Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Internet Radio from an unlikely source

New Internet Radio from an unlikely source

AARP, no kidding. It is free, powered by Slacker. I'm listening to Art Tatum right now.

http://www.aarp.org/etc/aarp/statics...er-player.html

Programing is by Concord, which now owns a boatload of valuable music.

Edit: In this relaxed setting I am appreciating "Freddie Freeloader" more than I ever have before. Go figure? I think I like Internet radio. Unlike broadcast, I can click next if I don't like what comes on.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Slacker is not currently available outside the U.S. or Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Slacker is not currently available outside the U.S. or Canada.

http://technorati.com/entertainment/...re-so-is-your/
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    but you do have Spotify (which is coming to the US)

http://technorati.com/entertainment/...re-so-is-your/
    Don't think so, if he's in Germany. Taken from Wikipedia just now:

Spotify is currently only available in Sweden, Spain, Norway, Finland, France, the Netherlands, United Kingdom and the United States. In Austria, Belgium, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Romania and Switzerland the Premium service was offered until July 2009, but never the free version. Currently only customers with credit cards issued in one of the above-mentioned launch countries can buy a Premium account.
    Control 25AV on the deck - L1 - L20t & L80t in piano black - 4312A - 4430

Quote Originally Posted by Jonis View Post
    Don't think so, if he's in Germany. Taken from Wikipedia just now:

Spotify is currently only available in Sweden, Spain, Norway, Finland, France, the Netherlands, United Kingdom and the United States. In Austria, Belgium, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Romania and Switzerland the Premium service was offered until July 2009, but never the free version. Currently only customers with credit cards issued in one of the above-mentioned launch countries can buy a Premium account.
    OKAY ..I Googled it...seems to be some confusion over Germany

Spotify workarounds for Germany
    Tips and tricks to continue listening
    http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/i...p/t145323.html

looks like the spotify clone, Simfy is the one to use in Deutschland

Simfy, Germany’s answer to Spotify, gets boost from major cable deal
    http://thenextweb.com/eu/2011/01/19/...or-cable-deal/

OBTW: Wiki is a great resource..I use it all the time, but its not always perfect...on the JBL page, for a long time it referred to the "L250Ti" ..and there ain't no such animal. (has since been corrected)

Because of this thread

I googled Spotify invitations and requested one from them ...it came in last night and I installed this AM ....looks very interesting ...its a local & web player with Pod interface
    that looks like it may displace iTunes for me

it scanned my drive and found tunes that I didnt know were there ...playback quality is
    very good....I'm sure there are lots of features to be discovered

If I can figure out the invite system , will try to share them here.

Here is how I got a Spotify invite

http://www.spotify.com/us/hello-america/

been having lots of fun wif it .... give a try if interested.

Thanks Ducatista47, The sound quality for some reason seems to be beter than Pandora? I hvbe pandara set at the highest quality and AARP still sounds much better? Thanks for the heads up.

Interestingly enough, it seems the music companies are trading shares of the biz back and forth amongst themselves, but not always paying money to the originators of the music ... Spotify isn't always rendering payment down to the artists who created the actual music they are "sharing".
    They say they are "fans of the music" but perhaps "fans of the music business" is more accurate ...

Robert Fripp has had ongoing discussions in his diary about the attitude of many of the online radio services to "assume permission" to play any and all music, and if a complaint arises, to sort it all out later.

(Back info - Fripp is one of the founding members of King Crimson, has been involved in every version of that group, is a guitar player of some note, has played on a number of other artists releases, and he also manages copyright issues for KC, and makes sure all members of the group get paid royalties for the back catalog).

From Robert Fripp's Diary of 21 Aug, 2009 :
    http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=15513

" ... onto today’s professional arising: Spotify. Nominally, Spotify acts within a rights-approved & legal framework. From their website…

We’re music lovers like everyone else.

We want to connect millions of people with their favorite songs by creating a product that people love to use. We respect creativity and believe in fairly compensating artists for their work. We’ve cleared the rights to use the music you’ll listen to in Spotify.

Wow! The rights are cleared & my cheque (honouring distributive justice + fairness = equity) is in the post.

From our DGM Distributor > Mr. Spotify Person…

Sent: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:03
    Subject: Re: Stolen Content - King Crimson

Please be advised,

You are currently carrying two King Crimson tracks on your service - 'Catfood' & 'Groon'. I suspect they have been delivered by UMG.

I regard this as theft of copyrights owned by Robert Fripp & licensed to my company.

Please remove these tracks immediately & inform me as to how you plan to address your repeated theft of King Crimson copyrights.

For the final time, I have no interest in having King Crimson music featured on your parasitic service & if Universal, EMI or any other major record company delivers King Crimson tracks to you - they are delivering content that they know they do not control.

It is in effect stolen goods that you, in turn, are offering to the public.

From Mr. Spotify Person > DGM Distributor in reply…

Many thanks for your note. Not sure what happened here, but we'd love to be able to include your content in the service going forward, which should be of tremendous benefit to you as well.

As you may have seen, Spotify is really getting great press across Europe and the service should provide a great platform for you to reach new and old fans of KC.

Can we have a discussion as soon as possible about getting your content licensed alongside the hundreds of Indies already on board? Please feel free to call me any time on… I look forward to speaking with you very soon, after which I could send our contract proposal over.

(RF Interjection: a music lover does not refer to music as content).

My today-response: RF > Mr. Spotify Person…

this is to confirm that Panegyric acts on my behalf as copyright owner in the material under discussion.

(you write) “the service should provide a great platform for you to reach new and old fans of KC”.

it's certainly easier to make music available when the wider interests of the artists are not taken into account.

i have a responsibility to all the members of King Crimson to ensure that equity in distributed income prevails in our licensing arrangements. this means that i am unable to license any material whatsoever to you; with the significant exception that i become a large shareholder in your operation. in which case, the artists wouldn't have to be paid at all, would they?

so, please be informed: any king crimson content on your site at all is unauthorised & illegal; and you are formally notified of such by both Panegyric, as my agent, and myself, as rights owner / controller.

This is the wheeze: the copyright owner / controller supplies Spotify (and others) with a license to make their catalogue available in exchange for shares, perhaps bought for a minimal sum. Shareholding is not a record sale, therefore no accounting is necessary to artists, although artists may receive a nominal pittance. Meanwhile, Spotify shares rise in price,"

Here endith the Fripp quote.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Interestingly enough, it seems the music companies are trading shares of the biz back and forth amongst themselves, but not always paying money to the originators of the music ... Spotify isn't always rendering payment down to the artists who created the actual music they are "sharing".
    all that is not an overriding concern to the end user..

I did discover last night that if I leave Spotify running on the PC and turn on the iTouch in bed and run Spotify there that I can SEE the PC iTunes playlists and import my own tunes via the wireless network in my home...mebbe you Apple peoples have been doing this , but for me, a free app that does this on IBMish is a lot of fun

the FREE mobile app wont stream the Spot lib , but the desktop will.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    Thanks Ducatista47, The sound quality for some reason seems to be better than Pandora? I have pandora set at the highest quality and AARP still sounds much better? Thanks for the heads up.
    You are welcome! We seem destined to occasionally trade favors. I wish Pandora sounded the best, because their algorithm is pure witchcraft when it comes to unearthing music you like that you had not heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post

AARP, no kidding.

35 years ago, would not have guessed that sort of thing could happen.

times have certanly changed.

heard this in the grocery store the other day -

Links to streams...Many, many links.

Rather than start another new thread I am tacking this on here. I may have to take a vacation to explore all of the NPR Music resources. Note all the catgories, and the links offering even...MORE. Nice to know there are so many NPR radio stations surviving and even thriving, fighting the good fight.

While the songs aren't announced on the stream I am on, the All Songs Considered offering not a station but an NPR show offering , I can tell I am listening to Richard Thompson. Bliss...

Ah, Winamp shows the titles. "If Love Whispers Your Name." Live!

http://www.npr.org/templates/website...ms.php?t=10002

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Here is how I got a Spotify invite

http://www.spotify.com/us/hello-america/

been having lots of fun wif it .... give a try if interested.
    Have to either be on Facebook or sign up for it.

Sorry Clarke ,

not available in old blighty !

Rich

Thread Information