Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE 14A surround

LE 14A surround

Hello everyone, just a quick question. Is it true that on the LE14A and perhaps the "C" too that the surround foam goes over the paper cone and not under like on most of the other JBL speakers? Not sure where I heard that perhaps even here. Does anyone know for sure? Cheers, Frank
    K2S5800,Proj Array1000,880,1500,SynthesisTWO,250Ti,240Ti,120Ti& 18Ti,S38,Libra,Ti2K,Dorian,L36,88,99,100,300,Jubal ,Apollo,4425

RIP 2009
    That's correct.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    Is it true that on the LE14A and perhaps the "C" too that the surround foam goes over the paper cone and not under like on most of the other JBL speakers?
    - It's true that the original foam is attached to the front side of the cone .

- It's also true that a couple of regulars here, have attached aftermarket foam surrounds ( Ricks' ? ) to the front side ( as in the original ).

- Importantly ( IMHO ), these "refoamers" have not provided any proof that the voice-coil is still centered . They should have at least provided some close up pics of the spider / so that the rest of us could determine for ourselves if the spider looks flat ( rather than depressed or pulled out ) .
    - I also notice that no-one, so far, has flipped the new foam over, ( 180°-reverse ) to match the original orientation of the half-roll ( the original lansaloy is an "innie vs the outie" of the new foam ) .

- From my perspective, it's still inconclusive as to which is the correct way ( gluing to front or back of cone ) .

<> EarlK

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - I also notice that no-one so far, has flipped the new foam over 180° to match the original orientation of the half-roll ( the original lansaloy is an "innie vs the outie" of the new foam ) .
    As I recall, the original yellow lansaloy surrounds were concave, but when JBL later switched to black foam surrounds on the LE14's, while still mounted to the outside, the rolls were now convex.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John
    As I recall, the original yellow lansaloy surrounds were concave, but when JBL later switched to black foam surrounds on the LE14's, while still mounted to the outside, the rolls were now convex.
    - I've never seen an original black foam surround ( on a le14a or H ) attached to the front ( outside ) / they've all been attached to the backside of the cone ( at least that's how my le14H woofs' surrounds are attached ) .

- It's all semantics ( IMO ), I'd attach new surrounds to give the most level spider deflection ( as close to a straight line when the woofer is placed facing upwards ).

- Though I should mention, I wouldn't buy used le14s with the black foam attached to the front-side of the cone .

While we're talking LE14's, can this transducer be used in a down firing mode for sub use?

Thanks

Jorg

Quote Originally Posted by 89-300ce View Post
    While we're talking LE14's, can this transducer be used in a down firing mode for sub use?

Thanks

Jorg
    Not a good idea. The cone is rather heavy and gravity won't do it any favors.

Best in a verticle orientation.

As far as where the surround is mounted...the original location is the bst method.

If the spider is over fatigued and stretched, that should be replaced too.

With the scarcity of LE14(x) recone kits, that will be the preferred alternative for restoration. New surround, spider, and dust dome.

It's considerably more difficult than a refoam, but the results in many cases will be superior in performance due to voice coil positioning at rest.

I've rarely seen a fried LE14 4" voice coil....they are very robust, and should continue to last a long time....short of abusing them.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

RIP 2009
    - I've never seen an original black foam surround ( on a le14a or H ) attached to the front ( outside ) / they've all been attached to the backside of the cone...
    In retrospect, I do believe you're correct. LE14A's with original black foam appear to have the surrounds glued to the back...

I do believe if replacing the original yellowed surrounds it still makes more sense to glue them to the front, as original, even though the roll is reversed.

John

Although it doesn't sound like a very good idea to me, Fosgate did produce LE14H-1 based subwoofers (model FS400)with down facing woofers. I own a set. I don't know if there is any bad effects, because both I and the previous owner use them on their side, with the woofer facing sideways as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    In retrospect, I do believe you're correct. LE14A's with original black foam appear to have the surrounds glued to the back...

I do believe if replacing the original yellowed surrounds it still makes more sense to glue them to the front, as original, even though the roll is reversed.

John
    Cosmetically, it looks much nicer than leaving the old Lansalloy on the front cone edge, or peeling it off and leaving the yellow glue residue behind. I also had a little bit of the Auquaplas lift when I did mine.

I've just got a pair of foam surrounds for LE14As and doing a dry fit, it does appear that the surround fits better behind the cone. This is also the way one LE14C I bought years ago had the foam mounted.
    Also tried it in the concave direction, and over the cone, just doesn't look quite right, too deep, compared to the old Lansalloy.

LE14 Refoam

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    Cosmetically, it looks much nicer than leaving the old Lansalloy on the front cone edge, or peeling it off and leaving the yellow glue residue behind. I also had a little bit of the Auquaplas lift when I did mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    I've just got a pair of foam surrounds for LE14As and doing a dry fit, it does appear that the surround fits better behind the cone. This is also the way one LE14C I bought years ago had the foam mounted.
    Also tried it in the concave direction, and over the cone, just doesn't look quite right, too deep, compared to the old Lansalloy.
    I am refoaming a pair of LE14's and I am facing the obvious dilema spoken of in this thread....I had substantial lifting of the Aquaplas while removing the old Lansaloy.....

Question....If I put the new foam on the rear of the cone as suggested for proper spider positioning, is there some coating I can use on the front to cover where the Aquaplas was lifted or is the Aquaplas still available....has anyone had any success using something for touch up?

BTW, these came out of these old "Barsilay" cabs I picked up...they have LE14's and LE20 and are built like custome end tables with swinging doors....kinda of a interesting old set to keep me busy piddling in the garage....

Thanks,Shaan
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Hi Shaan,

I am refoaming a pair of LE14's and I am facing the obvious dilema spoken of in this thread....I had substantial lifting of the Aquaplas while removing the old Lansaloy.....
    That's unfortunate, did you use anything to soften up the lansaloy before the removal process ? ( just curious, since I have a few old le14a beaters )

Question....If I put the new foam on the rear of the cone as suggested for proper spider positioning, is there some coating I can use on the front to cover where the Aquaplas was lifted or is the Aquaplas still available....has anyone had any success using something for touch up?
    - Whichever method you choose ( glued behind or in-front ) , pick the position that offers the flattest line across the spider. Doing so will give the best positioning to the voice-coil relative to the top-plate ( gap ) .

- One can't buy white aquaplas to recoat the lifted areas .

- I would consider just painting the damaged areas with the appropriate product from a manufacturer like "Zinsser" . They make an oil-based product called "Cover-Stain" that is an interior/exterior Primer Sealer . This product was used to ggreat effect by past member Steve Gonzales . Do a search to see if my memory is correct ( FWIW, the posts may have been expunged/deleted ) .

<> cheers

Hi Shaan,That's unfortunate, did you use anything to soften up the lansaloy before the removal process ? ( just curious, since I have a few old le14a beaters )..... Whichever method you choose ( glued behind or in-front ) , pick the position that offers the flattest line across the spider. Doing so will give the best positioning to the voice-coil relative to the top-plate ( gap )
    Yes sir....I used some MEK like one of the threads suggested....I think the MEK unfortunately also loosened up the Aquaplas.....

Will do on the new foam.....I suppose if I can get away with putting on the front(if that is the flattest position for the spider, it wont be much of a problem.....

I'll let ya know how it goes.... thanks,Shaan

Thread Information