Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: S4700 for sale in the USA

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I'm not disparaging it; I'm just making the obvious comparisons. I posted over on AVS that it's 55% of the K2 at 45% of the price, which in my book makes it a pretty good deal. A few forumites disagreed, writing it was less than 55% of the K2, but I do really think it gives at least 55% of what the K2 excels at.
    Given that it isn't a full blown K2 at 45% of the price I'd probably just stick with a pair of L300's with full mods for a few grand.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    The guy from work who was with me in Japan to hear the E2, K2, 4338, S4600, etc is at CES today and sent this pic at my request. Said they sound good but couldn't turn them up loud enough to compare to treated, closed listening room in Japan.
    Apparently he was with some audiophile friends, B&W, tube amp fellers, blah blah blah, but said they commented, "wow THIS is what great speakers should sound like!"
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

I would love to hear this speaker. A BIG step up from the 1400 Array? I , for one, am curious.

after all, it is almost double list price.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    I would love to hear this speaker. A BIG step up from the 1400 Array? I , for one, am curious.
    I highly doubt it.
    The drivers are the same as the ones in Studio 4429, with a bigger bass and slightly bigger horn(?).

The Array 1400 is WAY better than the 4429. The 045ti and 435AL-drivers are pretty good.

Obsolete
    Correct.

My personal opinion is that the best way to view this is for people who just can't live with the looks of a 1400 Array.

"You don't like the 1400 Array? Then we'll sell you something a little more conventional looking and charge you double for it."

Don't get me wrong though. I do like the looks of this system and it probably sounds quite good. I could see paying around five or six grand for a pair. I just have a problem with sinking tons of money into second and third tier components.

Yep, those SAM1HF's sporting 1400 Array networks and a bass driver of choice look better and better by the day...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Correct.

My personal opinion is that the best way to view this is for people who just can't live with the looks of a 1400 Array.

"You don't like the 1400 Array? Then we'll sell you something a little more conventional looking and charge you double for it."

Don't get me wrong though. I do like the looks of this system and it probably sounds quite good. I could see paying around five or six grand for a pair. I just have a problem with sinking tons of money into second and third tier components.

I think I may be one of the few who actually like the looks of the Array. I like that they appear different than the norm. So does my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

Yep, those SAM1HF's sporting 1400 Array networks and a bass driver of choice look better and better by the day...
    Just got back from CES... saw them in person and kinda sorta heard them. Unfortunately they were playing in a large suite with all of the new Mark Levinson and Revel gear also in the room so tons of people were milling about and talking. I did look at them, and they do look far more conventional...

I wasn't in love with the materials though. I don't think the finish on the horn is as nice looking as the soft touch on the Array Series, or as nice as the paint on the K2 or Everest II and the wood is the same processed Italian "Zebra Wood" as used on the K2 with the same satin finish that makes it look like formica. Obviously many folks don't seem to be sensitive to the look of the this "wood"... as a woodworker I dislike it. They use a similar wood on the Array, but with the high gloss finish, even though it is a processed "wood" a certain amount of depth still shows through. The Everest II has the same satin finish, but since they are using natural wood veneers, it looks very nice. Obviously this is all subjective and only my opinion, but I wish JBL offered the same finishes as the new Revel Performa line that starts at $1700 and goes up to $6500 and has a truly magnificent walnut or cherry option.

The long and the short of it is this. The S4700 is a product that was born and raised for the Japanese market. For the first time JBL is offering US Synthesis dealers one of these Japan oriented speakers. I guess there is a real cultural divide here. The 1400 Array does not sell in Japan, being an American, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this S4700. For years we have been crying for the Japan oriented JBLs... well here you go. Personally I'd rather have a pair of 1400 Arrays and the new $8K Mark Levinson CD/SACD/DAC... that piece is on my short list of soon to be coveted gear.

Widget

I think I may be one of the few who actually like the looks of the Array. I like that they appear different than the norm. So does my wife.
    As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd say you are lucky. Most people who see mine appreciate the excellent build quality and the sumptuous materials... but the styling?

The 1400 Array is very likely the best loudspeaker out there that is sub $15K and better than many that are significantly more expensive... but it's looks scare away most potential buyers. I am shocked JBL is still offering it, but I guess they can't make bad decisions 100% of the time.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    For the first time JBL is offering US Synthesis dealers one of these Japan oriented speakers.
    Interesting post there Mr. Widget. Thanks!

I noticed on their website that they mention the LE175 with respect to this system as if the current compression driver is a derivative. And of course the LF is called a 2216...

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd say you are lucky. Most people who see mine appreciate the excellent build quality and the sumptuous materials... but the styling?

The 1400 Array is very likely the best loudspeaker out there that is sub $15K and better than many that are significantly more expensive... but it's looks scare away most potential buyers. I am shocked JBL is still offering it, but I guess they can't make bad decisions 100% of the time.

Widget

To each his own, I suppose. Since you purchased yours, you musta' like it a little bit???? Regardless, if they are 'bringing' back the 1000 Array then someone thinks it is a worthwhile product. Perhaps I am wrong. No matter.

did you hear the new Revels

so the finish on them is first class did you take any photos

the new M106 with its new price point seems to be a great great value

i will be in northrige on tuesday hope to see the new performa line in acction

To each his own, I suppose. Since you purchased yours, you musta' like it a little bit???? Regardless, if they are 'bringing' back the 1000 Array then someone thinks it is a worthwhile product. Perhaps I am wrong. No matter.
    Love the sound enough to live with the looks... and like I said, they are obviously well made and nicely finished, but I am not in love with the looks enough that time permitting, I hope to build a clone that I'd rather look at in my living room.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    did you hear the new Revels

so the finish on them is first class did you take any photos

the new M106 with its new price point seems to be a great great value

i will be in northrige on tuesday hope to see the new performa line in acction
    If I were like some members here, I'd even have pictures of the boxes stacked in the room next to the demo room. Sorry... no pictures.

The M106 is the M22 replacement. It was playing in the next room and the walls were shaking. I spent the time talking with Kevin Voecks instead of a less than ideal listening experience. I loved the M22, we have sold quite a few of them, based on my conversation with Kevin, the M106 will be much more of a good thing and at a lower price point. I am sure we'll sell a pile of them and I'll get to evaluate them in a number of rooms.

As for what you'll hear at Northridge... not sure. They really only have a pair of M106s and a pair of F208s operational so far. These speakers won't be available until the beginning of summer.

Widget

If I were like some members here, I'd even have pictures of the boxes stacked in the room next to the demo room. Sorry... no pictures.

Widget
    That would be so cool.
    Out.

Thread Information