Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL L15 Refurbish

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    >>Santa Barbarian= Silver Spoon Surfer Dudes&HOT Chicks ...yes & yes2

When resided in LA, summers were in Carpenteria. Would love to live there now.

labor day 1972 ... in my MGB roadster , raced a Dat2000 from BigSur to SLO on Hwy1 ...both full bore for 100 miles. Fantastic drive ... sunburned to a crisp, but good times.

Now, cycling is more fun for me.
    72/75 In "MY 71 MGB", 5 of us, 2 "B"'s, Dat1800, 911S, and Nick's BIG Block Mustang, up and down from Sub Base New London, to Portsmouth N.H. Some runs on "95" would like to forget.
    Not a straight road in sight, off 95.
    Last "run" on Rt.1 was 1968 from SF to Santa Cruz on my 1957?, Triumph 650,
    Raked 10" over springer, 21" front wheel, solo seat, rigid frame, NO front brake!!Beast
    Ran with a BSA, and 750 Norton(nice). Stoned to the BONE !! Scared to Death.

My ragtop now is a Toy Solara, The run outside of SF north, tested these 66 year old arms.
    Thank God for automatic transmissions, could have never sticked it..Here in Fl. Straight ....

Do we have to move this to the Nostalgia Forum?

How bout New London, First time I sat in front of a,

JBL D44000 Paragon

As a Sonar Tech, We were all about sound and our stereos. We could talk specs, to death.
    So this thing was something else. But of course, married, E4, Thank goodness for sub pay $105/mo.
    Had a set of Nova's, Garrard SL95B, and Laffyet receiver.
    Tender pukes loved us STs, we had "Tapes" Scotch 202's, 1.5 mil, Could "comshaw" anything.

"Now, cycling is more fun for me."
    Could not believe West Coast, Bikes everywhere, with the right of way !!!

nope, not 1b's ..10b's. 2 way bookshelf.

DLIWC Monterey ..on the hill , just above Fisherman's Wharf, can see Cannery Row.

Boot also NTC Sandy Eggo. Grew up as a Santa Barbarian, inducted LA.

Did see CCR, Animals, Canned Heat ..etc @ Pleasanton Horse Track - near SF
    Ravi Shankar too (SF area). Joni Mitchell - Big Sur = all 1968

hunting subs - theirs, not ours.
    "hunting subs - theirs, not ours."
    Got simulated "Sunk" by a Hormone from the "Moskva"
    Hard to pick up helicopters. Torpedoes from nowhere.

JBL L15 Refurbish

"still have L15,L19, projects to work on.[/QUOTE]"

Are you addressing the same issues as me on L15's?

Actually have not had the feedback on my specific questions
    as I would have expected. Kind of disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post

Are you addressing the same issues as me on L15's?
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...907469320.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    As a Sonar Tech, We were all about sound and our stereos.
    sonar was the only school that I did not qual for. they tried to push me to OCS, nukes ..etc. An extra 4 years when you are 19 was too much extension.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...907469320.html

sonar was the only school that I did not qual for. they tried to push me to OCS, nukes ..etc. An extra 4 years when you are 19 was too much extension.

Way lucky here. Selected, Photo Mate(closed), Air recon(dumb), GM(loved my guns, figured brown water Swift, VN, AGAIN Dumb), and radio,
    "electronics" BIG deal back then. Only guy in company 733 to go to subs. They all looked a me like I was crazy.
    Didn't know i even volunteered ??? Went from Vacuum tube theory71, Transistor/diode72, Digital73,
    Still young and dumb, didn't realize I was on the leading edge. Theory of Sound rounded out my audio.
    Sent to "A" School NO Extension
    There was 12 of us. We stayed at ASW Base They hated us. No watches, front of line at lunch chow. School was a small building on the tip of Point Loma next to new lighthouse.We had a periscope and hydrophone array out in
    channel leading into SD.

JBL L15 VINTAGE SPEAKERS ***EX CONDITION *** WORK

ORDER TOTALUS $276.50

Damaged in shipping $100 off.

I went to Polaris electronics training in the Navy, (Dam Neck VA) but there were no L15s there. I did visit with a guy once back then who had L15s sitting on the floor. I thought that they were too small to be floor speakers. Still think so. I've owned two sets of L15s since then myself, but I can't help with modding them because I never thought they needed any mods. I liked them just fine in factory config. Form experience, I can say that they are surprisingly tough. Jerry, my room mate, proved so by getting fall down drunk, cranking the volume to maximum, then passing out with the door locked from the inside. You can drive a lot of people nuts with L15s playing the same Styx cassette LOUD on repeat forever. I thought we'd get some relief when the tweeters blew, but they never did. Tough speakers. They also sound great converted to car speakers, sitting in the back of a Chevy Monza hatchback. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with mine.
    I don't think any mods are worth the effort. If the crossover are at least working, and the foam inside the tweeter is either removed or replaced, and the woofer foam is good, enjoy them as is.

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I went to Polaris electronics training in the Navy, (Dam Neck VA) but there were no L15s there. I did visit with a guy once back then who had L15s sitting on the floor. I thought that they were too small to be floor speakers. Still think so. I've owned two sets of L15s since then myself, but I can't help with modding them because I never thought they needed any mods. I liked them just fine in factory config. Form experience, I can say that they are surprisingly tough. Jerry, my room mate, proved so by getting fall down drunk, cranking the volume to maximum, then passing out with the door locked from the inside. You can drive a lot of people nuts with L15s playing the same Styx cassette LOUD on repeat forever. I thought we'd get some relief when the tweeters blew, but they never did. Tough speakers. They also sound great converted to car speakers, sitting in the back of a Chevy Monza hatchback. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with mine.
    I don't think any mods are worth the effort. If the crossover are at least working, and the foam inside the tweeter is either removed or replaced, and the woofer foam is good, enjoy them as is.
    I'm sorry Either I missed this or old age
    I really wanted to us as a A/B test to try and determine reality of Modding?
    Do 1 and leave other original and hear a diff, good, bad ???
    Thanks for input and Story
    So MT ?? Boomers ??
    Or Tender "PUKE" LMFAO
    Attached Images Attached Images  

https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T...t/L15%20ts.pdf

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...ket-diaphragm/

It depends on what your aim is?
    You could replace the larger crossover cap in series with the tweeters with a polypropylene type. Just remove the hit melt glue with a knife and un solder the older caps and replace. After market tweeter diaphragms are available if required.

I saw you had some Adcom amps?

The L15 is the consumer version of the 4401 as I understand it. Its' a small bookshelf loudspeaker of about 87 db efficiency. This means it will take 4x the power to reach the same volume as a 4343. So don't expect the world from it. But you are not getting the most out of your Adcom amps.

What you might eventually consider is grabbing a reasonably inexpensive active crossover and use the L15 as your mid / high array above a larger woofer from around 100 hertz. The reason is the L15 has limited output below 100 hertz but it has a clean mid range. A 12 inch woofer like this. https://reconingspeakers.com/product...ement-speaker/ or this https://reconingspeakers.com/product...er-363389-001/

Simply build a suitable vented box for the woofer and place it under the L115. Grab an Ashly active crossover off Ebay, set it up with 2nd stereo power amp and you have a project you can evolve that will give you some real bank for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    What you might eventually consider is grabbing a reasonably inexpensive active crossover and use the L15 as your mid ....
    The Speaker Safari actually scores some
    ............ (wait for it) ...................... speakers
    (and they be JBL too )

All drivers work , no refoams needed , have all grille pegs and both grilles ,
    twist lock posts looking good , cabs will need slight retouch (very slight)

And they sound really fine ..detail,detail, detail,...detail..detail...
    surprisingly good bass from little 6.5's.
    L-15 pics:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post413000

The little JBLs are fun, as for the L15s in particular, I thought they were the best in their class at the time. Times do change. Give a listen to these LSR705Is if you get a chance. The low level detail is amazing. My "office"

Name:  corner.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  120.3 KB

This is an older thread, and I'm not sure that the tech support is still needed. So OK to go way off topic?
    The younger generations have a new saying, "OK Boomer"
    It has a double meaning for me, having served aboard the Andrew Jackson. Old age is taking a lot of memory away, and I can't remember the city I was standing in when I took this picture. But check out the cool BMC bus on the pier, definitely somewhere in the UK. But not Dunoon, as the tender is tied up instead of anchored out in the firth.

Name:  tender.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  74.3 KB

PS, I was probably trying to get e picture of the Toyota at the time, I was a big car nut back then. And still.

The little JBLs are fun, as for the L15s in particular, I thought they were the best in their class at the time. Times do change. Give a listen to these LSR705Is if you get a chance. The low level detail is amazing. My "office"
    It is amazing what JBL Pro has been able to get out of their little monitors.

Nice wire management by the way.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Nice wire management by the way.

Widget
    A bite of reality. I was walking through the house ten days ago or so, trying to decide what to take out of the house and stow in the RV, in case we needed to evacuate and leave the house to the fires. My mind was well focused on the task. I left the XPL200s, the M2 clones and the SAM3s all behind, all too much weight and space. I can't even move the darn M2 clones by myself anymore. I took the LSRs and the little Anthem receiver. Had to quickly take all of the wires and wrap them up. Lots of wires, it's part of a 5.1 system. I haven't returned everything to normal yet. I'll get there. In the end, all is well, the fire never got closer than five miles or so. We breathed a lot of smoke, and sat in the dark , listened to a lot of generators, froze, and watched hero firefighters swooping enormous DC 10s and even 747s close to the ground putting that fire out. I suspect that I look ten years older now than I did last month.

A bite of reality. I suspect that I look ten years older now than I did last month.
    wow Don , glad you guys made it safely , I've lived in the SF Valley and Santa Barbara and threat of wild fires is always in the back of your mind.

Older ? My 59 y.o. wisp of a sister-in-law (Vietnamese) had a stroke about 4 months ago ... she has aged about 40 years .. was vibrant and now looks like a ghost .. grey hair and skin.

Thread Information