Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4612 Ok

rcmoto

Jbl 4612 Ok

First off, this is my first post, so Hi to all. I asked a question on another forum and someone was kind enough to direct me here.

I am going to purchase a set of JBL 4612 OK for $ 200.00. They were used in a church. Is this a smart buy?

I really want to set them up in my garage and play music thru them. Specifically, I will be using an older Pro Logic receiver with these speakers as in 2 channel music. Maybe I can add an amp later, I will have to see if my receiver allows that. My old receiver is 100 watts.

I will be playing my drums to the music as that is how I practice my drumming. I just play to the songs I like, so I need something clear and loud.

Will these speakers give me that?

Thanks

RIP 2009
    $200 is a great price for a pair of 4612OK - I have a pair myself. The components alone would fetch far more than that. The 2404H "baby-cheeks" are much desired by many for HF.

You won't get much in the way of lows out of those - for much higher fidelity you'd want to add a sub, but if they're just for playing along with drums in a garage, they should be OK. They're capable of playing quite loud with decent amplification. BTW - they're the wood-finish version of the 4612 series of Cabaret speakers, only without the HF attenuator of the Cabaret versions.

John

Jbl 4612

Hello,
    Welcome to the site! I am new here myself, and sound reinforcement isn't really my area. But, here is a link from from the JBL pro site that may be of some help to you on this model:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Cabaret_Series1.pdf

For the JBL pro site's home page, visit http://www.jblpro.com .

Keep checking the site here, there are a lot of great guys here who are quite knowledgeable and I'm sure you can find answers to your questions...

Good luck!!

Best regards,

Peter Makres

Edit: Looks like johnaec has already responded...I didn't realize the "OK" was actually part of the model number. Hope the brochure from the Cabaret line helps just the same...Peter

RIP 2009

rcmoto
    Great info, thanks. I am guessing now that my little 100 watt receiver is a little under powered for these things. I guess I will go ahead and go thru with buying these speakers. I have a JBL G Sub (80 watts, not the biggest, but it can kick some bass out) that ought to match pretty good with these.

I guess my next step will be an amp.

Thanks again, I am looking forward to hooking these babies up.

RIP 2009
    Go ahead and try them with your reciever - you may be pleasantly surprised.

John

rcmoto
    I will be purchasing these speakers next week. I am excited now to see what these things souns like. Thanks for the info on them, what we ever do with out this thing called the Internet?

100 watts should be PLENTY for a pair of 4612s... especially if you biamp with a sub. They're effectively like, 97 dB sensitivity, down to about 70 Hz. I've owned a pair of the black version (plain 4612, not the OK), and they will get QUITE LOUD on even 80w/ch, from 75 Hz and up.

Mine are now in the use of an organization I work with, and will be running on about 150 or 200w/ch (either an Onkyo M501 or a QSC 1400), paired with a pair of 15" Eminence subwoofers running on a JBL 6260 amp (300w/ch into the 4 ohm loads), with an active crossover splitting them at about 80 Hz or so. Should be quite clean, and capable of filling a hotel ballroom readily!

Regards,
    Gordon.

rcmoto
    What is the difference between 4612 and the 4612OK? I will be using a powered sub lfe from receiver. I cant wait to hear these things. Man, I am really wanting an amp, I just have never used one, let alone hook one up. I will be looking for some friendly amps to add soon.

RIP 2009
    The 4612 has a black vinyl covered cabinet and a level control for the HF horn, with a grill that only covers the two 8" speakers, while the 4612OK has a woodgrain vinyl covered cabinet and no HF level control, and the grill covers the whole front - other than that, they are the same.

John

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmoto
    What is the difference between 4612 and the 4612OK? I will be using a powered sub lfe from receiver. I cant wait to hear these things. Man, I am really wanting an amp, I just have never used one, let alone hook one up. I will be looking for some friendly amps to add soon.
    Adding to John's response, the 4612 is designed for mobile gigs, etc. The 4612OK is designed for permanent installs. I am a HUGE fan of the 4612 and the entire Cabaret series. You're right on using a subwoofer with the 4612's! I'm sure you will enjoy the setup.

rcmoto
    I just got my 4612 OK yesterday and had a chance to listen, and all I can say is HOLY MONKEY!!! Man I like what I heard. I havent had a chance to really critique (sp) them, but I am not really out to conquer the audio world. I had the JBL Northridge ND 30 II towers hooked to Harman Kardon AVR 20 11. Its an older pro logic receiver. I only have the two front speakers hooked up, no rears or center. I moved the towers out of the way and hooked the 4612's up and man, what a difference. I also had my powered sub hooked up.

I wouldnt of bought these things if I hadnt found this forum. I have had them on lay away since I started this thread, thats why I havent commented on them yet.

I was thinking about getting an external amp but I dont think I will now. These things are clear and loud. My neighbor came over for a short period and he said crank em, lets see what they got. After 5 seconds of high volume (not over doing it) he said his ears were fixing to bleed. He was wowed too.

You guys were right on, speakers are great and the powered sub blends perfectly. mmmmuuuuuhaaaaa

Thanks

HEY! Yer supposed to be usin' these in the GARAGE!

rcmoto
    haha........... I dunno man, I may have to look around and find some more.

I will have my eyebrows lifted, looking for some of these older babies. Or, maybe some even better, I would rival that other cheap "sumbitch" as he said in his thread. (Dont remember who right now).

I found these in a pawn shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    HEY! Yer supposed to be usin' these in the GARAGE!

Seem like surrounds, to me! Hoping to hear back on a pair of these soon....

Thread Information