Thread: My baby blues arrive: what's that little dial do?

My baby blues arrive: what's that little dial do?

Greetings. My 4301Bs arrived. There is a small little dial at the bottom? What does it do and what should it be set at?

Now I am going to test these against the L46s ans what suites me best. Funny thing. It seemd as if the 4301Bs which are slight shorter but slightly fatter than the L46s weighed a bit more. At least my back thinks so.

Best Wishes,

DK
    I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    Greetings. My 4301Bs arrived. There is a small little dial at the bottom? What does it do and what should it be set at?
    You're kidding, right?

Frequency Dividing Network
    Smooth control of the component loudspeakers is achieved by a frequency dividing network engineered and tested to complement the electrical and acoustical characteristics of the system.The dividing network is fitted with a continuously variable control that permits adjusting the relative level of the high frequency direct radiator to suit listening preferences and room conditions. The control does not affect the crossover frequency, nor does it limit the upper frequency-response of the loudspeaker system.
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4301b.pdf

Thank you very much. I am fairly new to all of this. The dial will be interesting to test out.

DK

Gary L
    Welcome Dark Knight!

Let us know when you have that little dial adjusted just perfect!

Although they do as they are intended I have alway found them rather annoying because it seems I am always and forever fiddeling with them to tailor the sound with various source music and room acoustics.

Your mileage may varry but on some days I like the dial in one position and other days a completely different setting. Eventually you will probably find you just set it to one spot and then pretty much leave it alone.

Kind of a choice between relaxing and listening to music or getting your daily exercize doing jumping jacks back and forth to your speakers!

Gary

Thanks Gary L.

I have already made several adjustments. I find the high frequency of the 4301Bs just a bit too much and have put the dial at "-1". That seem to have taken the edge off. But, I really have to leave it alone beacuse I do not want to wear my grills down. The grill cloth is in pretty good shape but I get the sense that it could fray easily where I have to grab the to remove the entire grill.

The frames also have a slight crack that I do not want to aggrivate. Is there any type of glue that I can use to fill in the crack to make sure it does not get worse?

Those little blue boxes sure have some power.

DK

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    Although they do as they are intended I have alway found them rather annoying because it seems I am always and forever fiddeling with them to tailor the sound with various source music and room acoustics.

Your mileage may varry but on some days I like the dial in one position and other days a completely different setting. Eventually you will probably find you just set it to one spot and then pretty much leave it alone.
    Consider the source material, the monitors used during mixing, and the ears of the engineer. It's always gonna change and it's not just your ears or your room. Once you get your room and system set up, the necessity for fiddling is more your tolerance for listening to less-than-ideal recordings. That's why they make EQs. You shouldn't try to compensate for variables from recording to recording through the crossover pots.

Gary L
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Consider the source material, the monitors used during mixing, and the ears of the engineer. It's always gonna change and it's not just your ears or your room. Once you get your room and system set up, the necessity for fiddling is more your tolerance for listening to less-than-ideal recordings. That's why they make EQs. You shouldn't try to compensate for variables from recording to recording through the crossover pots.
    I quite agree but in living rooms such as my own, the purpose is to tailor the sound for room acoustics. When we make changes such as adding two additional couples, that can change a small rooms acoustics.
    I just came to a realization with my Altecs with dual adjustments that I am barking at the moon to try to get them set for the best sound in all situations. I basically just leave them at the Optimal settings and forget they even have adjustments. I'm pretty sure others do the same!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    I'm pretty sure others do the same!
    Well, no.

Some of us measure to set it "Right" and then just pretend we like it that way....

Gary L
    Well, OK!

Now if you could just tell us all what is "RIGHT" and get better than 50% of us to agree then we could get on with locating Audio Nirvanah!

"Those who embark on a Never Ending Mission shall never reach the end"!

They may however have a great deal of fun in their travels because it really is more about the journey than it is about the destination.

Gary

OK. I thought I would ask another question. I have been listening to the 4301B. There seems to be high frequency edge to them that I find bit fatiguing at higher volumes. It did not happen with the L46s which seemed a bit more balanced, rounded., or warm. I am not sure sure how to describe it. I also find that the 4301Bs have more forward power than does the L46s. Does any one have a simliar experience or thoughts.

DK

Thread Information