Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Signatures

Don,

Since the system software knows the last message one has viewed in a thread, it apparently has some smarts. Why not ask the software authors for a system mod to accept a signature in a users first post to a thread and silently reject it on further posts? It could be an option set by the admin.
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    Tried Heathers approach, and in the BBC code the bold type, colors, and what not () [] take up too much room. My single line has me at the limit with font additions.

As stated above. (NO ROOM FOR SYSTEMS)

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Drop to a single font, limit the number of COLORs you are using and put a single "B" at the beginning (and the matching "/B" at the end and that may help ... Due to the Automated CODING function of the forum formatter, my original Default code had a number of places turning Bold on and off, when actually I just wanted the whole line bold.

I can give folks some tips on trimming their sigs, if they want the help ...

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

or just drop it all together....

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    there's one sig with a graphic of a conductor waving his wand that is really getting old , multiple times in a thread,,,,, kill it.

The Altec Maestro?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well - we seem to be the only ones trying to uphold the request to trim sigs anyway -
    seems the others are gonna do what they want to do no matter what anyone here says ...

If you REALLY want to speed the forums up, dump all graphics and code anyway -
    No one needs Avatars or colored sigs ... or ANY sigs - for some folks its just a brag list of gear anyway ...

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Well seeing how this is shaking out I vote we ban them altogether ...
    Rob
    I'm a member at several forums that don't have sigs or avatars enabled....

it works & people still hang out there....

every once in awhile, people will complain about it, but it never changes.....

Let's just go back to DOS....or Apple II

That way....all the fun of using a computer will go away and so will all the problems that plague humanity through the use of the internet.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Let's just go back to DOS....or Apple II

That way....all the fun of using a computer will go away and so will all the problems that plague humanity through the use of the internet.
    The truth comes out in jest! It really does. If you stop and think about it, prior to the internet explosion, people were smarter and had to use their heads to figure things out. Now all we do is look it up online, everybody googles everything!

What the hell would we do today if the CNC computerized sawmills shut down? Anyone remember how to use an old fashioned ruler and carpenters pencil?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    The truth comes out in jest! It really does. If you stop and think about it, prior to the internet explosion, people were smarter and had to use their heads to figure things out. Now all we do is look it up online, everybody googles everything!

What the hell would we do today if the CNC computerized sawmills shut down? Anyone remember how to use an old fashioned ruler and carpenters pencil?

I think we're all just as stupid as we always were...just in different ways. The internet is just the perfect media for exposing it.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    I think we're all just as stupid as we always were...just in different ways. The internet is just the perfect media for exposing it.
    LOL, maybe!
    scottyj

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott fitlin

"I just dont understand grown adults behaving like 2nd graders in forum conversation, and I never will understand this type of behavior, either."

Well none of this would be up for discussion, or debate if two people in particular (no names mentioned) would get along, and not voice there opinions and or attitudes in their signature. So yes it has resulted in this restriction action, and we all have to suffer. And as stated above, thanx for acting like 2nd graders.
    Jeff-S1A

Obsolete
    Speculation:
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    Well none of this would be up for discussion, or debate if two people in particular (no names mentioned) would get along, and not voice there opinions and or attitudes in their signature. So yes it has resulted in this restriction action, and we all have to suffer. And as stated above, thanx for acting like 2nd graders.
    Portion of original post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    In summary, there are two issues:
    1. Long disruptive signatures;
    2. Constant repetition within threads.
    To deal with the first, I am changing the permissions to allow no more than two lines of text and no more than 125 characters for new signatures. If your existing signature exceeds this, please change it to meet the new rules or it will be deleted. To deal with the second, I would ask that you only use your signature once per thread, and certainly not more than once per thread page.
    Along with the link to the post in its entirety:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...t.php?p=173640

I guess I missed some action earlier.

Don's stated purpose is clear and, though cumbersome in implementation, easy to follow.

As for the ensuing discussion, my hope is that "let's ban it" does not become the outcome to every solution that's looking for a problem.

Everyone just ease up, and things will be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post

And in response to this:
    No comment. We've talked about this ad nauseum. Consider the source, realize the limitations and try to move on I guess.
    Yes, 100% agree. Which is why I deleted my post, and other than this one particular comment, am refraining from further posting in this thread.
    scottyj

Actually, now that you mention it, since Don is back, things are happening. GOOD things, the forum seems to be being moved and motivated in a positive direction. At least this is what I see and feel since he is back, AND I like it, too!

scottyj

Thread Information