Thread: DSP/EQ/XO for 2x2226 and 2447/2352

DSP/EQ/XO for 2x2226 and 2447/2352

I have a cinema system with JBL 4648 LF (2x2226) and JBL 2447 driver on 2352 horn, DSP/amp is MiniDSP PWR-DSP3

Do anyone have reconmended DSP/EQ/XO settings for a combination like this? (Maybe there are presets on DBX/BSS units?)

Must be downloaded HiQnet for some examples.
    And watch settings for amplifiers CROWN DSI Series - JBL Cinema 56XX models.
    After that, you must copy the settings in the active filter.

Stéphane
    Club double 16"
    "Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler"

Thanx for input!

I didn't find any usefull info about cinema speakers within HiQnet but I did the same for DBX DriveWare and there I found some info, at least about the 4648 box used also in 4675C. I guess I could try some of the parameters used on the 2360 but if someone have for 2447/2352 that would be even better

I've not seen those small horns in the any of the cinema systems. I would look into the installed, portable or tour sound boxes to find a system number with that component load and then chase that in turnings.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Small horns?

Most people think the 2352 are rather large Here on top of the 4648 LF box

Name:  100402d1359762119-baldrick-sin-wall-sound-12kw-minidsp-ankommet-img_0320.jpg
Views: 3344
Size:  434.8 KB

Sorry, I meant small by comparison to the 2360 you mentioned (of which I have many) but I don't think the tuning for the 2360 would be what your looking for.

JBL Cinema does use small horns like the 2342 and 2380 but it seems like they skip right over the series of horns you have.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

They were used quite often in cinemas in Norway and I do prfer them over 2360, 2380 and others I've had. But you are corect that they were not part of a cinema system like i.e. 4670 or 4675

Club double 16"
    "Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler"

Thanx a lot!! I also found similar settings for 4675C so that should make an good starting point

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Thanx a lot!! I also found similar settings for 4675C so that should make an good starting point
    What settings did you find?

I am using 0.435 ms delay on my Everest II clone bottom end.

Please keep us in the loop if you can as you work with your miniDSP units. They are pretty handy little gadgets.

I found JBLs recomended EQ and XO settings for 4675C similar to the ones above. But have done some more testing now and the system really need a lot more work than those settings... I guess it's no way I can live with these spekaers without a tweeter like i.e. 2404.

The MiniDSP plateamps are so far unfortuntaly a dissapointment I bought 3 of PWR-DSP3 to use for this system but they generate way too much noise to be used on 2447 without lpads/resistors. I've now lowered them aprox 10dB but still I think there are too much noise/hiss, so that was a real dissapointment. They are though extremly powerful and I guess they sound pretty good as well, but the noise is no good... I am in contact with MiniDSP to hopefully find a way to lower the gain between the DSP and Amp module, but not sure if this is possible since the DSP is connected directly onto the amp modules.

Obsolete
    I found JBLs recomended EQ and XO settings for 4675C similar to the ones above. But have done some more testing now and the system really need a lot more work than those settings... I guess it's no way I can live with these spekaers without a tweeter like i.e. 2404.
    I don't know, I have no experience with the 2352/2447.
    The MiniDSP plateamps are so far unfortuntaly a dissapointment I bought 3 of PWR-DSP3 to use for this system but they generate way too much noise to be used on 2447 without lpads/resistors. I've now lowered them aprox 10dB but still I think there are too much noise/hiss, so that was a real dissapointment. They are though extremly powerful and I guess they sound pretty good as well, but the noise is no good... I am in contact with MiniDSP to hopefully find a way to lower the gain between the DSP and Amp module, but not sure if this is possible since the DSP is connected directly onto the amp modules.
    Yep, noise can spoil the fun. We've all run into it. G.T. runs a 6 dB resistor pad on his 476Be's and I run a 10 dB pad on mine.

It will be interesting to see what MiniDSP recommends.

***** I just looked up a few 2447H/2352 response curves. What are your in room curves looking like?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I've been running this 3-way lately with 2404 and it sounds much better than without EQ itself doesn't seems good enough to make the 2447 sound OK in the highs..

Regarding the MiniDSP plateamps we've finally working with a solution that hopefully will work. The engineer at MiniDSP is going to make some minor adjustments to the IO cards and put some resistors on the channel used for horns to lower the gain into the amp module. The amp module have fixed gain and this is probably the cause of the noise.

Obsolete
    Excellent!

Thread Information