Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 1200 Array

Obsolete

DIY 1200 Array

Something I've been working on for years in various iterations. Someday I might even finish them.

The intent here was to build as small and efficient an Array as possible that could give a Tannoy DC12i a run for the money. It clocks in around 96 dB, W, m. The smaller size of the Tannoy DC12i (basically the same volume as a JBL 120Ti) is still quite tantalizing, as is the superior imaging. But, alas, it isn't a JBL. Nor can it upgrade from a three-inch high frequency compression driver to run a state of the art four-inch high frequency compression driver if desired (quite frankly, I find the 435Be to be quite sufficient here). To be fair, the Tannoy isn't really at the same price point.

Greg's 1200 Array remains my all time favorite JBL system; custom or otherwise.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Interesting work
    how dues 2206h sound with 476be and 045be?

2206 is a great 12", ported or sealed. I use it in a 4way with 2245, 2206, 2445 (w/Be) and 2405. One day I may be fortunate to afford better top end drivers.
    Cool project 4313B

They look really nice! How are you doing the crossovers?? You doing active or do you have passives running. How do you like that driver combo on the horn?? The 476 barley fits in the box.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Wooaaa! What's this?!? An actual project? How cool. It's good to see something going on out there, especially a project with serious potential.

Standing by with great interest.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Obsolete
    How are you doing the crossovers?? You doing active or do you have passives running. How do you like that driver combo on the horn?? The 476 barley fits in the box.
    Using the 476Be here is kind of like driving a wire brad into a stick of butter with a twelve pound sledge hammer. But I made sure the box would accommodate the larger four inch drivers anyway. I'm undecided whether to use a 243x or 245x.

Hopefully this weekend I can get some measurements with a 435Be and 476Be so I can LEAP some networks.

I'm tempted to use a flat cut white birch veneer instead of the planned espresso.

Are you planning to run the 2206 sealed/ported/open back?

I have a pair of 2206J's that I have been playing around with but found no real love like I do for the 2226's I use as my mainstay.

I ran my 2206's in a L-100 cab I had sitting empty but stuffed the port with foam and left the tweeter mounting hole open for approx 60 hz tuning per WT2. I estimated approx 15hz less bottom end than the 2226. I don't want subs in my system and that killed 2206 ideas for me. You do need a sub with them up to 80hz!

I'll be watch this thread progress!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Obsolete
    Hi Ron,

The 2206H boxes are vented with the 4-inch ducted port in back. They do require subs as intended (as do the Tannoy DC12i). They are the same width as typical JBL bookshelf systems (14.25") as intended.

Here's a photo of the Tannoy. It's a couple inches wider and and a couple inches less deep.

I'm also building some boxes for JBL fifteens to try with the horn modules.

Obsolete
    I didn't get nearly as far as I wanted this past weekend. But I made up for it yesterday.

The 2206H boxes are done except for veneer.

I have a bit of bracing left to do on the horn boxes as well as cutting and bolting up the boards the networks will eventually get built on.

I hope to get measurements taken this weekend.

Looks like a HTPS400 grill...

Obsolete
    Seriously??? You mean I could have purchased a pair of premade grilles instead of standing in a 105 degree garage cutting these bastards?

Oh wait... I don't have the year to wait for JBL Parts to send me a broken pair and then wait another year for a replacement pair.

Actually, they look just like a twelve-inch version of my fifteen-inch Everest II inspired clone grilles. Inspired specifically by the ancient JBL L88 Nova. I know there are tons of other round grilles out there but it was the L88 Nova I had in mind. The horn on top creates a little exclamation point. Too bad the horn isn't triangular in shape.

Anyway, while I never used to care about grilles I now have to. I also ordered spare dust caps and recone kits from JBL Pro just in case one of the kids goes rogue and terminates a cone.

Too bad JBL Pro can't sell JBL Consumer parts. There's alot to be said for ordering something from JBL Pro and receiving it within a week in perfect condition with zero hassle. But then, Pro has always been professional. Consumer has always been a real tragedy that has only gotten worse over time. Now they're "Lifestyle", WTF is that!? Grow up already!

I seriously need to stop thinking about "Lifestyle" or it will kill my will to complete this project. Everytime I think of "Lifestyle" I start retching and it takes alot of effort to stop.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    Interesting work
    Well... it has none of that "slap you in the face a few times, and then once more for good measure" that untamed 2123, 2202, or E120 have...

I think Doug Button did a great job on it.

Those are great 4313b!!

Looking forward to your listening impressions!
    Always fun learning more.......

Obsolete
    Do you have all of yours done (except the one I have)?

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you if I did.
    I think your work is impeccable and it's wonderful that you share it.

I just blurted out that line about the grill because of the sub I just got but should have phrased it a little differently. I get lazy some times.

Thread Information