Fortunate Son-----CCR

Cowboy Song----Thin Lizzy

EMI----Sex Pistols

Little Ramona-----Ramones

Mississippi Queen----Mountain

The Locomotion----Little Eva

Rock Around the Clock----Bill Haley and the Comets

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Is anyone going to mention a "rock" song.........
    All Rite Now (get it ) Allan

Put up your favs !

Inquiring minds want to know

Oldmics

I'll put in my usual vote for "You're Driving Me Crazy" by Dorothy Berry. Okay, strictly speaking it's R&B...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...=dorothy+berry

Just about any cut off The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East.
    But Whipping Post stands out for me.

Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter

The Pretenders

For the "storming right out of the box" category of Rock, "Day After Day." If I had a radio show, the first song I would ever play.

The deep and more musical category, "The English Roses."

Honorable mentions, "Talk of the Town" and "Message of Love."

All from my "can have only one Rock CD Desert Island pick", Pretenders II. If there is an afterlife and I am there, I want Chrissie Hynde and Jimmy Scott to get a band back together.

If it is fair to step towards The Blues, anything by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac or the Kirwin stuff from Kiln House and Future Games for me beats anything else (except some Santana, which sometimes equals it).

Is anyone going to stick up for the Joshua Tree / Achtung Baby U2 era? I could make a case for that.

Damn, "Regret" from New Order...

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

J.A.F.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    never heard of the place. ('sides we was diddly boppin' in anticipation)

SusieQ ? My son was slated to be Suzanne Quynh (ruby in tieng vn) , so he cud be SusieQ
    ( I liked those advanced lyrics) ...he fooled me and came out a guy., worked out for the best.

Just got back from Fuji Vinyl Safari with 3 hours on the pod...was playing one of the greatest full albums that I know of :
    10 years After : A Space in Time (bought some JBL P-20's besides 2 LP's)

Wow !! hard monkeys , once there was a time , I'd love to change the world , its loaded with super tunes.
    Hey G.I. *********
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    All Rite Now (get it ) Allan

Put up your favs !

Inquiring minds want to know

Oldmics
    I don't really play favourites but my favorite rock music comes from the late 70's and 80's and comes right through to the present time. I got more interested in music when the musicians actually learnt how to play or they figured out that they could play so they made it more evident. But as a professional guitarist/singer I lean more towards guitar oriented rock.....Peter Frampton, Kiss, Van Halen, Queen, Def Lepard, John Petrucci, Bon Jovi, Jo Satriani, Creed and so on. But no clear favourite song. But if push came to shove I would go with Van Halens "5150"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgTs7aHeAI

Allan.

I can't get away without Neil Young 1970's stuff. Tonight's the Night, Zuma, On The Beach, American Stars & Bars...

"Like a Hurricane," Cortez the Killer," "Albuquerque," "Ambulance Blues," "Danger Bird," "Stupid Girl," "Drive Back," "Tired Eyes," ...

And out of left field, "Sister Ray" by The Velvet Underground eats Van Halen (who I love) for breakfast. This take no prisoners ditty makes even speed metal sound flaccid and weak; I picture every heavy metal band playing Vegas with suits and ties after I listen to "Sister Ray." The White Light/White Heat album, Most of side 2. Because I heard this first I have never been able to listen to Metallica or anything like them.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post

And out of left field, "Sister Ray" by The Velvet Underground eats Van Halen (who I love) for breakfast. This take no prisoners ditty makes even speed metal sound flaccid and weak; I picture every heavy metal band playing Vegas with suits and ties after I listen to "Sister Ray."

Clark
    I just listened to it. I guess I must have missed something...........

Allan.

I just listened to it. I guess I must have missed something...........

Allan.
    Like you, I almost always prefer people who can really play really well. But most good rock players play boring, stupid shit. In the end it is about the feeling, not how many notes or how hard it is to play. It's about the music, not the playing. "The play is the thing..."

I love Jaco Pastorius but his "Donna Lee" is a triumph of playing ability and the most boring, pointless thing he ever did. His parts on "Refuge of the Roads" for Joni Mitchel have 1/30th as many notes and one hundred times the feeling and emotional impact.

As for "Sister Ray," when I was an Art student (at that time actually) the faculty and the students agreed on one thing. If everyone walking into your show likes it and says how nice it is, it is crap. If almost everyone is disgusted, or angry, or upset or disturbed, you are on to something. Anyone could give them what they already like. Raise the bar, create something better, and they will grow with it eventually if they stick around. I saw the Velvets live and believe it or not they could really play. And they played exactly what they wanted to hear, not what the audience came to drop acid to. They were artists, and damn good ones. They used instruments instead of paint brushes and had such a commanding presence that at least some of us knew we were in the same big room as something very special. I'll never forget it.

In a few words, "Sister Ray" bugs the hell out of straight people and leaves almost everyone else looking like a deer in the headlights. Most never catch up with it and that is OK. The band tried to help people get over with it, though. "I Heard Her Call My Name" serves as a nice warm up for it. And those who will never like "Sister Ray" or get it will have left the room before it starts.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Like you, I almost always prefer people who can really play really well. But most good rock players play boring, stupid shit. Clark
    Yup. Agree. But as Michael Angelo Batio said when I was talking with him last year, "if you are up there doing it who cares what anyone thinks".

I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones ... (GOTTA have some Ramones!)

More than a feelin' - Boston (cliche, I know, but its still a rush!)

And can't forget a bit of that Bo Diddley beat tho its hard to pick just one ...

Who Do You Love - Quicksilver
    Not Fade away - Buddy Holly, Grateful Dead,
    Mona - George Thoroughgood
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I don't really play favourites but my favorite rock music comes from the late 70's and 80's and comes right through to the present time. I got more interested in music when the musicians actually learnt how to play or they figured out that they could play so they made it more evident. But as a professional guitarist/singer I lean more towards guitar oriented rock.....Peter Frampton, Kiss, Van Halen, Queen, Def Lepard, John Petrucci, Bon Jovi, Jo Satriani, Creed and so on. But no clear favourite song. But if push came to shove I would go with Van Halens "5150"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgTs7aHeAI

Allan.
    Yep,know where your coming from.

As a hack guitar guy myself I put the Les Paul down for many years after hearing the guitar work of Steve Morse in the Dixie Dregs heyday.

Today its drop "D" tuning with cookie monster on vocals

Oldmics

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    (Don't know WHERE my posts keep going in this thread - they've disappeared yet I've been on topic the whole time)

On the Rock Rockabilly connection ...
    Who Do You Love - Quicksilver
    Mona - George Thoroughgood
    Posts still there AFAICS....

really started getting into Mr. Rockabilly - Carl Perkins

Mona ? just yesterday I sat transfixed by QMS Mona ... thats a real earbuds/phones tune....runs 17/18 minutes

Of course Santana - Abraxas ...the. SWCB/BMW/GQ combo ...everyone regards it as "Black Magic Woman" , but it is actually 3 tunes strung together (Singing winds/Crying Beasts - Black Magic Woman - Gypsy Queen) .... the original of GQ by Gabor Szabo is some virtuoso playing too.

there are 3 Carlos wham wham whams in the last 90 seconds of GQ that always give me goosebumps .just b4 the great FB ending.....(original ver only).

Quote Originally Posted by loach71 View Post
    Hey G.I. *********
    it was "Hey Sailor" and the pimps would ask "Score ??" ,
    I always answered "its 2 to nothing...third inning" ....they prolly thot I was wacko.

(tho gotta admit I looked like a G.I. in them funny green clothes with a Black beret)
    Oh...that brings up a funny story ...for another day , (after a couple ba muoi ba's)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Posts still there AFAICS....

really started getting into Mr. Rockabilly - Carl Perkins
    Check out the DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Carl-Perkins-F...6960765&sr=8-1

You'll be glad you did. Netflix has it too.

Thread Information