Thread: What Wood Protectants do you like and reccomend?

What Wood Protectants do you like and reccomend?

This is in regards to the Speakers which have walnut veneered cabinets. Many of your vintage L Models, 4300, 4400 Series, etc.

I've used such as Old English in a fix, Howards Feed&Wax and Restore a Finish, and probably decades ago have tried some paste waxes on my Jubals. I've probably tried countless others, Minwax, and others as well, forget many of the names offhand at this moment.

I note some of the liquids like Howards look great after applying, but then dull quickly, which is probably due to drying and being absorbed.

I think I've read some don't recommend Pastes.

43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Yes, I think I have read this, probably many long years ago.

When I first received my JBL 4430 Sudio Monitors from a seller who meticulously shipped them from Iowa to the Desert Southwest where I was then living, I immediately noticed one discrepancy in the finish of one speaker Cabinet.

The seller, (Tom Tatman-Catamount Studio) although he owned a magnificent Studio claimed this pair was never used in a Studio but in a company's conference room, hence the changing of the original Blue Grillcloth to a non original but attractive Silver-Grey Cloth to match room decor. (I did eventually change them back to the original dark blue JBL cloth, gotten from Zilch years ago right here)

But I noticed one half of one side of a cabinet appeared much lighter, and guessed it was due to the Sun's UV bleaching and lightening the finish.

That the speakers evidently sat near some window for an extended period of time.

Old English Dark Oil Stain was used, and after a couple coats to this lighter area by blending, then treating both cabinets fully, they regained their beautiful dark walnut glow. The cabinets to this pair are immaculate as far as no dings or scratches it should be noted otherwise.

I was reluctant to try a specific dedicated stain thinking that I'd possibly get unknown undesirable results and somehow alter the way the cabinets were supposed to look from the factory. I was pleased and satisfied with the end results.

I would think an OTC product like Howards Feed and Wax wouldn't be harmful to the finish. Oils. There's so many, orange, lemon, linseed, mineral, waxes, beeswax, carnauba, montan, on and on.

I think what I might concoct in a kitchen sink ala mad scientist might be questionable.

Howards F&W claims to have Carnauba Wax in it, but it doesn't seem like a product that seals the pores of the wood like maybe some hard pastes might.

So far, by using only this after my little staining-blending escapade with Old English, all seems to look OK.

I figure better to use something like this, rather than nothing at all and let the wood dry out.

I of course always take the grills off, and to be careful around baffles, and such as the Horns on the 4430 not to get any such products on them.

I'm so tired of treating my L100T cabinets-- definitely a low point for Northridge cabinet making quality.
    I used 100% mink oil last round and it worked nicely for luster, moisturizing, and long lasting.

I'm definitely "worn out" over babying the poor, lifted veneer (edges).
    In contrast my pristine L46 cabinets look beautiful and as new. The veneer and QC from early '80s is superior to their late '80s technique.

(original owner)

Quote Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
    I'm so tired of treating my L100T cabinets-- definitely a low point for Northridge cabinet making quality.
    I used 100% mink oil last round and it worked nicely for luster, moisturizing, and long lasting.

I'm definitely "worn out" over babying the poor, lifted veneer (edges).
    In contrast my pristine L46 cabinets look beautiful and as new. The veneer and QC from early '80s is superior to their late '80s technique.

(original owner)
    L100T = "Spaghetti wood."

You might try using Watco as it contains polymers that will harden and seal things up. Use at your own discretion.

The older, better cabs should get the JBL treatment. I've used Howards F&W on lots of wood products and never found it to be an issue with wax buildup. I believe it's actually beeswax and orange oil. I have some custom built quarter sawn red oak tables that still look amazing after 16+ years of oiling them with steel wool and Howards.

Can you add any related pics please?

Thread Information