Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 digital x-over any good

Hi,

I am also considering buying this device to integrate a sub in my setup.

There is another website dedicated to this little device :
    http://www.dcx2496.fr/en/cadre_en.htm
    (I imagine the french version ot the site is more up to date tho)

they have worked with a french eletronic firm that implemented their modifications:

http://www.selectronic.fr/dcx2496_US.asp

on the french page you can also buy a fully modified DCX2496 for 975€:
    http://www.selectronic.fr/dcx2496_fr.asp
    http://www.selectronic.fr/article.as...r=70.3013-CMFR

The peavy also seems quite interesting!

Hello
    I will have one of the Peavey VSX26 units this week to test out for myself, My use would be for bi-amp stage monitors in my PA system. If it does everything and sounds as good as I have read in different reports I will be getting more, in all I would need 4 of them for all of my monitors mixes. As with most DSP units you can go to the manufactures website and download the software and kinda of get a feel for what they can do before you buy one.
    As for modifying and Behringer unit, let me say that I am a very DIY type of person from building all of my cabinets, doing repairs on equipment and modifying equipment. Sometimes though it does not make sense to take what is all ready a piece of equipment with lets say questionable performance and quality and throw more money of time into verses just getting a better piece of gear to begin with.
    Personally with the track record of Behringer in all aspects ,I will never use any of their equipment in any of my systems.
    To be honest trying a piece of Peavey equipment will be stretch for me, not because of their business practices or customer support but the Peavey brand in the eyes of many is just music store MI grade of products. When some clients want to see high end name brand equipment when you bring out in a system....well Peavey is not usually what they look for.
    I'll post what I think after giving it a little use and putting it through it's paces.

Mike Caldwell

I've been listening to this digital crossover in my studio for
    6 months. I've got an s/pdif output from my Yamaha digital mixer
    feeding a digital multiplexer(Henry Eng. "DIGIMATCH")
    ...which feeds an AES/EBU signal to
    the DCX2496.
    The digital output from the mixer is 24/48.
    The power amp is a Crown D-45A.
    The horns are Altec 511s and the drivers are 808-a with al diafs'.

I gotta tell you it sounds clean, very clean...digital stuff done
    right sounds colorless and this sounds pretty colorless.
    I won't consider any D/A mods until the whole system is up and
    running and even then I don't know, but right now this device,
    which cost me 250 bucks is an incredible tool for the hi-fi hobbyist.
    Thumbs up here!

For me in live sound production use as near 100% reliable as possible immediately followed by sound quality are key issues for any piece of equipment in the signal chain. A piece of equipment failing in any way and causing the disruption of any show or event makes the sound provider look bad and may result in the customer calling someone else the next time! The track record of Behringer just does not instill and lot of confidence in me.

Mike Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    I use a Klark Teknik DN9848 - 4 in, 8 out - which will enable 4-way stereo (but not 5). It is a really great unit - relatively easy to program. Each out has 6 PEQ's and time-delays, etc. Each of the 4 inputs has 12 PEQ's and time-delay, etc. Very powerful for ever-changing SR situations.

xta has a couple of great units - the DP224 and DP226 - but these are "only" 2-by-4 and 2-by-6 respectively.
    boputnam, are you aware of the price differences between a DN9848 and a DCX2496? To be honest, they are not comparable in my eyes (comparing a $ 4,842 piece to a $ 229 piece, not fair?). The XTA wasnt cheap either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Hello
    If you want to try a DSP that sounds very good, has real human tech support...if you need it, very versatile programing options, front panel or easy PC & MAC software programing and is VERY economically priced.
    The Peavey VSX26...yes I said Peavey! With some shopping around $350 or less. Way out performs what the price suggest. Mike Caldwell
    Mike, a good tip here but actually, the Behringer is higher on dynamics , but it could be an alternative to this Behringer. Especially if looking at the
    software programming though I work on Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrugeon View Post
    Hi,
    I am also considering buying this device to integrate a sub in my setup.
    The peavy also seems quite interesting!
    tdrugeon, yes - a really interesting sites (but not all of it was translated to english yet). Her you/I have all the modding parts that could be needed if I later on find out I had to do something to the Behringer (but not necessarily).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    I've been listening to this digital crossover in my studio for
    6 months. I've got an s/pdif output from my Yamaha digital mixer
    feeding a digital multiplexer(Henry Eng. "DIGIMATCH")
    ...which feeds an AES/EBU signal to
    the DCX2496.
    The digital output from the mixer is 24/48.
    The power amp is a Crown D-45A.
    The horns are Altec 511s and the drivers are 808-a with al diafs'.

I gotta tell you it sounds clean, very clean...digital stuff done
    right sounds colorless and this sounds pretty colorless.
    I won't consider any D/A mods until the whole system is up and
    running and even then I don't know, but right now this device,
    which cost me 250 bucks is an incredible tool for the hi-fi hobbyist.
    Thumbs up here!
    Steve, thanks for your comments. Guess you said the "thing" most of all official Audio/Hi-Fi magazines and international tests and evaluations has told us. You could buy this DSP/x-over on eBay for $ 229, Incredible.

One question not answered was if comparing the Behringer to an Ashly XR4001, whats your thoughts about this? Are the really comparable at all?

Regards
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    boputnam, are you aware of the price differences between a DN9848 and a DCX2496? To be honest, they are not comparable in my eyes (comparing a $ 4,842 piece to a $ 229 piece, not fair?).
    This is always a tough one... is a used VW '68 Beetle better than a new VW Jetta or at least as good because of the price difference? Even if the Behringer was free, I wouldn't listen to it... they sound bad.

One question not answered was if comparing the Behringer to an Ashly XR4001, whats your thoughts about this? Are the really comparable at all?
    From a features list point of view they are not really comparable, but I'd use the Ashly if it can do what you need.

Widget

Hello
    I just looked up the specs from the Behringer web site and the Peavey web site. As for dynamic range the input to output the Behringer list 109db and the Peavey list 105db. Peavey list the measurement on the A weighted scale, Behringer dose not say what scale the measurement was made at.
    I'll know in a few days what the Peavey is really all about.

Mike Caldwell

hey...

I'll be using this in a "fixed" installation.
    I agree with Mike that I would be hesistant in a live setting with this product. I know there were a bad batch of these things early on with the output jacks mounting to the pcb board and I know they fixed it...maybe last summer?

I haven't heard the Ashley mentioned.
    Just my opinion of course but for the price of this dcx2496
    it's a no brainer and sounds great.
    I've wasted more money on a night of tequila drinking than this thing costs.

hey...

I'll be using this in a "fixed" installation.
    I agree with Mike that I would be hesistant in a live setting with this product. I know there were a bad batch of these things early on with the output jacks mounting to the pcb board and I know they fixed it...maybe last summer?

I haven't heard the Ashley mentioned.
    Just my opinion of course but for the price of this dcx2496
    it's a no brainer and sounds great.
    I've wasted more money on a night of tequila drinking than this thing costs.
    Yes Im going to use it on a "fixed" installation too, so it wont be any dramatically problem if a failure occur. Thanks for the tip of the bad bach, must remember that.

Yes I have also done some tequila "knack" drinking nights , he he he And dont talk about the day after....... . Could easily be an expensive affair (phuuu...), then beer is much better though
    Flodstroem

BSS

I have seen a couple of different brands mentioned here, anyone have experience with the BSS stuff?
    I have a line on a PS-8810.
    Hoping to use it as a crossover.
    Thanks
    Harry

Hello
    BSS equipment is very good and well regarded in the pro use market. The PS-8810 is not really a true speaker processing DSP unit but more of a audio routing matrix processor for installations. It does have high and low pass filltering that could be used as band pass outputs with different filters assigned to different outputs to create a crossover. The only way to program it is with a PC.

Mike Caldwell

Thanks Mike

I perused the manual and it looked feasible to do this, perhaps it will be overkill, but the price was right, a bit lower than the Behringer at retail, I'll let you know how it works out.
    Harry

Hello
    It sounds like you got a very good deal!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Caldwell

..digital stuff done
    right sounds colorless ...
    A truism. You got that right.

The track record of Behringer just does not instill and lot of confidence in me.
    There's that, and sound quality for me is lacking.

boputnam, are you aware of the price differences between a DN9848 and a DCX2496? To be honest, they are not comparable in my eyes (comparing a $ 4,842 piece to a $ 229 piece, not fair?). The XTA wasnt cheap either.
    Yessir, I am COMPLETELY aware. I went through a "wow, this Behringer stuff is really affordable" phase. Now, someone else owns that gear of mine (thank-you eBay!!) Believing my ears cost me lots of money, but the results of moving up the food chain are quite frankly, stunning. I cannot "afford" to go back. Look at it this way, if you make the right purchase, the gear is with you for years - amortizing that cost over +5yrs makes it easier to rationalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ... Even if the Behringer was free, I wouldn't listen to it... they sound bad.

From a features list point of view they are not really comparable, but I'd use the Ashly if it can do what you need.
    Dammit, Widget!! You nailed it...

BSS equipment is very good and well regarded in the pro use market.
    Yes, it is. Their Minidrive" units are my 3rd favorite, after the KT and xta's. My biggest "issue" is with the way BSS has the PEQ's parsed amongst the I/O. There are only so many allowed, and if you use many on the O's there are not many left for the I's. The KT has 6 PEQ's on each O and 12 PEQ's on each I. That there is powerful...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I have the BSS 366t, its good, better than DBX, or Behringer, I have heard XTA, and KT. With DSP, cheaper products result in BAD sound.

I like the BSS for its front panel controls, and it allowed me to do some things I wanted to. I also didnt want to have to use a laptop every time i wanted to or needed to make an adjustment. Originally, I was going to get the Lake Contour, but, you can only program via a laptop and SiaSoft Smaartlive.

Digital signal processing has gotten much better than it was just a few short years ago. And you have to take time to really dial it in just right.

But, I am the oddball. I still prefer analog signal processing the most. I have heard many DSP controlled systems by this point in time, some are very good, alot I have heard are just bad and may have to do with who is using it rather than what it is. But, the one thing even the best digitally controlled systems havent done yet, for me, is to sound natural. I have heard dsp controlled systems that have excellent imaging, very focused, and VERY clean, but, still has a somewhat synthetic sound to my ears.

Of course, I have no doubt, they will yet again come out with digital gear that sounds better than what we have now.
    scottyj

Thread Information