Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Concert/s EVER!

Jethro ?

Saw Jethro at the Edmonton Arena .... I seem to remember bits of it .... the rest of the show was INDICA ... Roxy Music was brilliant ... all rather anglo ,but great shows nonetheless !

Rich

I don't remember them all!

1969? 68? The Allman Brothers Band Buffalo Memorial Aud. Third row, center section seat 6. He REALLY did play a red guitar!
    1969 or 70 The Grateful Dead w/Buffalo Philharmonic. Feedback and Dark Star to open.
    I now understood what I would eventually know was the difference between the stage sound and FOH sound.
    1971 The Grateful Dead in Rochester or Syracuse. We skipped school that day, hitch hiked to the bus station in downtown Buffalo, bought bus tickets, then got to the show so early we got our tickets and then a bottle of wine. Good times!
    These others I dont know the years, but mostly before I was 25, so that would be before 1980:
    The Stones (2x)
    Van Halen (2x)
    Police
    J.Giles Band (2 or 3 time - they rocked!)
    Stanley Clarke
    Areosmith Probably the loudest concert of my life, on the 4th of July IIRC. Was deaf for a while after that one!
    Kansas
    Jethro Tull
    Peter Frampton
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Yes, KISS! One of the best stage shows Id ever seen up to that time. Gene stepped on a platform that lifted him over the crowd so he could spew blood on everybody! Awesome!
    More Dead shows
    Just in the last few years:
    Disturbed
    Styx
    Forigner
    Kiss
    Gwen Stefani
    This year so far:
    Jeff Beck
    I have tickets for:
    Steely Dan in July
    Chick Corea in August

Lately, weve been getting great shows in for the free summer concerts here in Western New York. These I've seen:
    Little Feat
    Peter Frampton
    So many others.I just can't remember them all. Funny how that works out.
    Guy in WNY

No Steely Dan fans?? Going to see Steely Dan for at least on night at the Beacon might do a second.

Have been to a couple of FZ Halloween shows at the Felt Forum and was at Dweezils recent Haloween shows at the Beacon and the Blender.

Seen ELP a few times from Trilogy to Black Moon.

King Crimsom since the third version of the band from Larks Tongue in Aspic through Thrak and Power to Believe.

Yes in various forms from Fragile to Magnification. Lots of really good shows from them.

MoodyBlues from Chidrens Childrens Childrens to The Present

Pink Floyd from Dark Side to The Wall and the Rogers tours of The Dark Side and The Wall last year.

Metalica was a blast

Peter Gabriel a bunch of times he is always good

Lots of other bands and solos really hard to pick a best. They are all fun and if I am lucky a bunch more.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

That's 2 more!

Thanks Rob!
    Mettalica in Buffalo just a couple of years ago and ELP back in the day (Brain Salad Surgery).
    The stage Metallica uses is fantastic! Articulated light boxes overhead like huge coffins and lasers up the wahzoo! Great show. Very Loud. In the HSBC Arena.
    Guy in WNY

I gotta pitch in as a guy in the "biz" and having been involved in and seen countless shows.

My absolute favorite was stumbling into a really small club here in Balto.Md while on a nite out on the town back in the early 80s and seeing LIONEL HAMPTON for free.

No amplification-just a small quartet of incredable players.

Truely my most favorite show

Oldmics

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    My absolute favorite was stumbling into a really small club here in Balto.Md while on a nite out on the town back in the early 80s and seeing LIONEL HAMPTON for free.

No amplification-just a small quartet of incredable players.

Truely my most favorite show

Oldmics
    Yep! those small clubs are where its at, must have been a lot of fun, plus it was a freebie!

Guy in WNY- Nice roster Dude! I've heard from a few people that the J Giles Band was always a great show, I would have liked to have seen them. I must also admit that seeing Kiss when I was so young was also very impressive, first concert I ever went to actually for better or for worse. By the time I discovered the Who 78-79 when Who are You came out I was already too late as Keith Passed away soon afterwards.
    What year did you see Stanley Clarke?.

Hi Robh! - You've caught some really nice shows, did you ever see SD before their self imposed hiatus? Peter Gabriel always puts on a grea show as well from what I've heard.
    Early Yes concerts must have been pretty incredible!?
    Not familiar with Metalica but I have heard they put on a good show as well.
    Thanks for moving the thread, I have a feeling it was you

ADDENDUM: Would also like to list concerts "I wish I could have seen".

Early Floyd (anybody catch Syd Barrett?)
    Muddy Waters for sure
    Cab Callaway (missed that one by a couple of years I'd say)
    Janes Addiction in all its glory
    The Go Betweens
    Dire Straits - when they were hungry
    The Clash (early) (actually saw them opening up for the who at Shea stadium in 82, they were great, the who was ok
    The Smiths
    Talking Heads (@ CBs)
    Lou Reed
    ...just for starters
    Just Play Music.

Concerts I'm gonna miss?

Rush is playing in Vegas tomorrow night. Had a buddy begging me to go out there with him. Concert tickets, plane tickets, rooms...all covered. Just couldn't get away right this minute.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Concerts I'm gonna miss?

Rush is playing in Vegas tomorrow night. Had a buddy begging me to go out there with him. Concert tickets, plane tickets, rooms...all covered. Just couldn't get away right this minute.
    Thats rough! I wont rub it in but I can totally relate.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    No Steely Dan fans?? Going to see Steely Dan for at least on night at the Beacon might do a second.
    They never toured back when I was young but I did see them about three-years ago at the Nissan Pavilion in Northern Virginia. Michael McDonald was the opener. Mike's sound crew sucked and had me worried but The Dan's sound was excellent, as expected. Nice long show with some of the best female backup singers. Not the Greatest Concert EVER! but damn good and my only Steely Dan experience.

I did get to crew for the Dukes of September concert in Richmond, VA, last year at the Innsbruck Pavilion (outdoors again!). The Dukes are Donald Fagen, Boz Scaggs, and Michael McDonald. I even got to help set-up Fagen's Steinway, and watch a two-hour warm-up/rehearsal with Fagen directing the show and going over the arrangement with the back-up singers and teaching Boz some chords. It was a good concert but a GREAT experience.

Al this makes me remember what really was my favorite concert. When I was a kid in St. Louis my Grandmother had tickets to the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra Sunday concert series. Usually pops oriented with guest artists. One Sunday back when I was about maybe thirteen or fourteen, the guest soloist was B. B. King. He started out by himself, just like on Indianola Mississippi Seed, with just him and Lucille and just after he hit the phrase "nobody loves me like my mother" the entire string section hit that two-note melody. I was just floored. It was so beautiful. This was probably around 1966 and B.B. was in his prime.

I heard B.B. again in England at the Royal Albert Hall around 1971 while visiting my high-school girlfriend for Thanksgiving my first year of college. I remember Duster Bennett as the opener. A fine concert but nowhere near as memorable as that time with my grandmother.

Just announce that Bruce Cockburn will play in my home town in September in a small venue. I have high hopes it can be added to this list then.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I wish I could have seen Son House. John Coltrane. The Pretenders with James Honeyman Scott. Dexter Gordon in the 1960s. Neil Young's Tonight's The Night "tour". Dr John. Concrete Blonde. SO many more.

But I am so grateful to have seen what I have seen. Hopefully, we can all take advantage of the remaining appearances of the mostly forgotten or at least out of the limelight talents who are still out there sometimes. Like Chris Hillman, Leslie West, Wayne Shorter, Dave Mason, Bonnie Raitt, and a hundred others.

Another concert that I should mention. A really nice Ian & Sylvia appearance opening for the Beach Boys at Bradley University Field House about 1966 or '68. I spoke about the experience at length before in another thread. Meeting them afterward was a highlight of my life. Believe it or not, no other fans cared to seek them out. For heaven's sake, see the musicians you know are really good while you still can. Let them know they are appreciated and loved. If they are accessible, tell them how much their music has meant to you, has helped you, has brought you joy and comfort. If they can't speak with you, write them a note or send them a letter.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Some of my favourite concerts / gigs? It's a longish list

Jack DeJohnette Parallel Realities tour with Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock and Dave Holland - Royal Festival Hall 1990
    Airto Morreira and Flora Purim (4th World) - Ronnie Scotts 1991
    Zawinul Syndicate - Jazz Cafe 1991
    James Blood Ulmer - Jazz Cafe 1991
    Bob Berg & Mike Stern (with Dennis Chambers) - Town and Country Club 1991 (now called the Forum)
    Barbara Dennerlein - Jazz Cafe 1991
    Jackie McLean - Jazz Cafe 1991
    Tony Williams quintet - Jazz Cafe 1991
    John Scofield - Canary Wharf 1992, that was a free concert as part of celebrating the opening of Canary Wharf, and it was free!! Not surprisingly the place was packed
    Bill Bruford's Earthworks - Shaw Theatre 1992
    Yellowjackets - Town and Country Club 1992
    Alan Holdsworth with Chad Wackerman - University London student union 1992
    Billy Cobham - Jazz Cafe - 1993
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Jazz Cafe 1994
    Steve Williamson - Jazz Cafe 1996
    Geri Allen - Barbican 1997
    Randy Brecker - Jazz Cafe 1999
    Yellowjackets with Peter Erskine - Jazz Cafe 1999
    Billy Cobham - Jazz Cafe 1999
    McCoy Tyner - Jazz Cafe 1999
    Mark King - Jazz Cafe 1999
    Tania Maria - Jazz Cafe 2000
    Herbie Hancock - Shepherds Bush Empire 2000
    Soulive - Jazz Cafe 2001
    Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Borderline 2001
    Marcus Miller - Perugia jazz festival 2002
    Herbie Hancock with Bobby Hutcherson - Barbican 2004
    Charles Lloyd with John Abercrombie - Barbican 2004
    Jack DeJohnette and John Scofield with Larry Goldings - Queen Elizabeth Hall 2004 - celebrating the music of Tony Williams
    Roy Ayers, The Beat - Croydon Music Festival 2005
    Azymuth - Jazz Cafe 2005
    Larry Corryel, Lenny White and Victor Bailey - Jazz Cafe 2006
    Jean Luc Ponty - Jazz Cafe 2007
    Stanley Clarke Band - Jazz Cafe 2008
    The Lightning Seeds - Croydon Music festival 2010
    Scott Henderson trio - Ronnie Scotts 2011

Add Rush to my list...

Getting old sucks! Too many senior moments!
    Stanly Clarke was at the UB or Buff State campus, a small hall, and that was about 1970 or 1971.
    I've got tickets to Chick Corea-Return to Forever IV, w/Lenny White, Jean-Luc Ponty, and others in August, with Zappa Plays Zappa as the opener act, at the Center for Arts? I think that's what it's called.
    Balcony, 2nd row, stage left.
    For the Jeff Beck show there we were balcony, front row. Great seats!
    Becks bassist just stole the show, after him anyway. She rocks out! Must have fingers like hammerheads!
    Guy in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    1968 saw the Chambers Bros , The Doors - Santa Barbara
    1969 CCR, The Animals , Canned Heat - Bay Area
    Wow, NOBODY else in this thread has seen THE DOORS or CCR ??

Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    three concerts that I remember really well

Steve Miller at the Cotton Bowl Dallas 1978
    The Eagles Farewell 1 and 2 2002? and 2004

OK "The Eagles" anywhere/anytime they are exceptional..
    I think SM is going to be here this summer (if we get a summer) ...thinking of catching that one...he's a fav

Watched the 2 DVD of the Eagles Farewell concert from Melbourne....absolutely fantastic...its filmed and sounds as good (if not better) than the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    No Steely Dan fans?? .

Rob
    I'm a big fan, tho have never seen them LIVE ...always wondered if their live sound matches their superbly constructed studio sound very well ? As I recall (since the movie is difficult to obtain) ..the film "FM" had them live and was a little disappointing ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Wow, NOBODY else in this thread has seen THE DOORS
    Only the new DOORS without Jim so it doesn't count.

I'm a big fan, tho have never seen them LIVE ...always wondered if their live sound matches their superbly constructed studio sound very well ? As I recall (since the movie is difficult to obtain) ..the film "FM" had them live and was a little disappointing ?
    They are quite good at least the shows I have seen. They have a really good live Two Against Nature DVD

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I have quite a few Steely Dan albums and a couple of CDs. One of the CDs is a "greatest hits" compilation and it has the song "FM" from that movie. It doesn't sound like a live recording, but I can't remember the movie enough to comment on how it was played there.

I would love to see Steely Dan in concert, probably won't happen.

Thread Information