Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repainting Piano Black.

Thanks Junior JBL.

As for spray gun, I bought a DeVibiss SRI Minigun a few years ago and really like it so will be using it for this job.

I've done quiet a bit of reading so far and am ready to proceed. Lots of practive before hand.

The issue I have now is the spraying area (my 2-car garage); It's packed and very dusty from saw dust resulting of my recent project DIY audio rack that I just finished. I didn't have this many stuffs in the garage a few years ago so it was easy to cover up every with a big sheet of plastic.

So spraying is going to an easy part of this project. Preparing / making temporary paint booth is going to be a big challenge plus the temperature is dropping in the past few days so I'll have to get this done really soon. Wish I have more space.

I am planning to first get the filler work done on the damaged areas and sand the rest with 600grit dry sand paper then work on buillding the booth (with PVC pipes and cover the frame with large plastic bag). I have to get the spraying done in one day since I have no parking space for my cars on the street so have to properly plan this activity.

Question for those who have painted or repainted speaker boxes, Did you use wet or dry sand papers? With wet, I am concerned about the bottom of the speakers since they're untreated so don't want the MDF to be soaked with water. I plan to use dry sand papers for this reason.

As for the paint, I think I'll be using BC/CC Nason.

Thanks to all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Go for it!!

Get a gun (I use a SATAJet NR95 HVLP for most of my projects) and lots practice.

Learn to watch your finish as you lay it down. This is how you get the best finish.
    Auto type finishes normaly get atomized very fine and then when spraying make sure the little dots of paint are "blending" kind of like water drops connecting themselves. It will be just shy of "running" and then don't touch!! Just wait the aloted amount of time before the next step!!

As Widget said above read as there is lots of info out there!
    Have fun!

You need Wet between top coats. Dry is fine for scuff sanding in the basecoats. It dosen't matter which materials to use as long as you are familiar with the procedures on each. Good Luck to you!

Thanks Audiobeer for the tip. I'll keep that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    You need Wet between top coats. Dry is fine for scuff sanding in the basecoats. It dosen't matter which materials to use as long as you are familiar with the procedures on each. Good Luck to you!

I use a spray bottle to keep the water to a minimum. I also use a different sanding system but the key is to keep the sanding dust out of your way and keep your surface clean.
    Keep the water away from screw holes and such otherwise you will get swelling in the wood.

Hang some sheets in your garage and wet them to keep dust down when you are spraying.

I polish with good quality compound and a very fine sponge on my polisher. You may start polishing with a sheepskin pad and a coarse finishing compound.
    This will give you that "Mirror" finish provided you have good base coats!

BTW I think it is fun when you get to "See" what you have done!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Get a gun (I use a SATAJet NR95 HVLP for most of my projects) and lots practice.
    Really? I use the same gun... and a DeVilbiss air dryer. Moisture in the compressed air can be a real problem.

I always wet sand... and as for your description of spraying the finish... good description. I try to put it on to the point just before it'll want to run or sag. Basically you need to screw up a few coats to really get a handle on spraying a new material.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Really? I use the same gun... and a DeVilbiss air dryer. Moisture in the compressed air can be a real problem.

I always wet sand... and as for your description of spraying the finish... good description. I try to put it on to the point just before it'll want to run or sag. Basically you need to screw up a few coats to really get a handle on spraying a new material.

Widget

I just use a waterball, but up here in Colorado moisture is rarely a problem. The gun is tried and true for sure!!

You are right, Juuuuuuust before it sags!! and it will sag more than once!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information