Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Popping HF sound!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Uh, yes there is. You have a ground loop somewhere "upstream" from your amplifiers. So, you need to find the offending piece of gear.

First - is everything plugged into the same AC circuit? You need to get all the stereo / TV gear into it's own, dedicated circuit. I don't know if that's possible (or safe...) with all your gear but do make sure no refrigerators, toasters or dimmer switches are on that circuit.

Once done, if you really want to tackle this "hum", you need to start at the end (the speakers) with everything disconnected, and work backwards, slowly connecting one thing in at a time.
    bop

Now that has given me a “Brainstorm” and I think I may have found an answer, now.

The main’s that supplies the sockets feed that comes off a different circuit breaker that does hallway kitchen bedroom and living room are all on the same line.

Now the mains that powers the heaters in the kitchen and bathroom was disconnected or least I didn’t want those fans installed because I don’t see the need in running kilowatts to heat the kitchen and bathroom up, just waste of electric!

Okay, all I need to do is buy a few smaller meters of (cable trunking mains cable) screw it up to the corner of the kitchen and run along the corner of the ceiling over to where the refrigerator is. Attach a new (mains plug socket) to the wall, plug in the refrigerator and hope it doesn’t send the spark like noise onto the mains plug supply, that end up coming out the left front channel.

Plan A
    4 meters of mains cable
    4 meters of cable trunking
    x1 mains power socket

This should cost no more than £15.00 pounds.

Note: the mains power circuit breakers. Top right hand-side is, the mains/breaker for the fan heater kitchen and bathroom only. Only its not being used to power the heaters its been idle for nearly 3 years now.

Note: top power mains socket in the kitcken now that is where I’ll get the mains off this to, supply the refrigerator.

Note: the refrigerator as if no one as seen one before, LOL note the mains socket, now this is on the same line that does all the mains power sockets around the flat.

The socket beside it powers the washing machine which is on the same circuit line, so no sense in getting the power off that for the refrigerator is, there now.

Note: the mains circuit breaker on the lower right hand side. Now that supplies the night storage heaters hallway bedroom and living room, so I’m not messing with that!

Note: the mains circuit breaker centre or at the top. Now that supplies the mains sockets living room hallway kitchen (cooker washing machine) and bedroom. Also the smoke alarm and lighting in, hallway kitchen bathroom bedroom and living room.

Plan B
    I could cut the cost even lower by, buying an extension power mains lead. Take the plug off and place a connector to the mains (live neutral and Earth) run the cable around to the refrigerator and bingo.

But I might as well make it neat so I’m going with plan A.

Its only just been eluding me for over a year now.

I had the same issue when I had the home cinema system in the bedroom with the same popping sound.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Isolate the fridge now

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    bop

Now that has given me a “Brainstorm” and I think I may have found an answer, now... via planA..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think you are saying you may be able to salvage at least one circuit breaker to dedicate to an isolated trunk direct to the fridge outlet socket to provide the 240 volt power wires plus a dedicated ground wire direct from the grounding strap in the power entrance panel box, to the fridge wall outlet. This is perfect. You will be confining the fridge pop source. This is indeed very professional.

This will allow you to investigate the hum problems one step at a time as suggested by our mr Boputnam in post #29.

best of luck herki the cat

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post
    Now that has given me a “Brainstorm” and I think I may have found an answer, now... via plan A..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think you are saying you may be able to salvage at least one circuit breaker to dedicate to an isolated trunk direct to the fridge outlet socket to provide the 240 volt power wires plus a dedicated ground wire direct from the grounding strap in the power entrance panel box, to the fridge wall outlet. This is perfect. You will be confining the fridge pop source. This is indeed very professional.

This will allow you to investigate the hum problems one step at a time as suggested by our mr Boputnam in post #29.

best of luck herki the cat
    I'll let you know if, it works or not on Wednesday.

JBL 4645
    I got the parts that I need. I’ll knock this up later on in the day.

Well under the £15.00 mark at £11.30.

JBL 4645
    I’ve taking a break for a short while.

So far I’ve got this much done and all I need to do is run the next piece of cable trunking along towards the refrigerator, then attach the mains power socket.

And finally test it to see if, it does in fact isolate the refrigerator from inducing a noise into the mains that supplies the power sockets around the flat

JBL 4645
    The Refrigerator Project.

JBL 4645
    Okay I just finished ”The Refrigerator Project.”

I used some “Hard As Nails” pumped into the wall, so the wall-plug can get an extra tight grip, on the screw fixings.

I’ve cleaned up the mess, before Sooty starts stiffing around in curiosity at it.

I’ve heard the Refrigerator (turn off) and so far no “popping sound” I’ll wait till it switches back on so a short while of silence to listen out for it!

JBL 4645
    Well I was just placing the switch plate over the original kitchen heater socket and I, heard the Refrigerator switch ON (while listening for the popping sound) no hint of it. Looks like I got the bugger sorted and all for just £11.30.

listening for the popping sound

Well I was just placing the switch plate over the original kitchen heater socket and I, heard the Refrigerator switch ON (while listening for the popping sound) no hint of it. Looks like I got the bugger sorted and all for just £11.30.
    Awesome! You know what, If you have a spare circuit breaker in your AC Power entrance panel, try running the same identical dedicated AC power star configuration __ ( just like the fridge AC Star feeder line) __ with isolated dedicated safety ground wire to your power amplifier wall AC outlets.

You will see the same order of improvement in the audio system__ provided there are "no forbidden by-pass filter capacitors" bridged from the hot 240 Volt lines to the amplifier metal cabinets which cause AC hum ground loops". Connect the power amplifier metal cabinets or metal chassis to the star safety ground wire

When you clean up the power amplifiers entity, then proceed to the preamp & CD player etc group with the same star AC power configuration.

herki

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post
    Awesome! You know what, If you have a spare circuit breaker in your AC Power entrance panel, try running the same identical dedicated AC power star configuration __ ( just like the fridge AC Star feeder line) __ with isolated dedicated safety ground wire to your power amplifier wall AC outlets.

You will see the same order of improvement in the audio system__ provided there are "no forbidden by-pass filter capacitors" bridged from the hot 240 Volt lines to the amplifier metal cabinets which cause AC hum ground loops". Connect the power amplifier metal cabinets or metal chassis to the star safety ground wire

When you clean up the power amplifiers entity, then proceed to the preamp & CD player etc group with the same star AC power configuration.

herki
    I’ll look into that with careful steps.

Cheers

What I’ve done is no big deal it’s only eluded me, for only a year and bit. sigh

What I’ve done is no big deal it’s only eluded me, for only a year and bit. sigh
    Way to go, herki and Ashley!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Way to go, herki and Ashley!
    bop cheers
    Yeah I’m still enjoying (popping clear free interference).

You know that is the type of thing that can do damage to HF.

Nice going. Has to be a relief after all that time.

Why do I have visions of a Mr. Tuttle (or was it Buttle) working
    on your central air?

(popping clear, free of interference

bop.... cheers
    [quote=JBL 4645;285892]
    Yeah I’m still enjoying (no popping clearly free of interference).[/quote]

Hello JBL 4645; I have seen your posts regarding "Avatar" exhibited in the UK & the prevailing venue situations there .... "Avatar" was produced here at the Awesome Sky walker Lucas Ranch facility described in this Link:

http://www.skysound.com/

Everyone on the west coast who saw this wonderful production in the SkywWalker Lucas Theater has remarked about the superb audio quality in "Avatar," This is all about Professional Commercial Quality Business Equipment, so relax & enjoy; At home we be content with the "Everest Speaker System" & our priceless vintage gems.
    Mr. Bruce Brisson, CEO of "MIT..Music Interface Technologies Inc., owns 100 percent of the world's important patents on speaker cables & interconnects which have been used extensively in the SkyWalker studio production of Avatar as well as the SkyWalker Lucas Theater exhibiting "Avatar" ..... This next link:

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/

Opens with a picture of the Massive JBL Five-Channel Speaker system in the Skywalker Lucas theater which is equipped 100 percent with "MIT Inc., Speaker Cables, Interconnects & several Awesome MIT "Z Bar" Power Conditioners" which Shunt the AC Power feeds with a Broad Band Passive Resistance of "five ohms " over the complete Spectrum just above 60 Hz all the way out to 20,000 Hz which is extremely efficient dealing with power line noise... without a doubt, the best the industry has to offer. I have three of these "Z Center" MIT Power conditioners, I love them.

You must see how they did it in this extensive Link, which describes the close technology relations between SkyWalker Management & Engineers working with "MIT Technologies CEO, Mr. Bruce Brisson, in this wonderful story of:

MITat theMOVIES @http://www.mitcables.co.nz/pdf/mit_movies.pdf

cheers herki

JBL 4645
    That’s a fascinating story from / Electro-Voice to Klipsch to JBL. I take it he had something to do with the 2360-A compression driver/horn system.

I first saw this picture 21 years ago in Boxoffice magazine. I guess that picture really put the hook me, to go to London and listen to real top dog JBL professional sound system at the Empire.

Now listen up! I'm only going to say this once!

Thread Information