Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Project M2 DIY Thread

Do it

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Regarding color, I would love to see M2 (including horn) painted in faux concrete.
    And then maybe some grafitti on it, to top it off
    I actually already had a pair of Altec diy's that had concrete looking paint on it. The 9cf cabinet never blended very well. I was originally thinking for Ferrari red but the give size may be too much, now thinking white maybe in the running.

Thanks,
    Scott

They are too big for red, I think.
    White, I probably would do myself, to try to blend them in with the walls.

Green would be a nice tribute to 4313b and his hair color!
    British Racing Green maybe?

The British Racing green looks good too. I wonder how they would look in shag. Blues Brothers is one of my all time favorites.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 4641
Size:  63.6 KB

No connection the sale of these amps, Crown Itech5000 HD's: For the M2 builder. http://www.ebay.com/itm/361481675547...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards,
    John

My wait finally over...for now.

Last week Thursday I received my DCi 4|300N and with much excitement began unpacking it. After about 3-4 minutes of the amp performing it's thing during power up Audio Architect detected it. I soon found out I would be needing a network switch since the amp only has one Ethernet port and that will be used for the EC-V. The next day as luck would have it, Goodwill had one with box for $4.99. Happily I went home and began setting up the amps network.

3 hours later of trying everything I realized the network switch just wasn't going to work. I wasn't even planning to have it in the main system, but figured I needed it for initial startup. Defeated.

The next day I thought to myself what would happen If I loaded the setting on the Amp and the EC-V separately and try it a set of test speakers. It actually worked and was as happy as I was relieved because the end is near. After an hour or so using the test speaker on all 4 channels I decided it's time to hook up the real deal. The volume was kept low because the kids were sleeping but my first impressions were not good, then I realized the right woofer was not playing. After checking all connections I still found nothing. I decided to check the settings in AA. Everything looked as it should but reloaded the amp just in case. This worked. By now the kids are up and other things needed to be done around the house so I loaded a CD and put it on repeat and closed the door(No Grills yet and Kids). This ran for about 2 hours. I shut everything down and waited for about another 2 hours to see if the channel thing would return. It did not. After a small listening session I must say these speaker are dynamic as hell and the horn dispersion is unbelievable. Also the SPL is plenty with the 4|300. I wasn't able to get a total impression of the sound yet because the placement is not proper yet. Should be able to get that done tonight.

Note: because the EC-V was showing as "unmatched" in AA and wouldn't match using the "Auto Match" button, I had to call BSS on Friday. They told me to select the EC-V under the "Found Devices" folder and click and drag it over to the EC-V representation in AA. BSS has done a great job with AA and finding the devices. It took twice as many hours finding my BLU-100 in LA.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
    I`m going för building a M2-clone as well Found the horns and modified plates second hand in Sweden. (what is the chance of that). The rest I will get from speaker exchange.

I have some serious problems of deciding what amps or DSP to use. I think I will go for BSS or crown because simplicity with presets. I have a alternative to a nice price from a friend to buy a Crown CTs 8200 with integrated BSS-dsp. But I`m not sure if it is powerfull enough. It is 8ch and the plan is to bridge four channels for the 2216nd`s. The 2216 is a 6ohm driver. The CTs is not specified fo loads under 8ohm bridged. It leaves 4-500RMS per channel bridged. http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysi...nel_USP-CN.pdf

My other 3 times (at least) more expensive alternative is a Crown 4x3500.

I like to play loud some times.
    Today I run 18" subs. I hope to not be needing any subs whith my M2`s. Therefore I`m unsure if the CTs 8200 will be enough.

Where is the limit in RMS set on DSP in the Crown HD amps? 1000rms?

Plan 3 could is to get the CTs and use it`s dsp for a bigger amp thru the cobranet.

Plan 4 external DSP and use my Lab.gruppen amps

Suggestions?

Best regards
    Karl
    regarding dsp, one minidsp opendrc-di per speaker would be the best choice, I think.
    I guess pos will publish very advanced FIR-settings with phase linearization, when he gets his M2:s up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlcnm View Post
    No connection the sale of these amps, Crown Itech5000 HD's: For the M2 builder. http://www.ebay.com/itm/361481675547...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards,
    John
    Purchased one of these Itech amps. Manufactured date was 11/2014. Unit was apparently factory serviced by Crown in 11/2015. There was a certification/checkout card in the box. Unit looks new and performs as well as my bought new Itech5000. Highly recommended.

Regards,

John

Those looked very tempting, thanks for posting.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

Very good amps those I-tech HD. Read the manual, lot's of great features.

Horn Input Coupling Cap

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Since the JBL Master Reference Monitor thread is so massive I'm staring a thread that I and others can document our M2 DIY process if the. Here are some links that I was able to reference. Thank you for all of your contributions that made my and others project happen.

Schematic of the M2 - Note: C2 in the schematic shows a value of 33.3uf, this is a typo. the correct value is 3.3uf

DSP File

Inside the M2

Outside the M2

M2 Dimensions

Horn Mounting

Horn Mounting pt2

Scott,

I believe that the input coupling cap in front of the horn driver pad should be 33.3 uF plus the 4.7 uF. That along with the forward looking equivalent resistance of 7.1 Ohm, (into the pad/driver), would fall into the ball park with about a seven Ohm impedance. This would certainly become a part of the high pass network.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnlcnm View Post
    Scott,

I believe that the input coupling cap in front of the horn driver pad should be 33.3 uF plus the 4.7 uF. That along with the forward looking equivalent resistance of 7.1 Ohm, (into the pad/driver), would fall into the ball park with about a seven Ohm impedance. This would certainly become a part of the high pass network.

Regards,

John
    Hi John,

I wish that was the case before I purchased the caps to charge couple the network. Barry confirmed the 3.3uf value here.

Thanks,
    Scott

Yes, that's pretty hard to argue with! Wow. Are the pad resistors per the schematic?

John

Porting?

Hi Scott

Did you ever get around to measuring what resonance frequency you got from the ports in your M2 cabinet?

Fs of the 2216Nd is 36Hz mechanical from the TechBot file but seem to be all the way up to 39,3Hz from the Mlssa measurement also posted in the same document.

Some post in the lengthy M2 thread seem to indicate that the system Fs is 27Hz for the M2 system.

Not really sure what happens then. I will post a separate thread on that. -Also posting this question in the other DIY M2 thread.

Kind regards
    //RoB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Hi Rob,

I also have not measured anything yet. I purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 last week and still need to get a microphone. I'll be sure to post any findings when I get it set up. Unfortunately time is limited right now.

Thanks,
    Scott

Thread Information