Thread: 4355

I the opportunity of getting hold of some mint 4355s but found them a little harsh over extended listening times. What’s the general opinion of these speakers? I understand were constructed regardless of cost to the highest standards possible at the time.
    My guess is they require setting up correctly of course in a domestic setting its not usual to get out test equipment but might be worth investing into someone knowledgeable to make sure they are time aligned and running correctly.
    ANY comments would be welcome
    Thanks
    Dave

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    i think you are correct, set up is crucial...

upstream electronics may also need to be upgraded,
    depending on user performance preferences...

measurement gear could certainly assist in the proper set-up,
    it is likely that some acoustical treatment may be beneficial also....

good luck, if you decide to take the plunge.

Yes, these babies are definitely not plug and play (even though they do).

Since you are considering them, you obviously have the necessary space.

You will definitely want to try out different electronic equipment with them, as the rewards when you find your ideal equipment will be breathtaking.

Measuring equipment might help you, but, again, the electronics used with them will be the determining factor. With measuring equipment you get close very quick, and then you might want to make final tweeking by ear.

Be brave, go for it!
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by David Ketley View Post
    My guess is they require setting up correctly of course in a domestic setting its not usual to get out test equipment but might be worth investing into someone knowledgeable to make sure they are time aligned and running correctly.
    I wouldn't expect anyone to achieve time alignment with these, unless you are willing to run 4-way active electronics. Probably too much hassle for what you get.

HI, I'M FAIRLY NEW AT THIS JBL LANSING COMMUNITY, BUT I LEARNED REAL FAST WHAT'S UP. MY ADVISE IS TO SNATCH THEM FASTER THAN YOU CAN BLINK. NO ONE IN THIS COMMUNITY DOESN'T WANT MINT 4355'S. SIMPLY THE BEST! MINT CONDITION! GIVE ME THE LEAD.....I'LL TAKE THEM. IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME WHEN EVERYONE WILL START TO EMAIL YOU ABOUT THE LOCATION AND PRICE. VERY SIMPLE SET UP. YOU NEED A 2-WAY CROSSOVER TO CROSS AT 250HZ. YOU NEED A 100-150 WATT AMP FOR THE HIGH'S AND A 200-250 WATT AMP FOR THE LOW'S. RAISE THEM OFF THE FLOOR ABOUT 1 FOOT AND KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THE WALL ABOUT 2 FEET. YOU ARE NOW IN HEAVEN! LET ME KNOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE THEM. I WILL AS I'M NOW READY AND WILLING. A FREIND, TED

I think I get the picture mint 4355 are very rare beasts particularly here in the UK.
    My friend has still not made up his mind but I think I can do a deal in the near future even if only on permanent loan.
    Kicking around other options but it is difficult to get the right sound with modern speakers unless paying massive prices. I can get used B & W 800s for about the same price I hope thats not the equivalent to swearing on this forum?
    Any suggestions welcome
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Ketley View Post
    I think I get the picture mint 4355 are very rare beasts particularly here in the UK.
    My friend has still not made up his mind but I think I can do a deal in the near future even if only on permanent loan.
    Kicking around other options but it is difficult to get the right sound with modern speakers unless paying massive prices. I can get used B & W 800s for about the same price I hope thats not the equivalent to swearing on this forum?
    Any suggestions welcome
    Dave
    I guess it depends on your listening room... size and domesticity, as well as your listening habits and taste in music.

If your speakers will be in a dedicated listening room where aesthetics don't matter, the room is fairly large, you like your music loud and you play a lot of classic rock... 4355s without a doubt. If any of these conditions are not your situation, you might want to consider the B&Ws.

Widget

Bose , now thats profanity !

David ,

for the same money take the B & W .... upgrade the 30 year old speaker called 4355 and not only have you got one heck of an investment , a true icon , but also a speaker , that perhaps wont hit the same spot as the B & W's, but the spot they do hit will be a very pleasant experience indeed . I'm talking about cc networks tweaked for Be dia by someone that knows what they are doing . There are a couple of guy's here that are proven at bringing these older large 43xx series monitor designs into the 21st century with aplomb . I fancy also that the B&W will not hold their value the way the 4355's will. Even in the US the 4355 is rare - how rare are B&W's here in the UK ? ..... about as rare as an Only Fools and Horses Cristmas special ....

More factor 30 mate ! and another thingy with an brolly in it .

Rich

What Rich said^^^

Thread Information