Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Different Definitions of Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Now you know, name calling isn't allowed.

Personally, when I realize someone would rather provoke than converse, I simply ignore their posts.

Widget
    Of course you are correct and I am - thank goodness - no moderator. What does have me worried is a slippery slope thing the other way. A few more like this poster and we might become like Head-Fi. More BS than readable content and no longer worth wading through. People who like to endlessly repeat themselves tend to generate a high word count.

A preemptive strike, I feel an August member who's forum name starts with 4 will observe that we are there already. If only my posts mattered, he would probably be correct! I wrote a lot of downright embarrassing stuff back in the day; now I wish I could send it into the nearest black hole.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    There's something about all this processing that just doesn't sound right to me, almost artificial. Vintage amps right up too current amps based on simple old technology sound so much better to me. While measurements are nice and good for a getting a general idea of the gear, i rather go by me ear.
    Precisely what my experience has been too.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Even better idea ..... leave him alone , he'll get board and end up 'PLAYING WITH HIMSELF'
    They do say 'it' makes one deaf !

Rich
    That was my point.. I read that fellow's posts the first few times and then realized it was a simple waste of time. This most recent post, I saw the poster's name an moved down the list... almost as though he wasn't there.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I wrote a lot of downright embarrassing stuff back in the day; now I wish I could send it into the nearest black hole.
    I think most of us have... over the years, I have stumbled upon some of my older posts and wondered what the heck I was thinking... but it's all good, we call it growth. Good to know that it is still possible.

Widget

... over the years, I have stumbled upon some of my older posts and wondered what the heck I was thinking...
    but it's all good, we call it growth. Good to know that it is still possible.

Widget
    ... forgive me father, for I have sinned.
    Its been 5 hours since my last posting ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

That was my point.. I read that fellow's posts the first few times and then realized it was a simple waste of time. This most recent post, I saw the poster's name an moved down the list... almost as though he wasn't there.

Widget
    I have to admit that has worked well for me. Some time ago I was considering blocking a member who sent me a series of negative, paranoid PMs; I simply don't want to be exposed to him again. Not wanting to do something that drastic, I just skip over his presence now. And since you mentioned it, I realize I was already doing it in this instance.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I have to admit that has worked well for me. Some time ago I was considering blocking a member who sent me a series of negative, paranoid PMs; I simply don't want to be exposed to him again. Not wanting to do something that drastic, I just skip over his presence now. And since you mentioned it, I realize I was already doing it in this instance.

Clark
    Besides, putting someone on ignore usually fails because of all the quoting that goes on around here, so just when you think you're free, someone quotes him or her.

I keep one person on ignore by his/her request, which I found exceedingly odd at the time, but now except when that individual is quoted I am xxxxxxxxx-free. It actually turned out to be a good request.
    Out.

I think most of us have... over the years, I have stumbled upon some of my older posts and wondered what the heck I was thinking... but it's all good, we call it growth. Good to know that it is still possible.

Widget
    Yes, it's true for all of us. I've not seen anyone who posts here regularly who doesn't cause me to scratch my head at least once a week. Of course, sometimes when we're in our cups we can post some amazing stuff until we re-read it later. In my case, though, most people just assume I'm stupid. People can believe what they want, because at the end of the day, I've got what I want, and others' opinions are just a key stroke from oblivion.
    Out.

The comparison will have to wait until I get more time.

There was a mention of part qualty in one of the posts.

This is perhaps worthy of healthy debate.

Some people say a resister is a resister and they do not have an audible signature. Others say they do. Same for capacitors.

But what about the active semi-conductors? Is that a definition of quality? Or is the term quality not a useful to draw parts comparisons?

If a part can exhibit lower distortion and that can be related to transparency then I this its reasonable make reference to quality.

It is proven beyond doubt by key people in the field like Erno Borbely, Nelson Pass and John Curl that selected carefully, specific semi conductors can exhibit lower distortion as amplifying devices.

Historically all the buzz has been about passive parts and the subjectivity of that parts but little has been pubically discussed until recently about active parts.

Nelson Pass recently worked closely with a semiconductor manufacturer to develop a SIT (statis induction transister) with particular characteristics that would provide lower distortion in audio circuits. Previously these devices were used on radar installations.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt14/1.html

I am sure you will find this iink interesting reading.

In typical diy fashion a couple of years ago I replaced the IRF 9610 mosfets used in the differential pair of my AX Aleph power with Jfets. There is no question the Jfet has lower measured distortion and improved subjective performance in this application.

Its also interesting to note that recent technological advances have lead to a volume control chip (analogue , not digital) that has far superior parameters to the traditional potentiometer.

At last technology is being used to enhance sound quality not degrade it.

Quote Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

the Denon isn't in the same league as a dumb analog box - it's better.
    good news for you!

denon has a new av model!

http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201205/11/30802.html

Obsolete
    Last vestige of aluminum has been purged. Ditched the Perreauxs for an ancient but well restored pair of Dynaco MkIII monoblocks. Not a sliver of aluminum, no lights save the tubes. Stamped steel chassis, I think I'm good. Pending approval, of course.
    I'm looking at this to power my five Tannoys. All I really care about is some kind of wattage from a box that has cool blue lights. I'm sick of green lights. If it has to be emo, so be it.

The XPR-5 faceplate is made of 25 millimeters of solid billet aluminum; tooled, machined, engraved, and finished like fine jewelry. The oversized Emotiva logo is laser embossed on the faceplate, and an array of 60 dual color LEDs forms a high performance metering system that is hidden behind a smoked polycarbonate window.

Notice I didn't post any specs because I don't care. I'm going on the "If it looks like it kicks ass, it probably does." principle.

Quite simply, the XPR-5 is a beautiful amplifier, both visually <BITCHIN'!> and audibly. <WHATEVS...w = v*i>

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Notice I didn't post any specs because I don't care. I'm going on the "If it looks like it kicks ass, it probably does." principle.
    Finally

somebody in touch with todays values.... *

*all that walnut and steel is soo Old Skool
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

upgrade time

It looks like I'll be replacing my old PassX-5 with the newer and better XPR-5.
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jbljfan View Post
    It looks like I'll be replacing my old PassX-5 with the newer and better XPR-5.
    Hey, as soon as the Chinese manufacturers figure out what QUALITY CONTROL and QUALITY ASSURANCE mean we're all dead. Even Mr. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Hey, as soon as the Chinese manufacturers figure out what QUALITY CONTROL and QUALITY ASSURANCE mean we're all dead. Even Mr. Pass.
    I just bought a pair of Parasound Halo JC-1 amps. California designed and serviced but built in Taiwan. These amps are damned close to Pass Labs in performance at a much friendlier price point, but they are not cheap China prices either... at $9K a pair for 400 watt mono blocks. Basically quality costs, regardless of who is doing it.

Widget

Thread Information