Thread: L112

L112

Does anyone have any feedback on this speaker? I purchased a pair back in 1981 for another room as I already had my trusty L65a's. I never much cared for them as I felt the tweeter could not match the clarity of the 077. I switched out the woofers between the 112's and 65a's and could not discern any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hertzz View Post
    Does anyone have any feedback on this speaker? I purchased a pair back in 1981 for another room as I already had my trusty L65a's. I never much cared for them as I felt the tweeter could not match the clarity of the 077. I switched out the woofers between the 112's and 65a's and could not discern any difference.
    The 128H is a recommended replacement for the L65A's 122A so they should be similar, at least if you don't measure them. They both use versions of the LE5 mid-range. Some don't think the 077 is an ideal match for the L65 and some think the 044 in the L112 has a nice non-irritating quality to it. The L65 cabinet is only a bit larger than the L112's. You're in a pretty good position to tell us which one sounds better, but placement is a wild variable with these. When they were new, the L65A cost about 35% more than the L112, probably due to the cost of the 077, but both are fine speakers. The L112 is certainly among the best of the JBL bookshelf units.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

L112

Well I suppose the lack of response affirms my thoughts on the L112. I never much cared for the sound of this model. Just my ears.....

Well I suppose the lack of response affirms my thoughts on the L112. I never much cared for the sound of this model. Just my ears.....
    I suppose many here might kibitz with you had they not been beaten into submission over the whole Marketplace rules thing. The hobby-type traffic and replies from the non-engineers has definitely dropped off recently, much to the delight of some, and that's the kind of question you're asking. Now if you'd asked what a driver swap would do for you, you'd probably have half of New Zealand up giving you driver and box specs.

Over the past several years many here have suggested the L112 might have been the zenith of the vintage JBL 12" bookshelf speaker evolution. I've really never heard anyone but you say they didn't care for them and I've owned them for over 25-years. They were sold to me as the best at that time, and as lightyears beyond my 030s (they weren't). Regardless, the question and any response will always be considered simple idle chatter by many. Really, if you don't like them, what's the point of anyone trying to change your mind, anyway? :dont-know

The lack of response may say more about the pre-judment expressed in your first post in the thread than it does about the quality of the L112. Just send 'em to me!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Then sell them off and find something you like!

Life is too short to suffer sound you don't like!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

L112

Oh I am not suffering... I just keep the L112's around in case I need a spare woofer for my L65's.

L112

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I suppose many here might kibitz with you had they not been beaten into submission over the whole Marketplace rules thing. The hobby-type traffic and replies from the non-engineers has definitely dropped off recently, much to the delight of some, and that's the kind of question you're asking. Now if you'd asked what a driver swap would do for you, you'd probably have half of New Zealand up giving you driver and box specs.

Over the past several years many here have suggested the L112 might have been the zenith of the vintage JBL 12" bookshelf speaker evolution. I've really never heard anyone but you say they didn't care for them and I've owned them for over 25-years. They were sold to me as the best at that time, and as lightyears beyond my 030s (they weren't). Regardless, the question and any response will always be considered simple idle chatter by many. Really, if you don't like them, what's the point of anyone trying to change your mind, anyway? :dont-know

The lack of response may say more about the pre-judment expressed in your first post in the thread than it does about the quality of the L112. Just send 'em to me!
    Thanks for your comments. Everyone's ears are different and I welcome any and all opinions regardless of mine concerning the L112. I know that I prefer the 077 tweeter over the tweeter in the L112. Hope my comments here don't bore the engineers...

I liked the 076 tweeters in my L220's better than the 044 in my L150A's and L112's too, but I am not sure I liked the L220 system better than those two. Just on an intangible level, the 076 makes me feel good just holding one in my hand and looking at it (and the 077/2405 the same) where the 044 only generates mild appreciation - great tweeter but it doesn't have the same zing, for me anyway.

Anyway, although money was a part of the decision, the L220's have gone to a new home but the 112's and 150A's (and a pair of L96) are still in my house. I do like the sound of this series, a lot.

Haven't heard the 65A's though, at least not anytime recently. We probably sold them where I worked back in the late '70s/early '80s but I don't have any recollection of the sound of the L65A vs. some of the other JBL consumer models from that period.

John

Obsolete
    The lack of response may say more about the pre-judment expressed in your first post in the thread than it does about the quality of the L112.
    The first post is what we refer to as trolling. JADWAKAIA as they say. It doesn't really require any responses although I see that hjames summed it up completely.

Hertzz,

You might try posting that question on the AudioKarma website in the speaker section where there are bound to be more people with experience with one or both of the speakers.

Having said that, the difference between the two tweeters is a big differerence and the frequency response, dispersion, and build quality would have a lot to do with it.

Also, because the 077 is so much more efficient and is padded down for this application, it likely doesn't suffer from much compression compared to the 044 which is on par, sensitivity wise, to the other L112 components.

You could consider changing the tweeter to an 035 variant and see how it works? Not a JBL recommendation, but maybe worth trying out??
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

I avoided comment due to the troll type nature of the first post but suffice it to say, you'd have to pry my L112's out of my cold dead hands...

L112

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    I avoided comment due to the troll type nature of the first post but suffice it to say, you'd have to pry my L112's out of my cold dead hands...
    Well if expressing my opinion and welcoming those of others is trolling who knew..... let's have some fun here, we're not discussing Brain Surgery. To me it's about the enjoyment of the Music.

L112

The 128H is a recommended replacement for the L65A's 122A so they should be similar, at least if you don't measure them. They both use versions of the LE5 mid-range. Some don't think the 077 is an ideal match for the L65 and some think the 044 in the L112 has a nice non-irritating quality to it. The L65 cabinet is only a bit larger than the L112's. You're in a pretty good position to tell us which one sounds better, but placement is a wild variable with these. When they were new, the L65A cost about 35% more than the L112, probably due to the cost of the 077, but both are fine speakers. The L112 is certainly among the best of the JBL bookshelf units.
    Thanks for taking the time to post your interesting thoughts in reply to my post.

Thread Information