Page 185 of 721 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285685 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 10810

Thread: What's Playing Now

Eric Clapton - Eric Clapton At His Best
    (1972, Polydor) STERLING RL in the deadwax; mastered by Robert Ludwig at Sterling Sound

I needed to hear more EC after that last record, when I was wishing that Black Summer Rain would never stop. a 2 LP compilation here with tracks from early solo work including Blind Faith, "Eric Clapton", and Derek and The Dominos. listening to sides 1/2. with lots of heavy hitters including Stephen Stills, Duane Allman, Steve Winwood, and the others from BF and D&theD's.
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

David Bromberg - self titled
    (1971, Columbia)

w/ George Harrison (who co-wrote one song here), John Hartford, Vassar Clements, Norman Blake, Randy Scruggs. A $1 thrift find this week.

I've revisited Brewer & Shipley's TARKIO a couple of times recently (still looking for it on vinyl)

Besides the 2 hits of "One Toke Over the Line" and "Tarkio Road" , there are some overlooked gems with "Don't Want to Die in Georgia" , "Seems Like a Long Time" and "Fifty States of Freedom" ...well worth tracking down ...I keep finding myself singing along to "Seems like..." , and that rarely , (a bonus for mankind) happens.

Also the 11:45 pop masterpiece "Papa was a rolling stone" by the Temptations ( no, not by Keith Richard's son) ...its a forgotten wonder

Oh yeah, also the remastered "Strange Days" ..by Jim & crew.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Jimi Hendrix - West Coast Seattle Boy / The Jimi Hendrix Anthology
    (2010, Experience Hendrix) STERLING RJ in the deadwax; mastered by Ray Janos, Sterling Sound

Disk 4 with w/ some killer previously unreleased tracks recorded Oct 1968, a couple of months after completing Electric Ladyland including Calling All The Devil's Children and Here My Freedom, which includes an unknown organist playing with JHE, believed to be Lee Michaels. Also mentions that a lot of Jimi's friends and acquaintances were in the studio sessions including Stephen Stills and Sonny Bono. First record on my new turntable, took dellivery this afternoon after having the cartridge installed by the audio pros. Sounds f'ing fantastic! (Rega P3-24 + Benz Ace cartridge + Herbies Mat)

The Doors - self titled
    (1967, Elektra) Stereo, brown label first pressing

breaking out a favorite for the new TT. wide and deep soundstage spread across the room on this one, "Soul Kitchen" fills the room with keyboards, guitar, drums, & Jim Morrison's vocals.

Lou Reed - self titled
    (1972, RCA)

debut solo LP with Yesmen Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman, and John Cale.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    Sounds f'ing fantastic! (Rega P3-24 + Benz Ace cartridge + Herbies Mat)
    HPB ??

I'm so old and shaky that gotta have an auto ... never heard the supposed diff 'tween auto/manual or belt/DD

picked up some BG's a bit back and actually like them , so was pleased to get both these doubles + Moby Grape for $1.5 total
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Captain Beefheart - The Spotlight Kid
    (1972, Reprise)

on the back cover:
    The stars are matter
    We're matter
    But it doesn't matter
    - Don Van Vliet

R.I.P. Captain Beefheart

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    HPB ??

I'm so old and shaky that gotta have an auto ... never heard the supposed diff 'tween auto/manual or belt/DD
    I hear you; I am missing the auto shut-off on the Thorens, but I'll live with it because this new setup is incredible. I am pretty sure that with an A/B you would hear the what this TT + cartridge is doing for the soundstage and tightened, extended low frequency output on the JBL 4430s. The Benz Micro Ace is an MC cartridge made in Switzerland. I wanted to put one on the Thorens TD-145 Mk II but the headshell would not support it without mods. Here's a picture of the Benz Ace, I saved a bit by not getting the latest model...

HPB = Half Price Books

Earlier...

Focus - Live At The Rainbow
    (1973, Sire) STERLING RL in the deadwax; mastered by Robert Ludwig at Sterling Sound

recorded at the Rainbow Theatre, London, May 1973. of course it includes Hocus Pocus near the end of the set on side 2. I grabbed this yesterday for a couple of bucks at HPB.

Now...

Jimi Hendrix - West Coast Seattle Boy / The Jimi Hendrix Anthology
    (2010, Experience Hendrix) STERLING RJ in the deadwax; mastered by Ray Janos, Sterling Sound

record #5 with live April '69 recordings at the Forum in LA of the Star Spangled Banner/Purple Haze and another unreleased track from the Oct '68 sessions titled "Messenger". Side 2 is 20+ minutes of an April '69 jam session at the Record Plant studio in NYC with jazz organist Larry Young who played with Grant Green, John McLaughlin, and contributed to the Miles Davis Bitches Brew recording later in 1969.

Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
    (1975, Virgin)

Shifting gears to some Edgar Froese german electronic ambient music after the scorching Young/Hendrix jam session. Live album recorded in France and Britain. Lots of sequencers and synths create a dense ambient soundscape. I think I acquired this in a big collection in the last few years, I discovered it recently in the basement storage.

Laurindo Almeida - A Man And A Woman
    (1967, Capitol)

Freddie Hubbard - Backlash
    (1966, Atlantic)

The first of three records that the trumpeter did for Atlantic, Allmusic says this set falls between hard bop and the avant-garde. I can dig it. Albert Dailey on Piano. gatefold cover.

Thelonious Monk - It's Monk's Time
    (1964, Columbia) Mono WLP

I heard an NPR interview this morning with a Monk biographer with interesting stories.

Jeff Beck - Truth
    (1968, Epic)

Hard rock and blues. w/ guests Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Keith Moon, Nicky Hopkins.

Thread Information