Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: AV Component Front-ends

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Is that a Bel Canto I see on the right top?
    Maybe - I'm not sure about his CD player - but its all very nice electronics!

He has Legacy speaker - he has many of them in matched models around the room
    (other than the pair of homebuilt 2245 subs in the corner ...).
    They sound very nice with all his other gear!

http://www.legacyaudio.com/

Name:  SteveV-2010-02-26 008.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  36.9 KB

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Is that a Bel Canto I see on the right top?
    It sure looks like one but I thought all their gear was kind of half-width? (I haven't delved).

yes
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    yes
    que?

Name:  Manuel_que-che.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  15.2 KB
    Manuel of Fawlty Towers
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    que?
    Sí.
    Out.

clmrt
    Ha

jo (na klar doch).

Looks like the Integra DTC-9.8 is going to happen!!
    Cool... I have one and enjoy it with movies. They are a bit slow when changing sources and are not perfect, we have had a couple fail, but then we have sold quite a few. The failures were quickly repaired and no follow up issues... these are not like your Harman AVR. Over all I think they are a very nice bang for the buck, yeah, I know they weren't cheap, but a couple of grand is far less than many of their competitors.

If yours doesn't come with the Audyssey mic that was originally supplied with the unit, let me know and I will get you one. I can also give you pointers on getting the most from the Audyssey calibration. This model will support a dealer calibration, but you have to buy a license key through a local dealer and they have to come out and do the calibration. We charge $500 for the key and service call... in some systems it is really a day and night improvement, and others it is far more subtle.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Cool... I have one and enjoy it with movies. They are a bit slow when changing sources and are not perfect, we have had a couple fail, but then we have sold quite a few. The failures were quickly repaired and no follow up issues... these are not like your Harman AVR. Over all I think they are a very nice bang for the buck, yeah, I know they weren't cheap, but a couple of grand is far less than many of their competitors.

Widget
    Thank you! From what I could find it did seems like the best thing in that kind of price range (a bit under a grand).
    Seems to have a lot of love, and should play well with the Oppo.

Anyway, I just paid for it, so it should be here mid-next-week, with any luck.

I just got the L100T to T3 upgraded crossovers back from Duanage, so I want to get them back into cabinets and back into the system before I got much further - plus I need to gather my standalone amps (and maybe shuffle my cabinets) before the DTC-9.8 gets here ...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It sure looks like one but I thought all their gear was kind of half-width? (I haven't delved).

Yes, it's a Bel-Canto CD-1. I don't know if this is true, but I was told they made a bunch of these just before deciding to go to 1/2 width components. So, it was their last full-width CD player. They blew them all out at a huge discount without ever officially releasing them. I've been very happy with it for about 3 years. My wife really loves it too!

And Heather; thanks for all the kind words!

Integra DTC-9.8 arrived today.

Setup seems remarkably easy and straight-forward, tho there are a lot of possible settings and screens. I did a basic config and popped in a DVD - listened to Leonard Cohen - Songs From The Road. Sounded great and looked great. Watched some TV, again, quite nice sound and video. I probably have some work to do to get the best configuration for the OPPO and the Integra, but its already miles beyond the ding-dang Harman AVR.
    Ran out of time and have to head to bed but I'll pop in some Blu-rays tomorrow and see how they work, then try some CDs, SACDs and vinyl - yes, this modern pre-Pro actually has a phono input! Amazing!

Currently running with the Biamped mains on a pair of Adcom GFA-555s, and an Adcom GFA-2535 in 3 ch mode - sides (2x60w/ch) and center channel (1x120w/ch), and the HK Citation 22 for the B380 Sub (1x500w/ch) ... I'm hoping to get another Adcom 2 ch amp for the L100T3s - but I can run in 5.1 mode for a while at least.

I probably have some work to do to get the best configuration for the OPPO and the Integra, but its already miles beyond the ding-dang Harman AVR.
    Very cool! Congratulations... I have used mine for quite some time now and find it a very respectable HT processor. The 9.8 is very flexible with lots of assignable inputs, excellent video processing, and a solid and reliable build.

...yes, this modern pre-Pro actually has a phono input! Amazing!
    Not to rain on your parade, but the phono section is pretty weak. I really wouldn't plan on much two-channel action either... if you have an analog only system in your home, it will very likely be quite a bit better sounding for CDs and any other 2 channel source.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Very cool! Congratulations... I have used mine for quite some time now and find it a very respectable HT processor. The 9.8 is very flexible with lots of assignable inputs, excellent video processing, and a solid and reliable build.

Not to rain on your parade, but the phono section is pretty weak. I really wouldn't plan on much two-channel action either... if you have an analog only system in your home, it will very likely be quite a bit better sounding for CDs and any other 2 channel source.

Widget
    I'm not a huge vinyl buff - probably have less than 400 records, but thanks. Maybe I'll move the Denon TT upstairs to the Carver 6250 receiver with the L200+ 3-ways

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

I'm glad you found a solution.
    The one idea that keep running through my head - that AVR-7300 is 7ch at 130w/ch!
    I wish there was some way to bypass all the unreliable digital processing preamp stage, and just turn this puppy into a 7 channel power amp. Feed it with someone else's solid pre-pro and use the Harman for a power amp! That'd certainly keep this thing out of the landfill

8-ch direct (p34)

set the volume control and off you go.

Thread Information