Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DBX DriveRack 4800

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just curious about the DBX 4800. What is the current street price?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Just curious about the DBX 4800. What is the current street price?
    In Denmark where I live, its about $6000.. but Denmark is very expensive with electronics! I got it for $1800, so it was a no-brainer for me when I was looking for a new speaker processing component anyway. I dont know the price in The US.. Probably $4000-$4500?

yes, appears to be ~$4000USD

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    yes, appears to be ~$4000USD
    Denmark can be a pain when it comes to prices.. Even though one dollar is 5,5 Danish crowns, a rule of thumb says, that we can multiply the US price with 10 to get the Danish price. I actually think, that the one I got was bought in the US... Its a universal power supply, so it fits perfectly to our 230V power grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Denmark can be a pain when it comes to prices.. Even though one dollar is 5,5 Danish crowns, a rule of thumb says, that we can multiply the US price with 10 to get the Danish price.
    Must be a very high import tax. Something's rotten in the kingdom of Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Must be a very high import tax. Something's rotten in the kingdom of Denmark
    Haha, yeah taxes are very high! But we get a lot of stuff for free then. But when you do not need all those things at the moment, you tend to think the money cuold have been spent better elsewhere (like new gear for the home theater ).

But I am very happy for my purchase of the DBX. A week ago, I got a similar offer on 4 Crown CTs amps (just under half the price), so it has been a good couple of weeks... Bad for the bank account, but in the long run, I have saved a lot.

You mention you have the DCX? Do you have any problems with the SN ratio?

You mention you have the DCX? Do you have any problems with the SN ratio?
    I do have some floor noise, caused by the in/out digitsl amplification. I just reduce the input of my amps and increase the output of my preamp. BTW The noise is only audible when no music plays.

Strangely, my analog Behringer CX3400 is exempt of such noise.

Okay, thanks. Now I know what you mean. (This is already at 0 though).

But the image I linked too. How would you set this for the output? The input should be set, so full scale on the Onkyo results in "almost clipping". Do I connect the amps to the DBX and do the same clipping test?

Okay, thanks. Now I know what you mean. (This is already at 0 though) Do I connect the amps to the DBX and do the same clipping test?
    You could do that if you needed maximum output from the amps, but chances are, and hopes are that you don't. If for instance the HF amp input attenuator knob needs only to be at say 10 o'clock for the HF part of the system to play as loud as you would ever play it, then having it there gives you all the volume you need, leaving all the remaining headroom available for dynamics with the minimum amplification of noise. If it is turned up any higher, it only raises the noise floor.

The LF amps may very well require the input attenuator be much higher, like say 3 o'clock or more but the same principal applies, advance the attenuator only as far as needed to achieve the desired maximum loudness. In the event that you don't get enough output with the amp attenuators wide open, (check the amp for switchable input sensitivity) you would then have to increase the 4800's output level to those channels that are not loud enough. At least woofers don't hiss.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

One test would be to set all atenuators on the amps to zero and the volume control on the preamp at max. Then raise the amps' attenuators until the maximum sound level to be sustained at home is reached. This is most likely where the system will produce the least hiss...

It's a quick method to calculate axial modes out to the sixth. In a "normal" rectangular room this will get all modes out to where they are statistically spread out with insignificant energy even in a poorly dimensioned closed acoustical space.

That was a good explanation! I will try it as soon as possible. When you say, unity gain on the output, does this mean setting it to the same value as the input?

I was linking to ths in the post before: http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...1&d=1211144106

This is the options I have for setting the input/output sensitivity.

I only did a quick read on Audyssey and can not argue it's strengths or limitations. I doubt it's execution is bullet proof however.

That said, if we are considering a reasonably standard acoustical space that does not have dimensions with severe aspect ratios or major openings into other rooms, the region where a room is mode dominated can be calculated easily as follows;

Multiply the speed of sound by three, divide the answer by the rooms smallest dimension, eg 344 X 3 = 1032 / 2.44m = 422.9Hz

Divide the speed of sound by two, divide the answer by the rooms largest dimension, eg 344 / 2 = 172 / 5.8m = 29.6Hz

In the above example the region between 30Hz through 423Hz is where modes dominate and cannot be controlled by EQ. Lowering certain offending bands of energy put into the room can only help by not aggravating the beast, but you then have limited the dynamics of the system.

RTA cannot give you good information in this region and EQ really can't help. Do the math and see if this is the region that you don't like what Audyssey is doing.

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I only did a quick read on Audyssey and can not argue it's strengths or limitations. I doubt it's execution is bullet proof however.

That said, if we are considering a reasonably standard acoustical space that does not have dimensions with severe aspect ratios or major openings into other rooms, the region where a room is mode dominated can be calculated easily as follows;

Multiply the speed of sound by three, divide the answer by the rooms smallest dimension, eg 344 X 3 = 1032 / 2.44m = 422.9Hz

Divide the speed of sound by two, divide the answer by the rooms largest dimension, eg 344 / 2 = 172 / 5.8m = 29.6Hz

In the above example the region between 30Hz through 423Hz is where modes dominate and cannot be controlled by EQ. Lowering certain offending bands of energy put into the room can only help by not aggravating the beast, but you then have limited the dynamics of the system.

RTA cannot give you good information in this region and EQ really can't help. Do the math and see if this is the region that you don't like what Audyssey is doing.
    Why are you multiply the speed of sound by three?

JBL 4645
    Jonas_h

What video source components are you running in your home cinema?

Betmax
    VHS
    S/VHS
    Laserdisc
    DVD
    HD-DVD
    Bluray

Thread Information