Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson speakers rumor

just made the final payment saturday.until i finish the show i really have little time to do everything i have to do to get them home.its not going to be waist deep in snow for long.im trying to get some better amplification going but no word on that yet.regards jc

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    just made the final payment saturday.until i finish the show i really have little time to do everything i have to do to get them home.its not going to be waist deep in snow for long.im trying to get some better amplification going but no word on that yet.regards jc
    I had visions of you walking in with a backpack full of $100 bills and loading the Wilsons in the station waggon and then enlisting the neighbors to help you hook them up to the Sanyo receiver, so you could put on some shaggy , celine and whitney.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    American Hi-FI does an excellent job of shipping

IME at least.....

even if you buy the item for $1
    (which is how much the Fosgate processor I got from them cost me -- plus shipping that is )

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Jim,

What are the cabinets made from?

We had a nutter here in England who DIY'ed some clones about 6 years ago and ran them with 2 x 24" Precision Devices subwoofers. Utterly enormous soundstage.
    Hi can you give me any more info? Is there more info online?
    geocities.com/xobt

those high end rooms were kind of holy places.my ticket was the sp6a i got from advance.when i get them home and set up we will sit down for a listen or two.

Bump

Well the snow is gone and it has been over 30C. here?

Do you need a hand hauling them home

Romy the Cat
    i confess it was me......and i throw myself on the mercy of the forum.
    Jim, I very rarely visit this forum but reading this thread (juts a few posts) it picked my interests. Can you tell me what motivated you to get Grand Slamms? I really care less how much members of you family you put in pawnshop, keep it to impress others. What I am interested is your pure audio motivation and your rational for buying of the sonic capacity of Grand Slamms. Sure, should you be juts a reach fool who have some money to spend then who cares what you bought. But since you went for considerable actions to raise money for your action I presume that there was “something” that motivated you. I ma very far form the position to worship the Grand Slamms and at the same time a am very far from considering them as a peace of audio crap. My question is more not about the Grand Slamms specifically but about the reasoning and motivations that some people use when they get for instance the 50K audio components. Sure you pay a lot of money but do you get an reasonable sonic compensation by the result of you actions? Could you elaborate about your thoughts?

Rgs,

well............i am generally motivated by my early memories of nelson rockefeller who was reputed to carry a large cache of dimes which he used to hand out to the peasants.i thought to myself,let them eat cake and spent the lot on gear........your joking right?.............that name brings to mind a local artist that i actually went to see thursday night but someone else was playing.hopefully she will appear there soon preferably on a day that i dont have to work

Maybe this thread should be whacked !!! It seems to be empty

of nelson rockefeller who was reputed to carry a large cache of dimes
    that may have been John D.............

Speaker Buying Motivations ??? wow, we cud have a whole forum devoted to that one.....

"Do you use The Strasborg Method of motivation OR do you use the classic greed/lust model ?"

Well I've worked hard for my stash, the bills are paid every month and I deserved something nice for myself. You cant take it with you.

Romy the Cat
    well............i am generally motivated by my early memories of nelson rockefeller who was reputed to carry a large cache of dimes which he used to hand out to the peasants.i thought to myself,let them eat cake and spent the lot on gear........your joking right?.............that name brings to mind a local artist that i actually went to see thursday night but someone else was playing.hopefully she will appear there soon preferably on a day that i dont have to work
    Nope, I was not joking but I got the idea from your reply. I would be lying if I say that expected more lucid rational. The key is do not confuse what we start joking to ourselves… but…. it would be already some kind of high-end of something… and it would be out of scope of this thread…

Good luck,
    Romy the cat

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    that may have been John D.............
    d'oh............and as far as rtc is concerned "whaa" im definitely missin somethin here but i think i see a germ of an idea.........the fact that someone in our modern world would buy a large luxury item (tho to me it's the music thats the very life blood)...........sticks in the craw of a lot of folks.over the years ive noted that many of these same folks think nothing of spending large portions of their lives and much money on travel that they never tire of telling me about.i wonder what it is that makes me a bad guy for spending the money that ive earned,paid taxes on,and resisted the temptations of the world to save to buy something tangible with it.they have the memories of their travel and i have a lifetime,well a short one anyhoo,of music to behold that sounds faithful as the artist intended.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

"Do you use The Strasborg Method of motivation OR do you use the classic greed/lust model ?"
    greed/lust works for me.................i wonder what the poor people are doing.........

i wonder what the poor people are doing.........
    Oh, they are buying BOSE and pretending they've got JBL's or Wilson's...

Quote Originally Posted by Romy the Cat View Post
    Jim...
    Can you tell me what motivated you to get Grand Slamms?

...What I am interested is your pure audio motivation and your rational for buying of the sonic capacity of Grand Slamms.

...since you went for considerable actions to raise money for your action I presume that there was “something” that motivated you.

My question is ...about the reasoning and motivations that some people use when they get for instance the 50K audio components. Sure you pay a lot of money but do you get an reasonable sonic compensation by the result of you actions? Could you elaborate about your thoughts?

Rgs,
    d'oh............and as far as rtc is concerned "whaa" im definitely missin somethin here but i think i see a germ of an idea.........the fact that someone in our modern world would buy a large luxury item (tho to me it's the music thats the very life blood)...........sticks in the craw of a lot of folks.over the years ive noted that many of these same folks think nothing of spending large portions of their lives and much money on travel that they never tire of telling me about.i wonder what it is that makes me a bad guy for spending the money that ive earned,paid taxes on,and resisted the temptations of the world to save to buy something tangible with it.they have the memories of their travel and i have a lifetime,well a short one anyhoo,of music to behold that sounds faithful as the artist intended.
    Jim

I tried to pull out the key thoughts I thought were in RTC's post. AFAICT, he had a sincere question to know why you "went there."

I have to admit, I had some of those same thoughts (unspoken) when I read what you had done. Understand, these are not doubts or recriminations, but more questions of awe and comprehension, like "How the hell did you have the balls to do that?"

You gave some insight in your second post quoted above, and I think it's pretty good stuff. I felt my balls grow a little as I read your rationale. "Yeah, why not... ?"

Unless I'm missing something here, no one is thinking you're a bad guy; instead, some of us are thinking, "Jeez, Jim is THE MAN. He just f'in did it."

At least that's my take on it.

well dome you are truly wise,and that i did not see that in there is my failing.truth be told i would have never done anything like that if i wasnt getting frustrated at every turn trying to find a decent set of big jb monitors,as well the memories of all that down time from a lack of available service and parts in this neck of the woods.(i'll spare you a rant on the current state of jb marketing)at my advanced time of life six months waiting for a part is a big chunk of my remaining time.ive been unable to get them home as i have been working like a madman to make up for the loss of falcon beach,which was not picked up for a third season.that was a big blow to the industry here.since i dont have any other expensive vices beyond music and beer why the hell not.and how often are you going to find a pair of those for the price,local p/u and no sales tax(private sale)when i was a young man i was dutifully saving for a tour of europe when i saw a sportster that drew me into a whole new world and i never regretted that either.

Thread Information