Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket JBL 035Ti

Aftermarket JBL 035Ti

I came across a pair of 4408 that are in desperate need of attention. They are in rough shape but I`ve worked with far worse, the 116H-2`s are ok but need new foam, both tweeters are open
    There aren't too many original 035`s around at a decent price and there is no guarantee that they are in good working condition, my definition of such differs from most sellers.
    I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the aftermarket tweeters available from some vendors such as this:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/153211461801?ul_noapp=true

By "open" do mean electrically as in DCR measurement, or do mean open as in the mounting holes for them are empty, like you didn't get any tweeters with the speakers?

Could be very fixable. Lots of info about these, specifically, here and elsewhere.

BTW, your old Crown SL2 is headed back to Indiana for some needed service, one channel quieter than the other. AETechron says they are happy to handle the diagnosis and repair.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Not sure why you would consider a copy 035Ti for $70, when authentic
    ones are generally in the 50 +- range ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Just remember the very thin wire from the terminal to the diaphragm is fragile and if you so much as move the terminal by wiggling the wiring to undo it you will usually break the connection. Fairly easily repaired with a thin wire and some basic soldering skills. If I can do it, you can do it! My problem came from attempting to straighten the "crooked" terminals. Don't!! Leave them where they are. There's not enough give in the wires to move them at all.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...his-is-helpful
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Not sure why you would consider a copy 035Ti for $70, when authentic
    ones are generally in the 50 +- range ?
    Not in my neck of the woods unfortunately.
    I`m at the mercy of Ebay for stuff like that and it`s been my experience that most sellers are not very knowledgeable. There is a big difference between working and working right.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    By "open" do mean electrically as in DCR measurement, or do mean open as in the mounting holes for them are empty, like you didn't get any tweeters with the speakers?

Could be very fixable. Lots of info about these, specifically, here and elsewhere.

BTW, your old Crown SL2 is headed back to Indiana for some needed service, one channel quieter than the other. AETechron says they are happy to handle the diagnosis and repair.
    I meant open circuit. I think I just might open them up and see if it`s something obvious.
    Wow, you still have that preamp?! What about the amp and tuner?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    I meant open circuit. I think I just might open them up and see if it`s something obvious.
    Wow, you still have that preamp?! What about the amp and tuner?
    Since you asked: I part with very little, if I like it.

I have two complete systems of what you call a Crown "Receiver". One with your SL2 and one with the later PSL-2 which is the pre-amp for my Library/TV room. Currently paired with a JBL/Urei 6260 and a pair of L5s, though I've used it with several other amps including over a dozen Crown D and PS series. It's a nice preamp but the main system still uses a Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four. Your old system was last used in my basement workshop, until one day it was weak in the right channel. Now another Pro-Contro-Four is there, instead. But the Crown will return!

Not in my neck of the woods unfortunately.
    I`m at the mercy of Ebay for stuff like that .....
    It's ez , just look for a pair of L-60t's with rotted LF's .... nobody fixes those and they go cheap ....

would NOT even consider Ch1nese knockoff copies.

your link:

Brand: SS Audio
    Compatible Model: 035Tia Type: Tweeter
    MPN: T-035Tia Compatible Brand: For JBL
    Country/Region of Manufacture: China UPC: Does not apply
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    It's ez , just look for a pair of L-60t's with rotted LF's .... nobody fixes those and they go cheap ....

would NOT even consider Ch1nese knockoff copies.

your link:

Brand: SS Audio
    Compatible Model: 035Tia Type: Tweeter
    MPN: T-035Tia Compatible Brand: For JBL
    Country/Region of Manufacture: China UPC: Does not apply
    I`ve been actively searching for just that sort of thing for years now. You would be (unpleasantly) surprised at what is available in these parts and the ludicrous asking prices.
    I`m considering these knock off`s because chances are if real 035`s ever did pop up, their condition would most likely be questionable.
    I`ve had my fair share of bad experiences with Chinese copies of tweeter and compression driver diaphragms hence my inquiry. I`m surprised no one here ever made the gamble just for the sake of curiosity.

Hi Mike , If you decide to take apart your 035's be really careful, and I mean REALLY CAREFUL!! I've wrecked a couple of 035's using just a little too much force.

Regarding Simply Speakers, they seem to be a reputable outfit but the Chi-Coms are not reputable. They reverse engineer just about everything we make from computers to airplanes. Even JBL drivers with almost exact labeling to fool the unwary.

I had a friend who was in the lumber business who told me that the Chi-Coms would change their agreements just when the ship carrying the logs would enter port, and would not unload the logs unless he agreed to the new terms. So what is he going to to with a ship that just sailed 8000 miles with hundreds of thousands of dollars in logs on it that can't be unloaded unless he agreed to new terms.
    He quickly learned that the Chi-Coms can't be trusted, and to business elsewhere.

So even if it was and exact copy, which it probably isn't, I wouldn't buy it. I won't buy anything made in China if I can avoid it.

Well there it is.

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

I`m considering these knock off`s because chances are if real 035`s ever did pop up, their condition would most likely be questionable.
    I own something around ten pairs of 035 version tweeters, all still in their original speakers and working perfectly. The only one I ever had to repair was from a pair of L80Ts I was refurbishing and decided the terminal on the 035 could use some straightening. Bad mistake! Leave them alone, take extreme care when removing the wiring, and they will be fine.

Check the specs of the 035ti and get an Audax or SEAS to match. No problemo.

This is a tough call to make. The way I figure it whether I go the used or Chinese route for the tweeters plus the foam kit, I`ll be into it for over $300 in parts alone plus a considerable amount of work to be put in. All of that for speakers that are worth how much?...

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Check the specs of the 035ti and get an Audax or SEAS to match. No problemo.
    I second that. I would use a pair of these from Audax... I bet they will even be an upgrade, though you'll need to create your own HF network.

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/audax-tw025a0/

Widget

+3 There are plenty of good/better sounding options. Here's an inexpensive soft dome I used for a project recently. Just about the same sensitivity so you may be able to use the existing network. The waveguide might get you better time alignment with the midrange driver. I ordered from this place in the UK and had them within a week.

https://willys-hifi.com/products/monacor-dt-25n-tweeter

Thread Information