Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL unveils new LS series Loudspeakers

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    and my L820s came yesterday
    Oh. Now I understand the personal bit. I didn't realize... however, I was not condemning anyone who avails themselves of Harman's marketing system. I was simply pointing out that it is because of deals like that, that no dealer in America is going to stock this stuff. It doesn't work out for them. Perhaps before the internet a company could blow out gear in a local market, but today the whole country is pretty much one market.

I hope your new speakers turn out to be just what you wanted and you enjoy them.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    All these new JBLs that have come along since the Performance Series have bi-wiring post. The idea is to...
    I think the idea is that everyone else has been doing it for sometime now and JBL is simply following the trend. It started years ago with some high end speakers and eventually down market speakers started doing it as an inexpensive way to appear more up market.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think the idea is that everyone else has been doing it for sometime now and JBL is simply following the trend. It started years ago with some high end speakers and eventually down market speakers started doing it as an inexpensive way to appear more up market.

Widget
    You're right, but I do hate those darn plated bridging straps. I replace them all with short lengths of speaker wire for a surer and longer-lasting connection.

I once measured the resistance at each pair of terminals connected by the straps, then remeasured them 12 months later (New Years Day to New Years Day). The values had risen by 0.9 to 1.2 from previous readings. All the straps came off that day to be replaced by wire. The values immediately returned to the former levels.

Inspection revealed a kind of patina built up on the straps, which appeared to increase resistance at the point of contact over time.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    You're right, but I do hate those darn plated bridging straps. I replace them all with short lengths of speaker wire for a surer and longer-lasting connection.
    Ditto, here.

When I called up and asked, about a month ago, the answer was they didn't know where they would be available.

EISA award

The JBL LS80 has won the EISA 2008 / 2009 award:
    http://www.eisa.eu/eisa/awards/2008-2009
    Type Page Down 15-20 times or use Ctrl-F to find the citation.

I saw the LS and the TS series in numerous department stores and specialty audio stores in Tokyo recently.

Its really a trend that I think the JBL brand is following by going for a taller more slender enclosure. According to a Japanese rep in one of the stores the WAF is becoming or is a major factor in the purchase decision and due to competitive forces JBL had to come up with something. JBL has a strong precence in the upper, middle and lower end ranges and needed something to compete with the likes in Sonus Faber, B & W, KEF, Mission and Tannoy to name a few that are also stocked by these dealers.

I think there is also a growing trend or a change in listening tastes that is reflected in the way these systems perform.

Aside from that the more traditional larger 43XX will just not fit in a typical Japanese living room.

The relevance is that this where the market and the sales are. (Tokyo population 12 million)

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Daugaard View Post
    The JBL LS80 has won the EISA 2008 / 2009 award:
    http://www.eisa.eu/eisa/awards/2008-2009
    Type Page Down 15-20 times or use Ctrl-F to find the citation.
    Thanks for the info, Jan!
    I did a screen cap to grab the Award section on the LS80 and post it here permanently
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL also highlights this award on their product information page for the LS80. The same page that gives links to the product owners manual in several European languages including Russian. http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...CheckProduct=Y

The more I look at these awards and the FAQ, the more I'm thinking "Motor Trend Car of the Year". These Euro products are nominated by magazine editors within their community and voted on by the same editors. I wouldn't put much significance in the awards until someone shows me the advertising budget spent in these magazines by these nominated manufacturers. And I'd be more impressed if Harman had the balls to market these in their home country. But we've been there before.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    And I'd be more impressed if Harman had the balls to market these in their home country. But we've been there before.
    Who here would have the money to buy them? (That guestion is from JBL)

Even though we are striving with all our might to become the richest third-world country in the known universe Harman may start marketing more here anyway. I guess we'll soon see.

I just can't leave this alone -

Americans’ jobs are vanishing at the fastest rate in more than five years and the pace is expected to increase in the coming months. The nation's unemployment rate now stands at 6.1 percent, up sharply from 4.7 percent a year ago, meaning the number of unemployed people has risen by 2.2 million to 9.5 million.

That's more than the entire population of New York City. In this country that is patently rediculous. You get caught exporting an American job you get exported right along with it. We just don't need you living here in our society. Export our jobs and we export you. And don't forget to leave your U.S. citizenship at the door. You won't be needing it where you're headed.

I fully support International Labor Unions. It's about time they go global too.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I saw the LS and the TS series in numerous department stores and specialty audio stores in Tokyo recently.
    Hopefully you will start a thread with highlights of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

You get caught exporting an American job you get exported right along with it. We just don't need you living here in our society. Export our jobs and we export you. And don't forget to leave your U.S. citizenship at the door. You won't be needing it where you're headed.
    I LOVE that idea - how do we get it implemented - we don't have the clout of an Abramoff or those other guys on K street ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Who here would have the money to buy them? (That guestion is from JBL)
    If they were so marketing-savvy they'd already know that answer. And not be in dire financial straits. And how much worse off is the financial market or economic prospect here in the USA versus the other markets where JBL does sell the LS80, like Slovenia? Of course, as has often been repeated here, they'll never know until they try. Or at least announce a price. And what would it really cost them to market some of the stuff here in the U.S. that they make here? If their best marketing is exemplified in their on-line tent sales or wholesalers on Ebay dumping product, then they have no marketing plan.

Aspirational marketing is the key. Harman has squandered the JBL name. Apple, for example, has marketed their brand on MP3 players and parlayed that into a huge jump in market share of their laptop products. But I'm simply beating that dead horse again.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I LOVE that idea - how do we get it implemented - we don't have the clout of an Abramoff or those other guys on K street ...
    Write your congress person. The same way we stymied the bailout of Wall Street for a week. Ultimately they failed, and the greedy bastards will find the loopholes to exploit, but they did make a decent effort.

Letting your representatives know how you feel has never been easier and it doesn't even cost a stamp anymore.

Write your congress person. The same way we stymied the bailout of Wall Street for a week. Ultimately they failed, and the greedy bastards will find the loopholes to exploit, but they did make a decent effort.

Letting your representatives know how you feel has never been easier and it doesn't even cost a stamp anymore.
    No, I know how to write them and do -
    I mean, how do we make it HAPPEN!

Thread Information