Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: JBL unveils new LS series Loudspeakers

I found this on the bottom of the page with the European links.

If you would like assistance please contact [email protected] or call 1.800.675.2638.

This will take you to the USA site. There's nothing there about LS stuff, but it can't hurt to try the 800 number.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/

Obsolete
    Someone mentioned yesterday that Synthesis Dealers are going to carry this Series.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Someone mentioned yesterday that Synthesis Dealers are going to carry this Series.
    Well if that's the case, and I don't see many other options, they'll get about as much exposure as the Performance Series did. Which will be unfortunate.

It might be that NFM might carry them, as they did have the PS a few years ago, But that's only 2 or 3 outlets, right in the middle of the country. And Tweeters is gone, they had the PS.

We already know BB/Magnolia will never carry JBL, CC gone, Frys only sells the lower ES series, most small dealers gone, except for the large cities.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Any idea where the LS series is manufactured?
    When I was checking out TiDomes Synthesis thread, I was happy to see "Made in USA" on some of the boxes and components. It matters to me.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Well if that's the case, and I don't see many other options, they'll get about as much exposure as the Performance Series did. Which will be unfortunate.
    I honestly don't know how all that works. I have no idea if JBL is happy or not with the number of Performance Series units they sold. I do know that they are extremely pleased with the number of Everest II units sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarior View Post
    Any idea where the LS series is manufactured?
    When I was checking out TiDomes Synthesis thread, I was happy to see "Made in USA" on some of the boxes and components. It matters to me.
    I believe that anything sold by a Synthesis Dealer, including the LS Series, is still "Made in USA" for the most part. I suppose I could be wrong. I do know that the Array, K2 and Everest components are all made by JBL Professional Manufacturing (not to be confused with JBL Professional Marketing, Sales or Customer Service).

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B
    I honestly don't know how all that works. I have no idea if JBL is happy or not with the number of Performance Series units they sold. I do know that they are extremely pleased with the number of Everest II units sold.
    Yes it seems these days all the high end JBLs are doing very well in the sales numbers. They also get all the press. But for the average Joe, way out of range. If I could afford a pair of Everest II, my order would have been in two years ago.

I've often wondered how many PS units were sold, they were out about 4 years, I think it was, before they showed up on the Harman online store, as refurbs. Don't ever remember seeing much press on the PS. Most people I've conversed with, online, never heard of the PS. I had to buy them w/o an audition, but as I've had JBLs since '73, I figured I'd like them.
    At this point in time, for anything JBL, above the ES series, I'd have to go down to SoCal for any kind of audition. No search ever comes up in NoCal, NV

Quote Originally Posted by 4213B

I believe that anything sold by a Synthesis Dealer, including the LS Series, is still "Made in USA" for the most part. I suppose I could be wrong. I do know that the Array, K2 and Everest components are all made by JBL Professional Manufacturing (not to be confused with JBL Professional Marketing, Sales or Customer Service).
    When I first read about the LS, I'm thinking I saw something about them being built in Europe. Seems reasonable as that's where they've been sold to date. But as the PS were built in Northridge, I would think that the US sold LS units would be also. But I'm guessing on that.

No rush, apparently. They're currently listed on the JBL Consumer GB site under "Classic" home audio?! Isn't that one foot in the grave toward "discontinued"?

If you go to JBL.com and select "United Kingdom" in the country drop-down menu at top-right, then select "products" under home audio that's how it comes up. So how long have they been available elsewhere? They'll probably show up in the H-K tent-sale clearance on ebay about the same time they hit the Synthesis dealers in the U.S.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    No rush, apparently. They're currently listed on the JBL Consumer GB site under "Classic" home audio?! Isn't that one foot in the grave toward "discontinued"?

If you go to JBL.com and select "United Kingdom" in the country drop-down menu at top-right, then select "products" under home audio that's how it comes up. So how long have they been available elsewhere? They'll probably show up in the H-K tent-sale clearance on ebay about the same time they hit the Synthesis dealers in the U.S.
    I seem to remember the LS first showing up in Europe press about a year ago. From what I saw online.
    I doubt the LS will ever show up on Harman's ebay store, the PS never did. The PS was only on the Harman factory store, under "specials", as refurbs, about 4 years after their release date.

Under the "Classic" is also the Ti series, Studio L, ES, Northridge.
    The ES has only been out about one year.

Obsolete
    But as the PS were built in Northridge
    Some were from Mexico. Tweeter from Audax, midrange and woofers designed by a guest engineer from China. LE14H-3 was USA. In any case, that's just the way of the world these days.

Some were from Mexico. Tweeter from Audax, midrange and woofers designed by a guest engineer from China. LE14H-3 was USA. In any case, that's just the way of the world these days.
    I'm going by what my PT800s have on them. The box, midrange, mid-bass all say made in U.S.A. Don't remember what the markings on the crossover is.

I know the tweeter was French made. You say guest engineer from China, do I assume correctly, he worked at Northridge.

Now, the pair of Studio L890s I bought had "assembled, or made in Mexico" don't remember which.

Obsolete
    I'm going by what my PT800s have on them. The box, midrange, mid-bass all say made in U.S.A. Don't remember what the markings on the crossover is.
    Yep, I just know they switched at some point as some of the furniture lines were moved out of Northridge to Mexico.
    You say guest engineer from China, do I assume correctly, he worked at Northridge.
    Yep. At the time of development he did. Really nice drivers too! I've taken them apart to make sure.

Seriously, I really like them. I think the Performance Series is outstanding.

Yep, I just know they switched at some point as some of the furniture lines were moved out of Northridge to Mexico.
    Yep. At the time of development he did. Really nice drivers too! I've taken them apart to make sure.

Seriously, I really like them. I think the Performance Series is outstanding.
    Did you ever see the Revel Gem2? Basicly an upgrade of the PT800, as good as the PS is I'd really like to hear the Gem2.

Listened to Phil Collins Face Value, Return to Forever, Returns DVD and the Ultimate Mancini SACD last night.

I never heard Phil like that before, the vocals floated pleasantly around the room with very pleasing warmth and detail. The band sounds good, but the vocals are what really shows the difference.

RTF sounded outstanding. In addition to his Les Paul, Al Dimeola has a couple of cool looking Paul Reed Smith guitars now. Their tone was spectacular, as was the Paul’s, but all with their own sound. Stanley Clark never fails to amaze and sounded even better now that the LS is well broken in. Chick’s keyboards sounded rich and warm. Lenny White’s drumming kicked ass and showed off the improved high-end capabilities. The LS creates a sense of space from the center that was previously non-existant. Logic 7 loves it.

On Ultimate Mancini, did AB between 6 channel SACD mode and Logic 7 for a while. Once I figured out how to balance the volume, the AB testing had some surprising results. The SACD was very clear and distinct, but it was a lot easier to miss the warmth and the sense of space coming from Logic 7 off the stereo analog outputs. Monica Mancini made for a little bit of Heaven right here in Kansas. I am unable to describe how she sounded; you just got to hear it

WAF report
    SACD multichannel -
    Logic 7 +

It remains to be seen if this is true of other SACDs.

When I first read about the LS, I'm thinking I saw something about them being built in Europe. Seems reasonable as that's where they've been sold to date. But as the PS were built in Northridge, I would think that the US sold LS units would be also. But I'm guessing on that.
    Label on back says:

JBL Incorporated
    Northridge, California, USA
    Designed and Engineered by JBL
    Assembled in China

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    Assembled in China
    I've got a fundamental problem with multinationals on the constant hunt for sustenance level labor...

"the economic crisis will push more businesses underground to avoid taxes and unionized labor, which will increase the use of forced, cheap and child labor by cash-strapped multinational companies"

I think the time has come for a global labor union.

Thread Information