Thread: High frequency drivers

High frequency drivers

Hello All,
    I am new to vintage speakers. I have a set of Hartley msg 220 which I love the sound of for vocals.
    I am finding I am not getting enough top end with the two tweeters that are paired with them.
    Is there a way in which I could use compression drivers 2440 or 2441 for upper mids and highs without losing the sweet vocals from the Hartleys?
    How can I pair very efficient compression drivers with inefficient Hartlys without drowning them. The one I connect seems to taas the seem to take over the Hartleys. them?

Yoshi Segoshi paired the Hartley 220 MSG with the Aurum Cantus G2. Have you tried that?
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Yoshi Segoshi paired the Hartley 220 MSG with the Aurum Cantus G2. Have you tried that?
    I have not as I have 2440 and thought there maybe a way to use them.
    I could go down that path.

OIC.

No harm in running some wires to them, then, but what would your frequency response and dispersion be?

You could take the backs off and run them as domes--seriously; it's been done.

If you have the original diaphragms (lucky you!), they don't go much past 9k, though.

i recently sold my second pair of 220's. I liked them, as much as I liked them at all-- and I did like them--alone. So near, yet so far. If I had the space I would have kept them around for that particular mood--small ensemble, Keats, sherry, roses espaliered along a stone wall, my chest hairs weaving themselves into a Harris tweed. They require quite a bit of real estate, though, too much for occasional use. The biggest shortcoming for me was dynamics; they remind me of Beethoven exhausting the dynamics of a string quartet to express angst. Doesn't really work for me.

And difference in dynamics and efficiency is the problem I see with your idea. You have to fight those things in the 2440 which cost all that money.

The thing is, it's easy to get better bass; there are many paths to a good midrange or high frequencies. You just have to accept at least one crossover point and one additional acoustic center. Of course, you do get that when you start supporting the frequency extremes around a full range driver.

A full range driver is an attractive idea, and a good one has its points. I've come to the conclusion they can only do so much; if I want something more, I think I need to take another approach.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Hello SD,
    Thank you so much for throwing ideas my way.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to suggests things for me to try.
    I tried the 2440, it is a great driver however I lost all the mids and sweetness from the Hartley. I gained some detail and higher frequency so I connect it to a crossover I had laying about. I do not know what the parameters are for this crossover but thought it may give me an idea. I turned the high frequency down I could match it with the Hartley yet not the ideal situation to have.
    I will have to venture down other paths to find detail and higher frequency as the JBL compression drives are too efficient for the Hartley. So much to learn.

Thread Information