Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Rack Suggestions

Audio Rack Suggestions

Hi Guys,
    I am in the process of moving my office into the basement, and I need to figure out some way of setting up my gear other than stacking it on my work surface
    I know I've seen some very nice solutions here & thought maybe you could suggest some options. This is an informal "office" so it doesnt have to be too fancy, budget is probably $300.00 but preferably less. Out of desperation I was going to go to ikea & see what they had, I would almost rather build something myself, time is at a premium now though so that would be a last resort. I need it to house about 7 components, aproximately & possibly having a TT on top.

Thanks in advance.

Name:  Audio Rack 008.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  87.7 KBName:  Audio Rack 011.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  82.8 KB

Audio Rack is to go in that corner next to the left speaker, not sure how it will be oriented, depends on rack selected etc.
    The 4430's may not stay there (may put 4313B's in there), I have to see how it all sounds once set up but the speakers will be at that exact location, regardless of which model I go with. The right speaker may be moved over a bit to the right but not too much otherwise it'll be directed at the side of my office cabinets. They may also need to be raised a bit, I'tll be tricky with the 4430's, the speaker footprint is the same size as the depth of the hearth which makes it a little tight (wires in back).

(Baby clothes are ready to go & no, the fireplace will not be roaring when the speakers are there.)
    Just Play Music.

This one I saw here and is one of our members I believe (excuse me in advance for using the picture, always liked the setup, the gear looks great in it) this style of rack would be ideal and basically the same number of openings that I need.
    Does anyone know who this rig belongs to?

Name:  dscf0954xt6[1].jpg
Views: 704
Size:  68.7 KB
    Just Play Music.

Cheap and infinitely adjustable. Around $30 for the left stack

That would do the trick, plenty ventilated, cant beat the price either, I like the fact that its on wheels, very handy.
    These your design, I know you do a lot of work with metal.
    Just Play Music.

^^^^ Made in China and dirt cheap. Most likely available from suppliers such as Home Depot or Walfart. Yes the wheels are very practical. I bought then separately. That type of rack is great for its infinite adjustability and expandability, and superb for air circulation too. You can even dress them up by fitting some nice wood bases on each shelf.

Thanks Lee, with these things you can really go crazy, I've seen some really crappy looking ones going for stupid money.

Just Play Music.

Hey Krunchy.

You may want to buy two sets and build the rack to the height you want. Posts are in two pieces. So you can extend them to your needs.

Here's an exemple of cheap units.
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ed-_-Furniture

If you want something even sturdier and from the riginal wire sghelving creators, look at Metro's catalog. I used to have walls of them as they are industrial restaurant equipment. Available in all sizes.

http://www.metro.com/commercial/shelving/wire/

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    ^^^^ Made in China and dirt cheap. Most likely available from suppliers such as Home Depot or Walfart. Yes the wheels are very practical. I bought then separately. That type of rack is great for its infinite adjustability and expandability, and superb for air circulation too. You can even dress them up by fitting some nice wood bases on each shelf.
    Yep - I got maybe 8 boxes of them from Home Depot a couple years back, stacked them up in my shed for plastic storage crates (books, Christmas stuff, etc)
    Found I could pair them up & use common middle risers for 3-4 shelves wide sets. You could certainly use a linked pair of them (6 risers) for a nice, dual width audio rack. You just can't put shelves side by side when you do it that way.

If you think you'll go that route, I highly recommend you buy 2 boxes at once -
    Home depot swapped vendors at one point and the new manufacturer's system
    is somewhat different and not interchangeable with the older sets.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yep - I got maybe 8 boxes of them from Home Depot a couple years back, stacked them up in my shed for plastic storage crates (books, Christmas stuff, etc)
    Found I could pair them up & use common middle risers for 3-4 shelves wide sets. You could certainly use a linked pair of them (6 risers) for a nice, dual width audio rack. You just can't put shelves side by side when you do it that way.

If you think you'll go that route, I highly recommend you buy 2 boxes at once -
    Home depot swapped vendors at one point and the new manufacturer's system
    is somewhat different and not interchangeable with the older sets

Thanks Guys!
    Hopefully I will get a chance to swing by the depot next week & check them out. I know home depot will drop vendors and add new ones to suit their needs.

Just Play Music.

Metal and Wood

Here is a picture of a temporary setup. Two racks from metal, bolted together, 30 mm plywood on top and below, recessed wheels in the plywood bottom.

Ruediger
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice job

A little creativity and elbow grease goes a long way.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    Here is a picture of a temporary setup. Two racks from metal, bolted together, 30 mm plywood on top and below, recessed wheels in the plywood bottom.

Ruediger
    Thanks Ruediger, that looks pretty cool!

I went to the depot yesterday to look for the metal racks but they did not have those there, they had another that would have been great (all chrome) but they were much wider than I needed (4'wide) and close to $70 a piece and only 3 shelves.

I may go the DIY route after all ?. I got some panes of glass (either 1/4" or 3/8") that were here when I moved in, Im going to put 4 wooden blocks under one of them and throw the pioneer sx1250 on it and see what happens If it can handle the weight of that that it will handle everything else I have. Should be interesting.

Thanks again guys!
    Just Play Music.

FWIW, if you have "Target" stores in the area, they carry the inexpensive metal frame
    shelves referred to earlier in the thread, e.g.:

http://www.target.com/p/Room-Essenti...i_detailbutton

... probably Walmart too.

Thanks Grumpy, I'll keep that in mind, the closest target is a good 40 miles from me door, but I think there is a walmart closer.
    The search continues!
    Just Play Music.

Fred ...when I needed one, we went to GW salvage ....they have
    8-10 racks/cabinets at any given time ..most were $7-15 .. the majority being
    oak veneered home entertainment cabinets , but there are some of higher quality.

I bought a tambour doored one big enough ( 5 ft. wide) to hold everything, with glass
    doors too ..on castors for $5

here's an old pic with gear past (much of it is gone) , gone also is all the crap on top
    -replaced with just a DAC , laptop and TT.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information