Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: JBL 4520 speaker replacement.

While putting the parts list together I saw where the Yamaha PX5 amp has a power boost mode that is similar to what other amps call bridging.

Figure that if I use four 4520 cabinets I can set the amps in power boost which will give up to 1400 watts at 4 ohms, although with the two drivers in a cabinet in parallel the maximum I can feed the drivers will be 1000 watts. That should give plenty of headroom.

I can then maybe use Yamaha PX3 amps for the midbass and treble drivers.

Concerning the 4520 cabinets should I just run the wiring out of the cabinets or is it ok to install a terminal plate with a speakon jack on it?

What concerns me about that is power handling.

Would the jacks be good enough or will a direct wire of the drivers to the amp be best long term?

Here is Eaulive's (a member here) set-up from 4 years ago. Pretty simple and it sounded good. The midrange horn was home made and sported a 10" driver.

@Tube Radio. You mentioned wanting to use mini-DSPs... Why simply not get a regular digital crossover such a DBX Venue 360. It will do time alignment, auto-eq, bass synth and boost

That's a very nice setup

Can the DBX work with a measurement mic?

As it turns out I may be having some 4520 cabinets built for the rink I currently dj at as they use four yorkville subs on one side and they aren't necessarily good sounding or efficient.

Driving them with a pair of qsc rmx2450 in bridged mode and the bass near the dj booth is severely lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Radio View Post
    That's a very nice setup

Can the DBX work with a measurement mic?

As it turns out I may be having some 4520 cabinets built for the rink I currently dj at as they use four yorkville subs on one side and they aren't necessarily good sounding or efficient.

Driving them with a pair of qsc rmx2450 in bridged mode and the bass near the dj booth is severely lacking.
    The DBX Venue 360, as well as the Behringer DCX 2496, both work with a calibrated mic. I have a Behringer, it is fine though, but just because I couldn't afford the DBX ;-)

Great that you can have some 4520s built. Also, remember that the cabs were originally designed for the 2205 drivers which had Fs30Hz and a low QTs. Have a you found a modern replacement yet?

Awesome. I'll add the dbx to the list of equipment to buy.

I found a replacement for the drivers that a fellow forum member used. Its a Dayton audio 15" woofer for $75 each. The link was posted somewhere early in this thread. I can find the link and post it again later today.

So basically I can set the amps up to where it sounds ok in the center of the rink then use the dbx with mic to optimise it?

EDIT:

Here's the drivers I intend to use.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-034

Tube radio's dayton audio woofer found

Hi Justin,

I had a quick look at the woofer you found on Parts-Express web site: Dayton Audio PA- 380-8

First, you should check on Dayton's own web site to validate driver data given by Parts Express to be sure those are the real parameters, sometimes there are errors on commercial sites. Below I used as is on P-E. If indeed the parameters are the same, you may still have some "problems" with regards to parameters proximity with the 2205 driver Lee correctly identified as being the real match for 4520.

You shouldn't base your driver choice mostly on the close resonance frequency in free air (Fs) between JBL's 2205 (most appropriate driver) and the Dayton Audio driver. There's a lot more than Fs to consider, but lets stick to just a few basic ones to facilitate your search, and not chase ghosts. As of most recent, JBL recommended two drivers for the 4520/4530, the 2205H and the E-140. Plus many guys did use with good (not ideal) results the E-145 for its longer cone travel (Xmax: 7.1 mm), specially those who really wanted to beat the hell out of this box at lower frequencies... The following numbers will help you see the type of numbers to look for and those to try to avoid. Vas: volume of air having same acoustic compliance as driver suspension.

Some basic parameters of the 2205H were: Fs 30HZ , Qts .21 , Vas 297.3 liters
    Some basic parameters of the E-140 were: Fs 32HZ , Qts .17 , Vas 297.3 liters
    Some basic parameters of the E-145 were: Fs 35HZ , Qts .25 , Vas 274.7 liters (little high on Qts)

Even with this partial data you can see why the 2205 and E-140 were recommended, and why some did want to use the E-145 (not ideal but lets say acceptably close). Under, you'll see what's not close enough (but in the case of the 2225 remember it's about the nearest left in the JBL catalog approx. 1985-2005, now replaced by 2226 which is even further away on Qts at .31).

Some basic parameters of the 2225 were: Fs 40HZ , Qts .28 , Vas 170 liters
    Some basic parameters of the Dayton are: Fs 31.6HZ , Qts .27 , Vas 175.2 liters (6.19 cu. ft. to metric )

Other than Fs, the Dayton driver is far off on Qts and Vas compared to 2205. In fact, two of its three parameters are close to those of the 2225. I do know many persons did use 2225 in 4520/4530 as "second best" for reasons of availability (see above), but as a knowledgeable member said in another thread it is not really suited for this purpose (45 series). I know it was rather used extensively in JBL's 46 series.

Some other data for Dayton looked ok, like sensitivity, Xmax (unless you plan a really rough LF ride for it).

Most probably you'll have to make compromises, and that's ok if you give more weight to the important data. I wouldn't lose sleep, in this case, on an Fs of 30 VS 32 VS 35HZ. But I would be more concerned with the other two parameters of the Dayton.

it may be difficult to find an exact clone, i know, the 2205 was a bit lonely in its category, and the other compatible one (the E-140) were both discontinued a long time ago. if i were you i'd try to find another more suitable candidate if you want to have the kind of sound and performance you're expecting from the 4520. it's not a question of good or bad drivers but simply suitability for intended purpose. The 4520/4530 rear chamber (behind the drivers) has a very small volume and pretty low Qts tends to be good for that.

To make it easier on you, I suggest you search first by diameter, Fs, Qts, Vas and then when you have a few good prospects in sight, look at the other driver parameters of interest, and decide. Regards,

Richard

Fellow forum member NickH used them in his and they worked very well for him.

So at only $75 a pop I'm inclined to try them once I get the cabinets built.

Redundancy - Here was my comment early in the thread. Post #4. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    That would be a first mistake ;-) The 4520 is NOT a sub. It is a bass cabinet. ;-)

The ideal woofer has a low Qts. The original 2205 had something like 0.2 and good old 2225 have 0.28

I suggest not to go with 2226 which is clearly a bass reflex driver (and it would require major eq to cut 100+ Hz)

Or sell the cabs and get bass reflex cabs with modern drivers requiring gobs of power to feed. ;-)

Oh ok so that's why the Dayton Audio woofer worked so good in the forum member's cabinets.

[QUOTE=Lee in Montreal;403592]Here is Eaulive's (a member here) set-up from 4 years ago. Pretty simple and it sounded good. The midrange horn was home made and sported a 10" driver.

Hey that's me :-D

And it's a 12" B&C 12PE32 as a midbass driver ;-)
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Nice to see you around!

[QUOTE=Eaulive;403781]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Here is Eaulive's (a member here) set-up from 4 years ago. Pretty simple and it sounded good. The midrange horn was home made and sported a 10" driver.

And it's a 12" B&C 12PE32 as a midbass driver ;-)
    Awesome system you have there.

An update. They are still waiting on the bank to lower the price some as what they expect to get out of it is way more than what rinks are currently selling for around the local area.

Thread Information