Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best TV-Cine themes/soundtrax ???

Best TV-Cine themes/soundtrax ???

I think there is actually some good quality music in themes/soundtrax ....have a number of them on the pod

What are your opinions ?? No wrong answers (mostly)

For TV themes ...there are the old standbys
    Hawaii 5-O
    Peter Gunn
    Rockfish Files
    Miami Vice

and the far away #1 ...Mission Impossible

Movies ?? the Laurie Johnson theme running thru the James Bond films is most famous
    and I think Bassey's Goldfinger is prolly tops
    I actually liked the ST from Gladiator, tho dont remember the theme
    the ST from Crimson Tide is very high on my list
    Top gun
    V for Vendetta
    and I liked Nancy's You only Live Twice from the like titled film

just a few for starters .... which are up on your playlist often ???
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Theme Music

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I think there is actually good quality music in themes/soundtracx ....What are your opinions....ostly)

Hawaii 5-O
    Peter Gunn
    Rockfish Files
    Miami Vice

and the far away #1 ...Mission Impossible....Movies ?....the Laurie Johnson theme running thru the James Bond.... films most famous.... Bassey's Goldfinger is probably tops....ST from Gladiator....the ST from Crimson Tide is very high on my list....Top gun, V for Vendetta....and I liked Nancy's You only Live Twice from the like titled film.....just a few for starters .... which are up on your playlist often ???
    The Theme from the movie "Picnic" with the counter melody of the piano against the supporting orchestration is simply stunning.

If you have seen this gem, you may have gleaned the context of this movie lurking in the back ground suggesting "that we all need a lot of loving."

Barney Miller.

The Odd Couple, I love the organ line on it, (the announcer just cracks me up, so serious & dramatic) great stuff.
    Opening scenes are classic 70's NYC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1h4ibpKJA

MOst recently I liked the opening theme to Malcolm in the Middle, like the opening guitar chords, just plain fun.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post
    The Theme from the movie "Picnic" with the counter melody of the piano against the supporting orchestration is simply stunning.
    is this the one ?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048491/

have to admit that the ST from Gladiator is so dynamic that it was the only
    music I've played that sent my original Walsh 2XO's into thermal protective shutdown,
    tho the creaking of the submarines lows from Crimson Tide will shake the windows too.

oh, and Koyaanisqatsi & Clockwork Orange and Mullholland Drive ..

Picnic

SEAWOLF97 ....is this the one??: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048491/,

Yes, this Link is the Movie "Picnic" with "MOONGLOW AND THEME" composed by Morris Stolof on his was way to work on the LA Freeway. I have the original 1956 45 rpm mono sound track, plus an MCA stereo CD #MSD2-35317 titled "INSTRUMENTAL GOLD" with Moon Glow, track#2 and and Arthur Lyman's awesome "Yellow Bird," track #17, and a few other gems.

In "House Boat" there is a scene with unforgettable beautiful music where Cary Grant takes Sophia Loren his hired house maid/baby sitter from a river house boat to a shore party. While they were dancing they encounter Cary Grant's Bride To-Be and someone congratulates Cary Grant on his engagement. Sophia Loren, in outrage, Tells Cary Grant "would you please do me the honor to go straight to hell!" and she runs off back to the house boat to take care of Cary Grant's children.

"Ben Hur" on a wide screen in a huge Camden theater near RCA had magnificient sound on the RCA Ubangi speakers.

Blade Runner

Vangelis? did the sound track to this classic sci-fi thriller. very good work that follows the movies well.
    Guy in WNY

Herki ...your replies are always welcome even if I don't agree with them all.

an only barely related thought.

my dad was born in 1919 , I in 1949 and my son in 1981 , so year wise I'm slightly closer to dad than my son to me , BUT ...we shared very little in musical interests ...the 30s,40s just didnt excite ...(left out the 50's as I'm starting to find them more comfortable) My son and I share a lot of music. He is a big fan of the 60's, 70's and I like the 80's and find fun pieces in the 90's and oughts.

that prolly is a good basis for a college paper, but the more important thing is that father & son have even another thing to share, wish I could have done that with my dad.

I was very gratified when he visited from Chicago on Thanksgiving , that we spent time going through my vinyl and culling out the dupes for him ...he took all his CD's ( 160 pounds worth) and media mailed home (in addition to the records) to trade in for more LP's ....he placed value on the Beatles, LZ and CCR that I was able to pass on to him.

how could I forget ??

#2 TV theme , only .00001% behind MI has to be Nelson Riddles
    Route 66 theme
    ..its so good that I've been induced to pick up other NR albums...

the entire ST for Mr. Lucky is pretty good too ..

Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post
    SEAWOLF97 ....is this the one??: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048491/,

Yes, this Link is the Movie "Picnic" with "MOONGLOW AND THEME" composed by Morris Stolof on his was way to work on the LA Freeway. I have the original 1956 45 rpm mono sound track, plus an MCA stereo CD #MSD2-35317 titled "INSTRUMENTAL GOLD" with Moon Glow, track#2 and and Arthur Lyman's awesome "Yellow Bird," track #17, and a few other gems.
    had never heard of PICNIC , but I was at the record co-op last week and there are usually a bunch of free LP's...this was among the batch I grabbed, guess I will be able to sample your fave ..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Merry Holidays!

I think there is actually some good quality music in themes/soundtrax ....have a number of them on the pod

What are your opinions ?? No wrong answers (mostly)

Hawaii 5-O
    Peter Gunn
    Rockfish Files
    Miami Vice

and the far away #1 ...Mission Impossible

Movies ?? the Laurie Johnson theme running thru the James Bond films is most famous
    and I think Bassey's Goldfinger is prolly tops
    I actually liked the ST from Gladiator, tho dont remember the theme
    the ST from Crimson Tide is very high on my list
    Top gun
    V for Vendetta
    and I liked Nancy's You only Live Twice from the like titled film

just a few for starters .... which are up on your playlist often ???
    Seawolf, my messages to you aren't going through...??? Have a happy holiday and enjoy the sunshine we are having! Pete

Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    Seawolf, my messages to you aren't going through...??? Have a happy holiday and enjoy the sunshine we are having! Pete

Good to hear from you Pete ...you are always welcome here when in the area....been taking advantage of the sunshine to push up my YTD mileage on the bikes ...did you ever see the 250's ?

PS

Good to hear from you Pete ...you are always welcome here when in the area....been taking advantage of the sunshine to push up my YTD mileage on the bikes ...did you ever see the 250's ?
    Never did hear the 250's. Hope I am not blocked from PM's??? Haven't been on here for quite some time, busy with work and band/sound shows, new fiance, etc. Pete

Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    Never did hear the 250's. Hope I am not blocked from PM's??? Haven't been on here for quite some time, busy with work and band/sound shows, new fiance, etc. Pete

no, no ...a bit back some wacko was posting nasty photos as visitor messages on members profiles, before the mods responded, I turned OFF the messaging option. just never got around to turning it back ON again.

new fiance ?? cool . How's the OSU (UofO ?) kids ? My son returned from Univ. of London with his Masters and is looking for the right school for his doctorate. He hooked up with forumite Rich while over there and is currently playing fone tag with forumite Nick in Chicago ...Chris got some L56's and a SL-1200 mk1 and is enjoying spinning vinyl.

another fave ST is "Apocalypse Now" .....it has some dreamlike synth . lots of DOORS and wow, the percussion element is outstanding.

I have the "Apocalypse Now Sessions " by Micky Hart and "The Rhythm Devils" , the last cut .."Napalm for Breakfast" has a 16hz ending that is too much for most of my speakers and afraid to try it on the 250Ti's....it is spooky, dark and conjures up nasty things.

I had the 2 vhs tape (5.5 hours) of the raw film of this flick ....it was all DOORS soundtrack with no narration, quality was poor and I resold it.

Anyway, the AN ST was ahead of its time and I think a forerunner of things to come, it meshed and strengthened the story as a good ST should.

The "redux" CD contains a lot that didn't make it into the film and is quite nice all by it's self.

Movie Soundtracks & TV themes

As a classically trained musician, I probably have a different point of view than most of us here. Here then is my meager contribution to this discussion, some of my faves:

Robin Hood, music by Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Ben-Hur, music by Miklos Rozsa
    Magnificent Seven, music by Elmer Bernstein
    Spartacus, music by Alex North
    The Lion in Winter, music by John Barry
    The Ghost and the Darkness, music by Jerry Golsmith
    Lawrence of Arabia, music by Maurice Jarre
    Peter Gunn, music by Henry Mancini
    Images, music by John Williams
    Kingdom of Heaven, music by Harry Gregson-Williams
    The Red Violin, music by John Corigiano
    Wyatt Earp, music by James Newton Howard

Not all inclusive to be sure, but these are some of my favorites compositionally and just plain fun to listen too

Thread Information