Thread: yamaha preamp question

yamaha preamp question

First off, I don't know if I am allowed to ask non Lansing tech questions, if so, I apologize in advance.
    I was wondering if any one has any experience with Yamaha C-4 preamp?

That's a fine question and you posed it in the right area... I have used other Yamaha electronics, but can't help you here... I don't know anything about the C-4.

Are you considering the purchase of one?

Widget

If you like Yamaha, you might compare to C-85 while you're looking... -grumpy

I have a C-65 and I'm happy with it after 20 years. The old Yamaha was well made and had thoughtful designs. I like the variable loudness control and dual phono inputs.

Excellent bang for the buck - can't go wrong with an old Yamaha pre. The C-4 has a ton of connectivity options going way beyond most pre's (3 switchable turtable inputs with front-panel cartridge loading adjustment for example, and that's just the beginning).

The "less is more" pre crowd would probably shun it, but it will likely not be the weak link in any system until you spend serious cash on everything else.

But don't take my word for it - buy the one on the bay now and tell us how you like it . You can always sell it later and try something else....

jblnut

The C4 was fairly good in it's time, but today you can get a lot better stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    The C4 was fairly good in it's time, but today you can get a lot better stuff.

For $150-$250 (the current price of a decent used Yamaha pre) ? I don't think so....

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    For $150-$250 (the current price of a decent used Yamaha pre) ? I don't think so....

jblnut
    No, but I thought we talked about what is good today. Sorry.

majick47

Yamaha C4 Preamp

I'll agree with JBLNUT re the older Yamaha preamps, hard to go wrong for the money. A C80 preamp just sold on Ebay for around $75 plus shipping. The C70 and C85 are an excellent choice also. The early C2A and C2X were big bucks in their day and still command up to $500. I have a CX-800U in my second system and it sounds/functions excellent. You would have to spend a considerable amount more for something new to better most of the older "natural sound" Yamaha preamps which have a slightly warm to neutral sound signiture with no background noise. Most will have more than adequate inputs/outputs and MM/MC phono with numerous values. Build quality is substantial and they are no lightweights. My CX-800U can bypass the tone controls and I go direct for phono, cd etc. You can better the C4 by choosing any of the preamps I mentioned without spending anything near to a new current preamp.

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by bone215 View Post
    First off, I don't know if I am allowed to ask non Lansing tech questions, if so, I apologize in advance.
    I was wondering if any one has any experience with Yamaha C-4 preamp?

Your in the right place / Yamaha made one fine pre-amp in the 70's and the C-4 should be no different. Are you wanting to buy one, or do you already own one? Keep us informed, we'd love to see some pictures!

Thread Information