Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec & TAD drivers

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy.edwards1 View Post
    on a more practical level, does anyone know if the share the same mounting dimensions?
    looks to me like they have a different diameter for the bolt holes?

tom
    i've installed 1601As in an 825/828 homebrew box that used to house 515Bs...

i've been told that it helps to add a cork gasket or something, between the driver face and the rear of the baffle -- to keep the cone from slapping the cabinet... if you drive them hard...

i've not experienced this issue personally, even though I did not have the gasket installed when I had the 825s in the house.... but i did not listen at crazy levels either...

> Here's one of Scott's older posts where he compares the sound of his TAD 1603s ( in his midbass cabinets / which were 815, 816 & even 817s , I think ) to other brands of speakers .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    > Here's one of Scott's older posts where he compares the sound of his TAD 1603s ( in his midbass cabinets / which were 815, 816 & even 817s , I think ) to other brands of speakers .

Thanks Earl... though it is saddening. I remember getting phone calls from Scott at all hours after one of his change outs, he was so enthusiastic, it was contagious. Truly missed.

Widget

Thanks Earl... though it is saddening. I remember getting phone calls from Scott at all hours after one of his change outs, he was so enthusiastic, it was contagious. Truly missed.

Your Welcome

I too miss Scott along with his all contributions to this forum .

He was in a truly unique position in having a large horn loaded commercial system that he was very intimate with . Reading his impressions of the equipment change-outs was always interesting ( for a live guy , such as myself ). He said a few things in these areas ( the details long lost in my memory ) that let me know we were really on the same page . I regret never getting to his place . Yes, he is really missed .

<> EarlK

sure enough...

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    i've installed 1601As in an 825/828 homebrew box that used to house 515Bs...

i've been told that it helps to add a cork gasket or something, between the driver face and the rear of the baffle -- to keep the cone from slapping the cabinet... if you drive them hard...

i've not experienced this issue personally, even though I did not have the gasket installed when I had the 825s in the house.... but i did not listen at crazy levels either...
    yeah, got some TAD 1601B drivers and this is a problem... look at the difference between the altec gasket on the left and the TAD on the right...

Name:  photo-1 copy.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  76.5 KB

so it looks like i've got 6 or 7 mm increase in gasket thickness - and that's before i've allowed for any difference in cone excursion between the TADs and the Altecs.

I can look at the cone excursion specs but that won't tell me about the speaker surround movement, which is the bit which may touch the baffle - any thoughts on this, or will it be ok?

the TADs sound amazing at low levels though, but when you turn them up the surround definitely touches the baffle board...

thanks
    tom

yeeeshhh... really?

yeeeshhh... really?
    nobody got any advice on this matter?
    I tought that this forum would be THE place to turn for the TAD/Altec combo question...

Thanks
    Tom

yeah, got some TAD 1601B drivers and this is a problem... look at the difference between the altec gasket on the left and the TAD on the right...

Name:  photo-1 copy.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  76.5 KB

so it looks like i've got 6 or 7 mm increase in gasket thickness - and that's before i've allowed for any difference in cone excursion between the TADs and the Altecs.

I can look at the cone excursion specs but that won't tell me about the speaker surround movement, which is the bit which may touch the baffle - any thoughts on this, or will it be ok?

the TADs sound amazing at low levels though, but when you turn them up the surround definitely touches the baffle board...

thanks
    tom

yeeeshhh... really?
    I tought that this forum would be THE place to turn for the TAD/Altec combo question...

An idea !

Teddy ,

could you not have some rings cut from 6mm Aluminium to make up the difference ? You can have the bolt holes cut at the same time !

Rich.

BTW ... I'm looking for a 1603 basket if you hear of anything ?

yeeeshhh... really?

Thanks
    Tom
    Wow!? Just go Mcguyver and figure something out. I'm sure you can figure out a way to make a gasket, check a local hardware store

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    Wow!? Just go Mcguyver and figure something out. I'm sure you can figure out a way to make a gasket, check a local hardware store
    Doesn't he blow shit up by mistake though?

Oh wait, that's MacGruber.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Doesn't he blow shit up by mistake though?

Oh wait, that's MacGruber.
    Haha

Front mounting the woofers allows to avoid any problem with excursion and gasket thickness. And if you really need to make a 1/4" gasket to clear the cone, then grab a sheet of 1/4" Massonite and a router. 5 minutes later you will have a nice pair of spacers...

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Or you could also source rubber gaskets for mounting speaker grills...

thannks...

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Teddy ,

could you not have some rings cut from 6mm Aluminium to make up the difference ? You can have the bolt holes cut at the same time !

Rich.

BTW ... I'm looking for a 1603 basket if you hear of anything ?

i recently got some 1603 baskets with the cones totally wrecked for £100 each on ebay, they were in the UK. I see there's 1 x 1603 on ebay and whilst it would come in at £200 from the US it does have a working (but non-original) cone. in the uk it seems there are very few of these (?) in fact you can't even buy them from pioneer

regrding the aluminium, i think that would be the best thing because it is rigid and will not change any of the resonnance of the speaker. i was worried that just using rubber gasket would create a springy effect and change the qualities of the speaker.

i can get a friend to laser cut (so lazy!) some 6mm plywood rings to use as a slightly cheaper alternative maybe? could also put a bit of 1mm neoprene to make them airtight where they meet the baffle. don't want to fix them permanently. there won't be much difference between using ply and using aluminium though will there?

by the way, when you say you want a 1603 basket - are you going to recone it yourself or do you know someone who is competent, if so, where's the recone kit from? just interested if you can get em in the uk - every tech i speak to has not heard (of) them!
    i still need to get 2 x 1603 reconed. i know someone who used to work for gauss that could maybe do it... but if you know of anyone... wouldn't mind trying myself but this is a bit of an expensive start point.

oh also: 1603 orig. diaphragms:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAD-DP-160...item2c635910a9

thanks
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Front mounting the woofers allows to avoid any problem with excursion and gasket thickness. And if you really need to make a 1/4" gasket to clear the cone, then grab a sheet of 1/4" Massonite and a router. 5 minutes later you will have a nice pair of spacers...
    unfortunately you can't mount the speaker in front of the baffle on the Altec voice of theatres.

with the spacers you describe, assuming i don't want to glue them (so i can still swap other drivers in), would you put some sort of gasket on the spacer too?

is masonite what we call hardboard in the uk? sooth one side and textured fibres on the other? would this be better than ply do you think?

ta
    tom

Thread Information