Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supply of OEM 2405 diaphragms rare?

Supply of OEM 2405 diaphragms rare?

I have an old pair of 2405 slots that I just bought and that have been used in pro SR.

Are there plenty of JBL OEM diaphragms for these drivers or are they now getting more scarce?

I assume JBL will no longer make these as a result of their decision to no longer cater to the vintage community; right?

My drivers have OEM frams and they work, but I assume they have been hammered a ton.

Attitude isn't helping your case, or anyone else's here.
    If you're worried, buy some.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I have an old pair of 2405 slots that I just bought and that have been used in pro SR.

Are there plenty of JBL OEM diaphragms for these drivers or are they now getting more scarce?

I assume JBL will no longer make these as a result of their decision to no longer cater to the vintage community; right?

My drivers have OEM frams and they work, but I assume they have been hammered a ton.

I suppose my real question is whether it is likely people will start to hord remaining OEM parts and drive up prices or are the existing inventories reasonably high such that parts will be around for a couple of years or more?

The factory decision is unfortunate but I assume when supplies get tight the prices will escalate sharply. I'm just trying to estimate what is likely in the near future.

Hey, thinks can change. GM re-introduced the Camaro so maybe in a few years the fatory will again crank out the old parts. I'm reasonably certain the tooling is not going anywhere soon.

GM re-introduced the Camaro so maybe in a few years the fatory will again crank out the old parts.
    Good thought. Now try fitting any part from a 2010 Camaro to a vintage model and get back to us.

Many others do provide vintage OE-spec parts for collectible cars. But then there's a demand and a profit to be taken for filling that demand. And the good stuff ain't cheap.

I bought a pair of D16R2405 from OCS a couple of months ago, and then bought a NIB pair of 2405H drivers off an estate sale linked from here for $20 more each than the diaphragms cost.

If you are willing to drop coin, the parts are still there.

I assume JBL will no longer make these as a result of their decision to no longer cater to the vintage community; right
    Robert

Did I miss something here?

What information can you share with us that for the basis of this statement.

Thanks,Oldmics

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ment+parts+OEM

There are several threads here discussing Harmon's decision on this. I'm not sure if this new policy applies to both vintage re-cone kits and diaphragms but I assume it does.

...not trying to stir the pot, but just looking for advice on how to keep my favorite tweets running clean.

Obsolete
    ...not trying to stir the pot, but just looking for advice on how to keep my favorite tweets running clean.
    Buy a couple replacement diaphragms?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Buy a couple replacement diaphragms?
    +1
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Good thought. Now try fitting any part from a 2010 Camaro to a vintage model and get back to us.
    Hmmmmm ... I once was ASE certified, but I never did try to just bolt on a stock later gen part to an older vehicle. I did have a few "conversations" with guys who thought that any water pump that was ever attached to a 350 would fit any other 350 (even if there was that pesky 30 year age difference) but I would just get out the 6 or so differently configured parts and let them choose the one they wanted ... man, those guys who happened to pick the marine version were pissed when they brought them back in to return them !!! Of course, nothing quite tops the guy who wanted a tune-up kit for his Cummins diesel and got shitty with me when I tried to explain that - while yes I could sell him some spark plugs if he really wanted them - I sure as hell didn't know where he was going to put them in his motor...

Good to know that I can still just go out and buy any Mustang part for my nearly 20 year old model!!!

I bought a pair of slot OEM frames about 8 or 10 months ago. Today, I checked a few prices of the same "make and model" from different vendors and, based on my calculations, they are up in price approximately 15%

I assume this price escalation will continue for the foreseable future.

I don't think After market is a bad thing...

There are plenty of after market parts out for the 24xx series UHF drivers.
    While I don't know how they sound in real life conditions (that's the only thing that matters to me) I have had great results using AM replacement diaphragms on 2241 drivers. I used to by these at $30. a crack as opposed to the outrageous JBL price of $200. CND. And that was 15-20 years ago!
    We get ripped off in Canada. When it comes down to making a living at it-- why not.

p.s. the quality of this particular cone kit was excellent and I could hear no sonic difference, but I would imagine higher frequency units may be more susceptible to audible differences.

My experience with aftermarket frams is poor. One Altec 902 and one JBL 2425 I purchased on Fleabay both had aftermarket units.

Both sounded horrible! I replaced each with an OEM unit (GPA for Altec) and they now sound great.

Consequently, I will buy only OEM unless not available.

Cool Think Schrader

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Hmmmmm ... I once was ASE certified, but I never did try to just bolt on a stock later gen part to an older vehicle. I did have a few "conversations" with guys who thought that any water pump that was ever attached to a 350 would fit any other 350 (even if there was that pesky 30 year age difference) but I would just get out the 6 or so differently configured parts and let them choose the one they wanted ... man, those guys who happened to pick the marine version were pissed when they brought them back in to return them !!! Of course, nothing quite tops the guy who wanted a tune-up kit for his Cummins diesel and got shitty with me when I tried to explain that - while yes I could sell him some spark plugs if he really wanted them - I sure as hell didn't know where he was going to put them in his motor...

Good to know that I can still just go out and buy any Mustang part for my nearly 20 year old model!!!
    There IS one part that will fit, in fact it fits ANY auto, no matter the age, well, since 1905 or so.

On the aftermarket 'phragms, I agree, best to be avoided. There is one Aluminium copy of the 2405 'phragm that soundx OK, NOT as good as the original, but better than the rest of the copies.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    There IS one part that will fit, in fact it fits ANY auto, no matter the age, well, since 1905 or so.
    And even quite a few bicycles!

Thread Information