Thread: help identifying speakers and advice about what to do with them

help identifying speakers and advice about what to do with them

I have a pair of JBL speakers inherited from my grandfather. Coming to this from a place of total ignorance about these. I am hoping someone can tell me what they are, approximate value and the best place to try to sell them. I have been told c-38s by one person and c-35 by someone else. Condition wise, they appear to be in pretty good shape, with some scratches and water marks on the top and a chip in the front face. Inside there are N2600 in each, with one tweeter 075 and one tweeter 175, woofer d130 in both. I have not used them in a few years but they worked great when I did. They are sentimental to me but just don't use them and would like them to find a home where they are appreciated. I have never sold anything on ebay and the prices seem all over the place. Thanks for any advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawaiian View Post
    I have a pair of JBL speakers inherited from my grandfather. Coming to this from a place of total ignorance about these. I am hoping someone can tell me what they are, approximate value and the best place to try to sell them. I have been told c-38s by one person and c-35 by someone else. Condition wise, they appear to be in pretty good shape, with some scratches and water marks on the top and a chip in the front face. Inside there are N2600 in each, with one tweeter 075 and one tweeter 175, woofer d130 in both. I have not used them in a few years but they worked great when I did. They are sentimental to me but just don't use them and would like them to find a home where they are appreciated. I have never sold anything on ebay and the prices seem all over the place. Thanks for any advice!

They are C37's, which is the C35 in the horizontal posture.

Some photos of the backs and insides would help with identifying them as factory boxes (or not).

Being nosy, what is that cabinet in the middle, and what is in it?
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

inside pics

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    They are C37's, which is the C35 in the horizontal posture.

Some photos of the backs and insides would help with identifying them as factory boxes (or not).

Being nosy, what is that cabinet in the middle, and what is in it?
    Thanks for the prompt reply! Some more photos of the inside if helpful. I do not have a photo with the back covers on at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

They'd be appreciated at my house!

I have the C37 cabinet as well as the C35. These are definitely C37. But I don't see either the 075 or 175 in the open-back photo??
    To properly utilize the 175, you'd have to have an N1200 crossover, in addition to the N2600 for the 075, and I don't see two crossovers. It's possible the 175s were just added without the network but I can't tell from the pics how they were wired. Cabinets appear to be a mis-matched pair which is typical of the era when most were single mono units paired up later in life.

I've had the C37 with both the wooden and aluminum legs. They're worth much more with aluminum, but they sound the same!

Hope you can solve the mystery of how the 175s are integrated into the system. Good luck with them. No chance of you keeping them? One of my was my father's. I found another and have had the pair for over 45-years now!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I think what is being represented is a pair of two-way systems. One with 075, one with 175.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I think what is being represented is a pair of two-way systems. One with 075, one with 175.
    That would explain why the darker cabinet shows no aluminum dust-dome. It likely has a 130A, 175, and an N1200 crossover. So truly a mis-matched "pair".
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

If you wish to sell them and don't want to ship them anywhere, best to advertise here in Marketplace or use your local Craigslist with local pickup only. Price will depend on if everything is working properly or not.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Thread Information