Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L65A crossover Help Needed.

this will be better

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by fotodan View Post
    Thanks Zilch... Should I check to see if the R1 is okay?? and if so, would I check for resistance?? I have switched 077 between speakers and 077 is working fine .
    Well, you lucked out on the 077 not being damaged. Yes, check the R1 resistance, and physically, for any damage. That one looks hardly smoked, but I don't have it in hand to tell for sure.

As I see it, you have four options on recapping the crossover:

1) Solen capacitors, no bypasses. A bright, crisp sound, perhaps overly so with 077.

2) Dayton capacitors with AudioCap Theta bypassers. Stock sound, but cleaner.

3) ClarityCap capacitors, no bypass. Reputedly smooth and mellow, I've not tried them myself.

4) Biased, using Solens. The best, but a major deal, from scratch, very likely.

I'd start by getting the existing crossover running. Just stick a Dayton in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Well, you lucked out on the 077 not being damaged. Yes, check the R1 resistance, and physically, for any damage. That one looks hardly smoked, but I don't have it in hand to tell for sure.

As I see it, you have four options on recapping the crossover:

1) Solen capacitors, no bypasses. A bright, crisp sound, perhaps overly so with 077.

2) Dayton capacitors with AudioCap Theta bypassers. Stock sound, but cleaner.

3) ClarityCap capacitors, no bypass. Reputedly smooth and mellow, I've not tried them myself.

4) Biased, using Solens. The best, but a major deal, from scratch, very likely.
    I like the idea of #2 stock sound but cleaner. Where would the AucioCap Theta bypassers be installed at (looking at the schematic)??

I like the idea of #2 stock sound but cleaner. Where would the AucioCap Theta bypassers be installed at (looking at the schematic)??
    Across each of the capacitors, i.e., in parallel. Use 0.01 uF, not cheap, alas, but worth it in the outcome. Consider them a little present to yourself, an indulgence you deserve for undertaking the task....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Across each of the capacitors, i.e., in parallel. Use 0.01 uF, not cheap, alas, but worth it in the outcome. Consider them a little present to yourself, an indulgence you deserve for undertaking the task....
    I will get them ordered Monday. Correct me if I am wrong, I will need 1 cap and 1 bypass cap for each speaker right??
    Thanks Zilch, you have been big help!!!! I love getting myself presents..

I will get them ordered Monday. Correct me if I am wrong, I will need 1 cap and 1 bypass cap for each speaker right??
    Yes, that's for the tweeter circuit only, but I would also add Thetas across each of the other two caps in the mid circuit while you're in there. That's three Thetas total for each speaker....

Thanks Zilch, I'll do. I wonder if I should also replace the other caps with equal Daytons?? Being I am in there anyway..

Thanks Zilch, I'll do. I wonder if I should also replace the other caps with equal Daytons?? Being I am in there anyway..
    Well, sure, if you like. The 4.0 is a stock value, and the 13.5 you'll make up from a 12.0 and another 1.5 in parallel for each....

Thanks Zilch and everyone else, got new caps and bypass caps installed today. Really made the L65's come to life....
    Now I can get to work on the 4435's.

Thread Information