Thread: UREI 813 C recapping

UREI 813 C recapping

Hi all
    This is my first post in this forum ...
    The reason I'm posting is that I need to recone the JBL 2215H drivers in my UREI 813C monitors. Does any of you know where can I find the recone kit (part # C8R2215) for these drivers ?

BTW I'm afraid I have to recap these speakers as well.
    I have tried to do a google search for the cap values Urei uses in these monitors but I couldn't find anything or to be more precise it's very difficult to find the appropriate caps.
    Does any of you have done this or has an idea where I could search for these capacitors ?
    The cap values are the following.

1. 10uf (100V) non polarized
    2. 75uf (100V) "
    3. 12uf (100V) "
    4. 36uf (100V) "
    5. 20uf (100V) "
    6. 2.2uf (100V)
    7. 1uf (250V)
    8. 6uf (200V)

Any help on the subject would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    George

david yost
    Hello, George:

Great speakers...I have 3 of them for L-C-R in my HT.

Are you sure you need recone kits, of just the foam surrounds?

My 2215's needed new surrounds a few years ago, and I was told that JBL only sold the complete cone/surround/spider/v. coil assemblies for them. They were very expensive and unnecessary, as I only needed the foam. I had a local repair shop do the work for me and paid about $50 each including labor. Since you are in Athens, you might try to get the surrounds from a stateside speaker repair company and make the repair yourself or have a local shop do it...google speaker repair and see what comes up.

As far as the caps go, I can't help you, other than to suggest digikey or PartsExpress. If they don't have the exact values, you can always parallel caps to get the values you need.

Good luck,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by david yost View Post
    Hello, George:

Great speakers...I have 3 of them for L-C-R in my HT.

Are you sure you need recone kits, of just the foam surrounds?

My 2215's needed new surrounds a few years ago, and I was told that JBL only sold the complete cone/surround/spider/v. coil assemblies for them. They were very expensive and unnecessary, as I only needed the foam. I had a local repair shop do the work for me and paid about $50 each including labor. Since you are in Athens, you might try to get the surrounds from a stateside speaker repair company and make the repair yourself or have a local shop do it...google speaker repair and see what comes up.

As far as the caps go, I can't help you, other than to suggest digikey or PartsExpress. If they don't have the exact values, you can always parallel caps to get the values you need.

Good luck,
    David
    Hello David
    Thanks for your reply.
    Well as far as if the speakers need to be reconed I am not sure.
    Actually it is the foam surrounds that have been damaged but I thought I should replace the entire cone in order to do a clean job and up to the manufacturer's specs.
    You see I use these monitors in the control room of my recording studio (along with a -fantastic- pair of Focal Twin 6 ) so I need to be able to trust the speakers completely.
    On the other hand if the recone kit is very expensive or difficult to find and replacing the foam is something that can be easily done and will restore the drivers to their original state as you say, then perhaps this is the way for me to go.
    I 'll do a search for a local speaker repair shop and see what I can find out.

Thank you for the links as well David.

Regards
    George
    Paraktio studio
    http://www.paraktio.gr

2215H in 813C

recone kit appears to be C8R2215H

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Tra...rts%20List.pdf

Sonus,

I've recapped my UREI 813s (the first generation) with Solen caps. There are a number of suppliers in Europe who supply these - I find references to this site: http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ind...olen-Fast.html.

An alternative would be Bennic caps. In most cases, you'll find that these are supplied with higher voltage ratings than the originals. This is acceptable but the physical sizes of the larger ones may cause a problem in placing them inside the crossover boxes and still get the cover back on.

With my 813s, I managed to parallel caps to get the right values but had to consider the size of the caps to make sure it would all go back together. Recapping really did add a lot of lost space and air around the high frequencies and reshaped the mid and bass response.

On the recone, I had to deal with the Altec 604s in my version, which also needed to have the magnets recharged - something I don't think you need to be concerned with on the JBLs.

If you intend to keep the 813s for another 10-20 years, though, I'd recommend you recone _if_ the kits are available. I would not trust that they'll be around forever. Same goes for the horn diaphram, IMHO.

Lastly, I'm suspecting that the subwoofer also needs attention. I refoamed mine but I'm concerned about the spider sagging after 20+ years. For me, that's the fun of restoring old gear, though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    It seems that the recone kit is still in stock in JBL's list (the price is included there) allthough when I visited their site I could not found how to order it on-line.
    Thanks for the link anyway.
    George
    Paraktio studio

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    Sonus,

I've recapped my UREI 813s (the first generation) with Solen caps. There are a number of suppliers in Europe who supply these - I find references to this site: http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ind...olen-Fast.html.

An alternative would be Bennic caps. In most cases, you'll find that these are supplied with higher voltage ratings than the originals. This is acceptable but the physical sizes of the larger ones may cause a problem in placing them inside the crossover boxes and still get the cover back on.

With my 813s, I managed to parallel caps to get the right values but had to consider the size of the caps to make sure it would all go back together. Recapping really did add a lot of lost space and air around the high frequencies and reshaped the mid and bass response.

On the recone, I had to deal with the Altec 604s in my version, which also needed to have the magnets recharged - something I don't think you need to be concerned with on the JBLs.

If you intend to keep the 813s for another 10-20 years, though, I'd recommend you recone _if_ the kits are available. I would not trust that they'll be around forever. Same goes for the horn diaphram, IMHO.

Lastly, I'm suspecting that the subwoofer also needs attention. I refoamed mine but I'm concerned about the spider sagging after 20+ years. For me, that's the fun of restoring old gear, though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

First of all thanks for your very helpful reply David.
    The results you describe you've had after recapping the crossovers sound very encouraging and make me anxious to hurry and recap mine too.
    The good part is that I have purchased a couple of things from Dirk at TubeTown.de and so I hope he's going to be able to help me somehow.

I have to admit that I really like the 813Cs in the studio , not because they are the most accurate speakers (I use the near-midfield monitors for this purpose) but because they give a different perception of how a mix sounds and on the other hand they are invaluable in helping us during tracking electric and electronic instruments. So it is possible that if I find a way to restore them succesfully, I'll keep these speakers for the next 5-10 years.
    Considering the time these particular speakers are out of production, I think that your suggestion for reconing instead of just refoaming makes sense, since as you say these recone kits are not going to be available forever...
    Desicions time !

George
    Paraktio studio

Thread Information