Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Surround/Satellites to go with Array 1400s?

What Surround/Satellites to go with Array 1400s?

I am planning a home theater using my Array 1400s, Array 880 and Array 1500s. I am thinking about doing Audyssey DSX High and Wide speakers, in addition to side and rear surrounds for a 9.2 or 11.2 configuration.

I know JBL recommends the S4ai in-wall surround speaker. What speakers do you think would best match the Array 1400s for high/wide satellites and side/rear surrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
    I am planning a home theater using my Array 1400s, Array 880 and Array 1500s. I am thinking about doing Audyssey DSX High and Wide speakers, in addition to side and rear surrounds for a 9.2 or 11.2 configuration.

I know JBL recommends the S4ai in-wall surround speaker. What speakers do you think would best match the Array 1400s for high/wide satellites and side/rear surrounds?
    I am also planning a home theater using the 1400s but an 800 for the center. I had picked up a bunch of JBL Control Now speakers for use as side and rear surrounds, mainly for the flexibility of placement (I am assuming EQ below 1 kHz). You can see measurements of the Control CRV, which is largely similar, at http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...1388&doctype=3. Good luck,

Young-Ho

My Synthesis® One Array system uses the S4Ai surrounds with its SAM1HF and SAM2LF fronts. It seems like a really great match, and I'd be cautious about using any traditional direct radiator speakers for the sides and surrounds. I'm sure speakers could be made to work well, but the spatial and timbrel strengths of the S4Ai are special in an Array Synthesis® system. Even the Synthesis® Four system now specs the S4Ai.

Now high and wide might be another matter. I actually bought an extra pair of S4Ai speakers in anticipation of additional channels, but I'm not so sure that they'll work as well in that situation. I'll need to learn more about the intent of these channels and whether pinpoint or diffuse sound cues are desired. The S4Ai can be configured to be simply direct into the room radiators, but it seems like overkill to not use 2/3 of the speaker's drivers.

You can always look at something from the old Performance Series stable, such as P520WS, P941, or P81.
    Out.

Thanks for the input. I'm also considering the Procella P6 for surrounds. But they are a little pricey, like the JBL S4Ai

Thanks for the input. I'm also considering the Procella P6 for surrounds. But they are a little pricey, like the JBL S4Ai
    Those look interesting... not sure what they cost, but these from JBL Pro and available from JBL Pro or a Synthesis dealer are quite affordable if you have the space.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...e=3&docid=1360

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Are you sure you want to go with the high and wide speakers? I have only heard one demo, but even though it was highly controlled and put on by Audyssey, it really failed to impress me. Even with Tom Holman grinning from ear to ear as he "showed us" what we were missing.

I left feeling like it might make the experience better for a few minutes of perhaps two movies ever made. Does it make sense to buy into something that limited?

Widget

I'm really only thinking in terms of pre-wiring for high/wide speakers. I have not heard a demo yet, and have not gotten good reports from those whose opinions I respect. In the immortal words of Harry Truman, "I'm from Missouri -- Show me."

But I am thinking in terms of "full-range" monopoles for the surrounds.

Then the array 800 are the deal ( full range monopole)
    A full array series is a killer system if not i would go with the s4ai

The problem with using the Array 800 as a surround is that it is unwieldy to wall-mount. Surrounds really should be a couple of feet above ear level, IMO.
    I will probably need to elevate the Array 1400s to get the horns up around the center of my screen.

The problem with using the Array 800 as a surround is that it is unwieldy to wall-mount. Surrounds really should be a couple of feet above ear level, IMO.
    I will probably need to elevate the Array 1400s to get the horns up around the center of my screen.
    not really, some nice stands will do the trick, and the maching would be perfect in dispersion and timbre.

surrounds optimaly should be at ear hight but practicaly an for the sake of more spectators and elevated seats you put them higher

Resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone has new thoughts on this. I'm currently using PT800 for surrounds in a 7.1 setup. 1400 and 880 in front.
    Even with pink noise, the PT800 has a very similar voice, and so far seems a pretty good mix. I was pondering 800s on stands for surrounds, but I'm thinking I don't need them. All the recommendations are basically 3-way 8" designs.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone has new thoughts on this. I'm currently using PT800 for surrounds in a 7.1 setup. 1400 and 880 in front.
    Even with pink noise, the PT800 has a very similar voice, and so far seems a pretty good mix. I was pondering 800s on stands for surrounds, but I'm thinking I don't need them. All the recommendations are basically 3-way 8" designs.
    We did a theater with 880s as the surrounds but it was really overkill. I've been told that JBL is making a new in-wall based on the 800 Array... that may be interesting. Realistically I think any competent speaker will do the job.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    We did a theater with 880s as the surrounds but it was really overkill. I've been told that JBL is making a new in-wall based on the 800 Array... that may be interesting. Realistically I think any competent speaker will do the job.

Widget
    I agree. I think positioning - especially proper height - and adequate dynamic capability are important, but the suggestion that the rears be tonally identical to the fronts is just marketing hype to sell more speakers from the same company. How often do voices come from the rears after all?

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I agree. I think positioning - especially proper height - and adequate dynamic capability are important, but the suggestion that the rears be tonally identical to the fronts is just marketing hype to sell more speakers from the same company...
    Agreed. In real theaters the boxes hanging on the side walls share no common components with the front mains. They are purpose built though.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I agree. I think positioning - especially proper height - and adequate dynamic capability are important, but the suggestion that the rears be tonally identical to the fronts is just marketing hype to sell more speakers from the same company. How often do voices come from the rears after all?
    Music is the thing. Dissimilar speaker voicing can make multichannel music sound just plain bad. You might not appreciate that if you don't listen to 5.1 music, or if you've never used all identical speakers.

I agree the 880 is overkill for surrounds. But it wouldn't be the first time that was done. (overkill I mean) But where on earth would you ever find 4 of them?

I'm sticking with the PT800 for now, its such a terrific speaker and it has the advantage of already being attached to the walls.

Thread Information