Thread: AR - Acoustic Research catalog scans

AR - Acoustic Research catalog scans

cleaning, ran across this. 1960's ?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

What I find to be cool in all this is ....

that you can order the stylus force kit (with case) delivered for $1.

should have ordered 200 of them and waited for 2020 & ebay.

A hammer on the turntable?

You mean folks in the day could figure out that this was just ad copy for effect and you don't have to provide all sorts of warnings and disclaimers in tiny print?
    David F
    San Jose

Thanks for the AR good old days. Yup most probably 1960's. My father had the AR TT in the sixties. Got to play with it for a while. I remember the tracking force gauge also. As I recall it was all plastic made along with plastic weights about the size of a coin. Not high quality stuff but it did the job.

RE Wish they all could be California JBL's

Can certainly wish, but not much California in JBL's anymore, other than Engineering and Sales & Marketing I guess... China and Mexico a lot for sure.

The AR3 came out in 1958, and there's a reference to the 1958 Brussels World Fair in there, too - so this might even be earlier than you thought!

Which also explains the 5% premium on speakers going to the West or Deep South. They didn't switch over from mule team to rail until 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    The AR3 came out in 1958, and there's a reference to the 1958 Brussels World Fair in there, too - so this might even be earlier than you thought!

Which also explains the 5% premium on speakers going to the West or Deep South. They didn't switch over from mule team to rail until 1960.
    Poulsbo, WA

are you the guy who advertises all the high end gear located in Poulsbo ?

I had AR3's ... rather crude plywood cabs. My pots went bad. ordered more from AR . Only way was to swap them was to remove the LF and work in that 12 inch hole. (with a light & soldering gun) ... I mapped out the wire connections before removing pots , both were wired DIFFERENTLY.

Mine had gone from AR to the PX in Pleiku, VN to Portland and then to Australia. Crossed The Pacific three times.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Poulsbo, WA

are you the guy who advertises all the high end gear located in Poulsbo ?

I had AR3's ... rather crude plywood cabs. My pots went bad. ordered more from AR . Only way was to swap them was to remove the LF and work in that 12 inch hole. (with a light & soldering gun) ... I mapped out the wire connections before removing pots , both were wired DIFFERENTLY.

Mine had gone from AR to the PX in Pleiku, VN to Portland and then to Australia. Crossed The Pacific three times.
    Hi SEAWOLF97!

That's interesting about the different wiring you encountered inside the AR3...do you think it was that way from the factory? And I sincerely doubt MDF would have survived better than plywood!

As far as high-end gear, I suppose that depends on your definition of "high end" lol

I run an AVL for events and installation business, and in that realm Midas, EAW, DAS Audio, Danley, Shure, Allen & Heath, Electrovoice, AKG, Manley, Radial, blackmagic, Panasonic, Samsung would likely be considered "the good stuff." It can sound and look very, very good when set up and operated correctly. I enjoy the install projects because we get to polish things and learn a lot about how to design a system correctly. The live events force you to spend huge amounts of time in the shop building and testing racks to give yourself a fighting chance at making the event sound as good as a decent installed system. I am greatly indebted to the smart people who have gone before me and took time to mentor a no-name soundguy living in Podunk

We're also pretty bad at advertising, but we kept very busy (until the CV shut down the events). Other than our previous EAW line-array system and a VOTT A8, no advertising to sell much gear that way, either.

Maybe a little more info about what you saw, and I can probably tell you who it is (PM is fine if you prefer).

Hi SEAWOLF97

As far as high-end gear, I suppose that depends on your definition of "high end" lol .
    Oh, I just see a number of interesting speakers/amp etc. at $5k+ price levels on CL and the location is the same (small ?) town. As there wan't an indication of a dealership, I assumed it was a wealthy person who cycles thru gear often.

The AR3's seem to be appreciating , not sure WHY . They had big bass, but mids & highs were weak. Not well balanced. The JBL L-100's were better and in the same general price range. The AR turntable was as basic as it could get, buy did the job reasonably well. Was recently surprised to learn that there was a 2 motor version.

Oh, I just see a number of interesting speakers/amp etc. at $5k+ price levels on CL and the location is the same (small ?) town. As there wan't an indication of a dealership, I assumed it was a wealthy person who cycles thru gear often.

The AR3's seem to be appreciating , not sure WHY . They had big bass, but mids & highs were weak. Not well balanced. The JBL L-100's were better and in the same general price range. The AR turntable was as basic as it could get, buy did the job reasonably well. Was recently surprised to learn that there was a 2 motor version.
    Not me, at least this time . There are sone bottleheads around, and Shunyata is from here.

You must be nearby if you’ve seen Poulsbo on Craigslist? I never guessed I’d run across a local so soon on the forum!

You must be nearby if you’ve seen Poulsbo on Craigslist? I never guessed I’d run across a local so soon on the forum!
    PDX

PDX
    Aha, you search far and wide on Craigslist

My first hi-fi experiences were in Bend. One of my older friends worked in the hi-fi shop there, and finagled with the owner to allow us to have a pair of beautiful new La Scala, a 2 x 100 watt Phase Linear, and a good turntable (can't remember what kind) for our high school graduation party. We set it up in the garage so all we had to do was roll up the door and let 'er rip. Hearing Freebird live and Mistral Wind on this setup was a defining moment for my career

Aha, you search far and wide on Craigslist
    umm, I only look at the Portland area. That guy (dealer ?) puts his adverts
    in our area's CL.

umm, I only look at the Portland area. That guy (dealer ?) puts his adverts
    in our area's CL.
    Now you've got me curious about who my neighbors are. Also, I vaguely remember seeing a member here who lives on the Hood Canal? It's a long big body of water, but Poulsbo is one of the towns adjacent to it

Thread Information