Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a high pass filter?

Question Recommendations for a high pass filter?

Hello everyone,

I've got a Marantz 3600 pre amp which feeds a Marantz 510M power amp. I'm in the process of having the 128H's in my L150A's reconed and in the meantime I'm using a set of LX44's. I've broken down and bought a subwoofer, a M&K MX-350THX to handle the lows. Trouble is of course, I need a way to filter out the lows going to the LX44's...

I've been searching the net so far for something that will work but short of spending mega bucks I haven't been able to find anything but these: https://www.parts-express.com/harris...s-rca--266-274

I've also got an Audio Control C-101 Series II equalizer on it's way. I thought about just using this as a highpass filter of sorts but I'd like feedback and advice on the best way to go about filtering unwanted lows to my main speakers. What do you guys & gals use and or recommend?

Thank you for your time and advice!

A couple of lifetimes ago when those Culver City built Marantz units were new, I had a 3800 preamp and 510 amplifier. I used them in a tri-amplified system with a pair of Audioarts active crossovers. I still have one of these active crossovers and will give it to you for the cost of shipping if you want it.

Widget

Thanks for the response Mr. Widget!

I'd love to have it, thank you for the offer! PM sent.

So you had THREE 510M's?? Does the 3800 have three sets of preouts? I was told the 3800 has Dolby features that even when off, are still somewhat in use, so I went for the 3600 instead.. Still on the lookout for a Marantz 150 Tuner for the scope...

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Thanks for the response Mr. Widget!

I'd love to have it, thank you for the offer! PM sent.

So you had THREE 510M's?? Does the 3800 have three sets of preouts? I was told the 3800 has Dolby features that even when off, are still somewhat in use, so I went for the 3600 instead.. Still on the lookout for a Marantz 150 Tuner for the scope...
    No, the 3800 is just a 3600 with a Dolby FM circuit in it. I virtually never used the Dolby bit.

The way my set up was, 3800 to the pair of AudioArts 2100A Crossovers, from there the signal went to the 510 for the bottom, a Hafler DH200 for mids and a GAS Grandson for the highs. The system was a Dynaudio system and it was quite good once I got it dialed in. It took weeks and weeks of tuning by ear... back then test gear was completely out of reach for a college student.

Widget

That's still pretty rad. I was thinking about getting another 510M (when my wallet recovers) to power some vintage M&K Goliath subwoofers (possibly) while leaving the current one to power the L150A's. I'd like to get a B380 but is a 510M enough for two of them? Definitely more spendy too, the Goliath can be had for about 120 before shipping. I have no idea how one of those sounds though. Have heard only great things about the B380.

the Goliath can be had for about 120 before shipping. I have no idea how one of those sounds though. Have heard only great things about the B380.
    I have a Goliath as well. Those M&K 12's sounded great to my ears.

My other M&K's power amps were pretty week. Since my preamp has multiple "outs" , (and I was short on "audio bux") ... wired a full signal line to a NAD receiver and then it to the M&K ..then turned its treb to nothing, put on the high filter and it ran the sub pretty well.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'd like to get a B380 but is a 510M enough for two of them?
    Hello Derek

It's 250 per channel? If so no problem they will be just fine. I use a pair as subs for my mains in my HT using a Crown PS-400 @ 200 per channel. I know they recommend minimum of 200 max of 600 but from experience that extra 400 watts is just about 4 db or so of headroom. On regular program you will not miss it. I can get a pair stupid loud well before my clip lights flash and on music I have never rang a mass ring. For HT LFE subs not good as you can bottom them. If you do I guarantee you will be diving for the volume as it's very unnerving when it happens!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I have a Goliath as well. Those M&K 12's sounded great to my ears.

My other M&K's power amps were pretty week. Since my preamp has multiple "outs" , (and I was short on "audio bux") ... wired a full signal line to a NAD receiver and then it to the M&K ..then turned its treb to nothing, put on the high filter and it ran the sub pretty well.
    Thanks for the response, SEAWOLF! Great to hear, I'll add those to the radar for the future then. I do like the look of them and they wouldn't look too out of place next to my L150A's. Trouble is, I'm all out of "audio bux" right now myself. I've spent more on audio the past three months than I have in the past ten years..

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Derek

It's 250 per channel? If so no problem they will be just fine. I use a pair as subs for my mains in my HT using a Crown PS-400 @ 200 per channel. I know they recommend minimum of 200 max of 600 but from experience that extra 400 watts is just about 4 db or so of headroom. On regular program you will not miss it. I can get a pair stupid loud well before my clip lights flash and on music I have never rang a mass ring. For HT LFE subs not good as you can bottom them. If you do I guarantee you will be diving for the volume as it's very unnerving when it happens!

Rob
    Thanks for the response Rob!

They sure are. The 510M I have was just rated at 305wpc before clipping, so it looks as if they might be under rated from the factory. You're using a pair of B380's?? That is pretty rad, and good to know that 200watts will drive them. So it looks like when the audio bux coffers recoup I'll get another 510M and then a pair of Goliaths and then begin the hunt for two B380's. I've really opened pandora's audio box here...

Hope I never hear what bottoming out sounds like lol.. Speaking of clip lights, is it acceptable to run an amp such that those flicker here and there? Before I killed the shoddy recone job on my L150A's that's what I was doing. Didn't hear any distortion but I'm guessing the voice coil was rubbing on the one 128H just enough to rub through but not make any audible noise, unlike before with all that popping...

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Derek

Rob
    I Rob,

It could be the rang of the mass ring was above the threshold of your hearing....Lol.

Derek

It depends how stable the 510M is at high power levels? Does it have VI current limiting or other protection.

You know you can buy a superior Dayton sub plate amp with more power, dsp crossover functionality for not a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Derek

It depends how stable the 510M is at high power levels? Does it have VI current limiting or other protection.

You know you can buy a superior Dayton sub plate amp with more power, dsp crossover functionality for not a lot of money.
    Thanks for the response, Ian!

I'm trying to keep the set up as old school as much as possible. I love Marantz gear from the mid to late 70's so that's what I bought all that malarkey in the first place.. Sounds great to me too. Anyway, I'm not sure about that thing at all, I'm really not all that tech savvy. All I know is that I see the red lights flicker and I know red means bad haha. At that point, I limit the volume such that they flicker, but don't go full on illuminated. I broke down and bought that M&K sub (which sounds fantastic) to handle the stuff at 40 or 50hz and below in hope to try and take some of the load off that 510M. I'm bi-amping my Northridge E90's downstairs and have two E250P (terrible subs..) for the lows and that system never shows any sign of strain. Of course, it doesn't play as loudly as the stuff upstairs does. Still waiting on my SPL meter to show up..

I broke down and bought that M&K sub (which sounds fantastic) to handle the stuff at 40 or 50hz and below in hope to try and take some of the load off that 510M.
    I still have 2 of the M&K subs , on the dustcap is the slogan
    "Discover Deep Bass" .... it is so.

When I first set it up, the living room picture window was rattling and
    I had objects across the house doing it too. I could only barely hear that bass tho.

no idea what frequencies those were

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I still have 2 of the M&K subs , on the dustcap is the slogan
    "Discover Deep Bass" .... it is so.

When I first set it up, the living room picture window was rattling and
    I had objects across the house doing it too. I could only barely hear that bass tho.

no idea what frequencies those were
    Ooo! Which M&K's do you have?

Yeah the MX-350THX I bought has that same slogan on the dust cover. Seems like something you'd find at Best Buy or K-Mart on the clearance rack.. But before I pulled the trigger on my M&K I did some research and they're well liked but not often talked about. Much like Soundcraftsmen stuff. They may have even made the first subwoofer, not sure. But this MX-350 is clean, tight and goes low. I can actually feel the kick drum in my chest now. Those E250's are far too muddy in comparison, they're only good for HT.

Ooo! Which M&K's do you have?
    Seems like something you'd find at Best Buy or K-Mart on the clearance rack..
    Great veneers, USA made, nice quality,no, not Best Buy or K-Mart ,but even JBL L7's were sold at Circuit City.

While other manufacturers were building audio dinosaurs in the form of coffin-sized boxes, M&K led the way into the future with the world’s first satellite/subwoofer system, David & Goliath in 1976. The following year, M&K Sound introduced the Volkswoofer, the world’s first subwoofer with a built-in, dedicated power amplifier.

https://mksound.com/about-mk/

KEN KREISEL HISTORIC TIMELINE

https://www.kreiselsound.com/timeline.php

My home theater has a Velodyne Servo-sub , only because that came from an estates audio collection that I bought. The center channel has a 125wpc amp in it powering it's own 8 inch sub ...sometimes when I don't need big, overpowering sound , will use the center only.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yeah, the Goliaths look great. So you have two of those?? I'd want them both if you think you could ever part with them.

I was just saying the slogan seems like something you'd see emblazoned on something in the clearance section. I came across the very same links and adverts you posted. Years ago my friend was clearing out his garage and gave me some woofers from Eminence. I never heard of that company and my initial impression was that they weren't audiophile grade. In my research of M&K I stumbled upon something which said Eminence did or used to supply woofers to M&K.

That very same friend gave me his Velodyne SPL12BV sub once it's amp died. I've been trying to locate an amp for it every since with no luck. Seems it's a common problem for that sub. Woofer looks stout..

Thread Information