffee.

What makes this forum great is the diversity of it's people with their different opinions on what is important and what is not.

And about your statement about the Infinity thread being meaningless well let me borrow a line from the movie "Gone With The Wind" , "Frankly My Dear I don't Give A Damn!
    Touchy eh. Your not one of those folks that wants to stand up and defends the quality of his farts after someone complains about an awful smell?

The only reason I posted what I tried to delete was due to pms I was getting. I will state that I could give a crap about Infinity, Pioneers or any other speakers not originaly listed in the namesake unless comparing them head to head with JBLs. I could care less what thier going price is nor do a care what the cost of butt kickers onEbay. Tell me what a pair of L-300s cost or some 4350s and I'm glued to the screen. If the thread would have read....."Hey look here at want Infinitys are selling for on Ebay" then I probably would have avoided it. There are many other boards that do a great job of that like Audionirvana and others. That's my opinion. Please do not assume that I know you, judge you, are have an opinion one way or the other of you, are that your posting triggered my response. I have a right to my opinion and I have stated it. Now you have too. This is exactly what I was reffering to when I was talking about personalities, people taking things personaly and bickering.
    My God man your coming off as a Cubbies Fan?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    There was a time when DIY was considered "noise," especially DIY as I practice it. Still is, by some. We had a long discussion about it on the forum, and I participated in the role of devil's advocate. There were several calls for that thread to be shut down as it progressed.

Point being that the site evolves to meet the needs and desires of the participants. DIY, I believe, is now seen as one of the most valuable and interesting forums here.
    Interesting perhaps. I wouldn't call it "valuable". Too much speculation filling the void of missing information. Some of it is flat out embarrassing. I'm told there are other DIY forums out there that are significantly better. DIY didn't fit in my definition of the Lansing Heritage website per se although I've been heavily involved with DIY for over 30 years now; Especially with how it originally presented itself. I think the new header was correct and it ended up where it belonged. It was suggested it be split further into "DIY Done Right" and "DIY Done HTFWFLI" or "DIYDQAD" but the idea was nixed due to lack of interest. I had alot to say about it but I'm not inclined to post about it any longer. It's a dead issue for me.

I'd like to see the Lansing Product Forums moderated closely, and any off topic noise removed or, in the case of some nimrod starting a thread in the wrong place, moved to the correct forum.

I'd like to see the Lansing Related Forums moderated about as they are now, EXCEPT with all threads having a time-delayed fuse on them, and if someone doesn't request and receive an extension to keep a thread alive or make it a sticky, the whole thread should blow up and disappear.

The Forum Issues Forums can pretty much stay as they are, except the birthday greetings should also have a timer on them and disappear after a while.

As for the Off Topic Forums, they should be mine-swept every week and the whole damn thing obliterated. Let anyone post anything they want (under the forum rules) with the knowledge that in a week, it's gone.

I think the forums divisions are fine, but not every forum is equal in importance. As the site gets larger, take care to preserve the important stuff, and just keep flushing the toilet on the rest while still letting anyone who wants take a crap in the toilet.

Time sensitive deletion of non-core material is fair to everyone and it keeps the place in better order.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    It was suggested it be split further into "DIY Done Right" and "DIY Done HTFWFLI" or "DIYDQAD" but the idea was nixed due to lack of interest.

[I know where I'd be.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    My God man your coming off as a Cubbies Fan?
    Audiobeer for the record, I am a Cubbie Fan,all my life. Like I said in earlier posts I am always for the underdog.

I will give you one thing here that I did not word the posting of that thread correctly and I did not notice until you brought it to my intention.The wording I believe prompted you to open up this thread just to realize it was something you were not interested in.My bad, I will choose my words correctly next time.

I can not really fault you people who moan about BS Bandwidth because I have yet to understand what the problem is. I don't say this in a sarcastic way but, maybe I am missing something here.

Maybe now is the time to ask for a description of BS Bandwidth so that I may understand fully why it is so taboo here.

I can understand that this is LHF and if everything is only to be LHF related. I can live with that.

I assumed (bad word don't like to use it) that Non Audio Discussion for things not related to Lansing products was for those members who show interest in other things as well.

I don't want to rock the boat here as I enjoy the forum for many things and, maybe my preference in liking the Cubs will explain a lot more.

If this site is to be all Lansing related material in every thread then you must remove all the other threads to eliminate the BS Banwidth. I will still like to be a member if that happen's and then I will keep all my posts to the subject matter.

When you offer an off topic area you have to remember that you will invite off topic material.

Audiobeer, this is not directed at you or anyone else but rather just a general statement.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I assumed (bad word don't like to use it) that Non Audio Discussion for things not related to Lansing products was for those members who show interest in other things as well.
    Yeah, thats what it is for, and originally it was one small section called Off Topic, and was for our birthdays, humor threads, political talks, scandal and other current events.

I think this part of the forum gets alot more usage than was really anticipated at the time, and may not have been for Infinity, Ohm, Marantz, or, we just never envisioned this as being a forum for every other brand of audio gear. It was primarily Lansing oriented, which means Altec and JBL, and the forum definitely leans to the JBL end of things.

From my point of veiw, sometimes it does seem a bit cluttered with less than astute audio being touted. This, at one time, was really a serious audio forum. The posts on this forum were some of the best anywhere. Really good technical info ranging from electronic advice, speaker and driver choices, alignment, cabinet construction, cabinet tuning, even cabinet refinishing ( some of the best DIY cabinet restoration and refinishing in step by step posts with pics from someone in THIS thread ), really good audio talk, and good opinion offered up.

Nowadays, browsing the forum seems a bit like shopping at Costco.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Nowadays, browsing the forum seems a bit like shopping at Costco.

Those are the good days... I get annoyed when it feels more like Walmart.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Those are the good days... I get annoyed when it feels more like Walmart.

Widget
    You havent been to the Costco in my neck of the woods.

I cant say Walmart as I just about never go into one.

Were on the same page, though.

Widget on point, as usual.
    scottyj

I had never been to a Walmart until one moved into my hometown, where my parents still live... most of the old shops downtown have folded and you either drive 30 minutes to the next town or you shop there... I usually make the drive, but have ventured into that Walmart a couple of times... Costco feels like Bloomingdale's by comparison... what a lame store... no one is knowledgeable or available to help you, yet there are people out front to say hello???? What is that about?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post

I think this part of the forum gets alot more usage than was really anticipated at the time, and may not have been for Infinity, Ohm, Marantz, or, we just never envisioned this as being a forum for every other brand of audio gear. It was primarily Lansing oriented, which means Altec and JBL, and the forum definitely leans to the JBL end of things.
    I used Infinity's for 2 reasons

1. The crazy price paid for them and
    2. They are now a JBL product.

I quoted this whole paragraph because I personally find meaning in what you say.

If the good old days here were like the good old days in general then I can really see the disapointment.

Unfortunately we all know things change and sometimes it can be for the better but we all must accept the change and if the change is not welcomed then it must be explained why not.

If you noticed the original reply's to this thread were all labeled "Edited" now that might have been an accepted way amongst some members to reply that way but it done nothing to us members looking for an explanation.

We all here can not assume( I hate this word) here that people will understand abbreviated responses to something that is so touchy in the minds of some of the member's here.

A brief explanation is all that is necessary and I believe the tone of that explanation will determine what kind of a response you will get.

In my case I will do my part in toning down the BS Bandwidth as I fully understand it's meaning now.

I will try to keep my post's to the subject matter and maybe it will help to bring this place back to it's former glory and I think this would be good thing.

I hear you KJ, and your correct.

I was just speaking my point of veiw. Yes, the good ol days were in fact something like General.

However, the audio talk, the audio info and how to was really fantastic. Really that good, and was pretty much JBL and Altec, and as you probably already know, fans of both camps, Altec and JBL are pretty much set in their preference for their brands! And have plenty to say about it AND the talk of other brands too! By this, I mean go over to the Klipsch forum and start talkin JBl and see how they treat you.

Yeah, Infinity does sit within, and under the Harman umbrella.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I had never been to a Walmart until one moved into my hometown, where my parents still live... most of the old shops downtown have folded and you either drive 30 minutes to the next town or you shop there... I usually make the drive, but have ventured into that Walmart a couple of times... Costco feels like Bloomingdale's by comparison... what a lame store... no one is knowledgeable or available to help you, yet there are people out front to say hello???? What is that about?

Widget
    Oh? And what? You expect to go into a store and talk to knowledgable salespeople? Thats soooooo 20th century.

scottyj

Exclamation Sarcasm Ahead: Humor-Challenged Avoid This

Maybe there could be a special, secret area where only the veteran, smart people can go. Anyone who signed up after 2003 would automatically be locked out unless one of the gifted ones invited him or her in. Then that person would be on probation for three years, and if he or she stepped out of line or posted something the keepers didn't like, the novice would get kicked back out into the dog yard with the rest of us, where we could snarl and snap at the loser like the growling, barking dogs we are.

Most of this can be accomplished via PM right now, but it kind of defeats the main purpose of a forum, which is to get your thoughts, ideas, and information posted so people can see it. This way you can show how much smarter you are, how much more you know, and how much more experience you have. That's a win for everybody!

It sucks though when your brilliance is dimmed by the flying fur, barking, vomiting, urine, and excrement of dogs that are tracking all over your brilliance. Darn dogs! Leash 'em! Muzzle 'em! Put 'em in cages! Put 'em down!

Where's my gun? Oh, WOOF! Dogs don't have guns.

Ti-Dome you have such a way with words? I like it, I like it alot!

Thread Information